Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#436869 - 11/10/01 09:10 PM extreme wrist pain
CarolinaSprings1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton, Canada
I've been getting extreme wrist pains lately. I practice about 1.5 to 2.5 hours per day with pieces that usually have large chords. My hands are fairly small but I question whether that is the real reason. I have never had pain in my wrists until this year. Should I see a doctor? Is there a problem with my hand position? If someone has any advice or experience to share please do so.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#436870 - 11/10/01 10:40 PM Re: extreme wrist pain
Amy Offline

Loc: Upstate New York
Definatly see a doctor RIGHT AWAY!! I had wrist problems last year and I had to have surgery to fix it. I also have small hands and sometimes when people with small hands play large chords, they move their hands in akward ways that cause problems. I would recommend trying to find someone who does performing arts medicine. There aren't many of these people around but I know that there is one in Ithaca, NY if you are interested. There is information on the Ithaca College webpage about him under the physical therapy section. If you have any other questions, you can IM me (Aquarius85) or e-mail me at Pianogirl185@aol.com
Make sure you get to a doctor!!

#436871 - 11/16/01 12:00 AM Re: extreme wrist pain
ryan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
I experienced extreme wrist pain for a period in college. I was learning Rachmaninoff's 1st Piano Concerto at the time and some other crashy romantic pieces like Liszt's 10th Transcendental Etude. The pain got so bad that I could hardly stand to turn a door knob after a practice session. My teacher was smart enough to pull back on my work load and give me a chance to recover. In hindsight I think I was practicing with WAY too much weight and stiffness. I was using weight to try to get more clarity and volume on broken down Yamaha G1 practice pianos. What I wound up doing was over stressing my wrists to the point of pain. Wrists can only take so much. Even in big chordal passages you need to make sure to not overplay the piano - that is, don't try to generate more volume than the piano is capable of. Find places to hold back on the volume so that you aren't playing FFF the entire time (this is easier on the listener as well). And make sure not to continue to put pressure on the after the note has sounded - this wastes useless energy and puts a LOT of stress on the wrists. Also, try to keep your wrists up - don't let them sag down below the level of the keys. This puts your hands at an angle to your forearms, which also puts a lot of stress on your wrists. It's ok for the wrists to be higher than your forarms, this is part of having flexible wrists, but the wrists really should rarely or never go below your forarms. Again, this generates a lot of stress.

Another thing, do not practice for too long in a row - 15 to 20 minutes at the most for demanding music. One of my problems was that I was practicing far too long without a breat - 2 to 3 hours. Most of it was not very productive either, because I went unconscious part way through \:\)

Hope this helps. Good luck with it...

Ryan

#436872 - 11/16/01 06:53 PM Re: extreme wrist pain
Jemima Offline

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
yes, you MUST see a doctor..and neogotiate with your teacher (if u have one!) because if u ugnore your pain and continue the same pattern each day, i would predict you'll developing RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) this will not go away! I WARN YOU! so get it checked..

good-luck!

P.S my school music teacher had RSI has a teenager (a very commited pianist) and now she can't barely play anymore!

#436873 - 11/21/01 12:05 AM Re: extreme wrist pain
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

another tip: try to consciously relax your muscles in between the notes. in other words, you play a chord, then let the hand relax before it plays the next chord. the hands need to be given minute breaks like this all through your playing, continuous breathers for your muscles.

if you do get so sore and uncomfortable that you can't play, in addition to taking a long rest, you can learn the alexander technique to insure your body mechanics are correct. and you can also heal damage that may have been done by getting rolfed. i'm told that leon fleisher was able to return to the piano because of rolfing. i am having my arms and hands rolfed now to relieve some old (non-piano related) injuries, and it is helping me a lot. see a certified rolfer.

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#436874 - 11/21/01 08:36 AM Re: extreme wrist pain
Brendan Online   content

Loc: McAllen, TX
And "rolfing" is....

#436875 - 11/21/01 09:40 AM Re: extreme wrist pain
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Rolfing is a kind of bodywork therapy.
www.idaprolf.org

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#436876 - 11/21/01 02:48 PM Re: extreme wrist pain
fr Offline

Loc: illinois
Carolina:

Do you also work at computer keyboards for long periods of time? If so, that may be the source of your wrist pain.

A few years ago, I was experiencing some wrist pain so I bought a computer keyboard wrist pad to support my wrists and started lifting weights to strengthen the forearm flexor/extensor muscles located between the hand and elbow. It worked: the pain gradually went away over a period of time. (The problem didn't develop overnight so it's not going to go away overnight).

Good luck.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help IDing grandfather's 1920s piano exam piece
by Valencia
14 minutes 37 seconds ago
That awkward non-playing hand...
by TX-Bluebonnet
41 minutes 27 seconds ago
New Kawai CE220
by Dr John 48
Today at 09:23 AM
Piano covers
by Jamie
Today at 08:51 AM
Yamaha U3
by RGibson
Today at 06:58 AM
Who's Online
146 registered (accordeur, 255, albumblatter, ajames, 48 invisible), 1418 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76219 Members
42 Forums
157560 Topics
2314300 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission