Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#437647 - 08/19/01 12:21 PM Other instruments.
SethW Offline

Besides the piano.What instruments do you play?
I know that this is not strictly piano related,but I was wondering besides the piano
,what other instruments do you people here play,are curently learning,or would like to play.I will start with my list first:
Violin;in my opinion,along with the piano,this is one of the greatest instruments(certainly the saddest).It's lyrical quality is incredible.There is nothing quite like hearing a violin play an arpeggio in perfect legato(think Schindlers List or some of Bruch's works).Unfortunately, I do not play it.I think this is an instrument I would like to learn, however.Better late than never.
Actualy ,I like almost all of the string instruments.While I do not play any stringed instruments, I do know a lot about there capabilities.As such,I have created a number of compositions for strings.
Guitar;A truly versatile instrument,the guitar is also quite easy to learn.I,however,have never realy liked classical guitar all that much.In my opinion,the piano and other instruments are so much more suited for this.I do like to play simple rustic tunes on it.As a fan of wildlife and nature the guitar is an ideal instrument.I'm sure,in it's own way, that there is nothing quite like playing the guitar at night while camping in some ravine.
Plus,the guitar is incredibly easy to learn(well,maybe not classical).I think that I just might take a try at classical guitar again.
Harmonica;While a lot of people frown on this instrument as not realy being an instrument and such.The harmonica is not a toy and can actualy be a good instrument.The harmonica is probably best at creating simple rustic tunes.It can have a larger scope than some people think.It is surprisingly easy to compose all kinds of good sounding tunes on it.Anyone remember John Williams score to the Reivers?Last of all,the instrument is probably the cheapest,too.
The brass instruments have not, by themselves,exactly been my favourite group of instruments.In orchestras yes,and in some individual or group works,yes. individualy I don't know.If properly used,however, I suppose they can be pretty incredible,too.I hear there pretty easy to learn to.As long as you have soundproof walls or tolerant neighbors ;).
The clarinet is another instrument I like.Unforetunaltely,i cannot play it.Of course there are lots of other instruments out there, to many to mention here.

There are lots of insruments that I would like to play.Some,I already do.What instruments do you play,or like to play, besides the piano.Or what other instruments do you simply enjoy.

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: SethW ]

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#437648 - 08/19/01 12:30 PM Re: Other instruments.
Amy Offline

Loc: Upstate New York
In addition to the piano, I play bassoon and percussion. I switched instruments from the flute to the bassoon a couple years ago. I started playing percussion a couple years ago but I only play mallet percussion (xylophone, marimba ect.) and timpani. I don't play snare drum because frankly, its not worth my time since its not my main instrument. I also have sang for quite a few years.

#437649 - 08/19/01 01:39 PM Re: Other instruments.
PianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philly, PA
well, i know its not an "instrument", but besides the piano I am a vocalist. I also have played the flute for a few years, and a smattering of percussion here and there when needed.

#437650 - 08/19/01 02:36 PM Re: Other instruments.
ChemicalGrl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Durham, North Carolina
Besides playing the piano, I sing. I've tried my hand at the guitar, but where I have heaps of patience at the piano, I have none at the guitar. Still trying to figure that one out. I've always wanted to learn how to play the violin. Had a chance when I was in second grade but as I grew up in a military family, we moved away before I had the chance to start the first lesson with the school orchestra. I have a fascination for the organ as well; I'd love love love love love to learn how to play it.

#437651 - 08/19/01 02:41 PM Re: Other instruments.
Joe Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I play a lot of guitar, that's the instrument I favor when playing any kind of rock or jazz. I even prefer it in chamber music situations to piano, where as for solo repertoire I see the guitar as being limited in comparison to the piano. The classical guitar is a very warm, intimate instrument, well suited to small rooms and chamber settings, and it blends so well with many instruments. The piano in chamber music always seems to end up sounding like solo piano with assorted string/wind accompaniment. I generally don't enjoy piano concertos either, though there are exceptions. Over all I see the piano concerto as being more germane in the classical period, when both the orchestra and the piano had severe limitations, they helped each other out.

Anyway... Oh yes the electric guitar is a very versatile instrument in my opinion, I'd like to use it in some non traditional situations, such as transcribing bach for multiple guitars. I've played some chamber transcriptions in the past, but the warm, sustained violin sound you can get from a guitar in an over driven tube amp would work well for that kind of thing. I've never heard people do this, but you can hear some really nice electric guitar work in an orchestral sort of setting by listening to Queen, especially on their earlier albums, Q I, II, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night At The Opera, A Day At The Races. Speaking of which there's some really good piano playing on those albums, as well as some harp and other instruments.

I also play a little harmonica, and I can play a few things on the diatonic, mostly folk style melodies. The blues is a little trickier, I'm still dabbling with that. I have a nice chromatic, but that's really tough to play. There are some really really fine players out there, both in Jazz and Classical. Stevie Wonder is supposed to be one of the best chromatic players out there. He can play just about everything, he's a super talented guy, and one of my favorite writers/musicians.

I dabble with the mandolin and the banjo, but I'm not very far at all on those. The mandolin is another surprising instrument, there are some really good jazz mandoling players out there, as well as classical. I'll always love hearing good bluegrass mandolin though, I love that stuff.

#437652 - 08/19/01 03:22 PM Re: Other instruments.
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
I know two guitar chords. Thats it. Thats all there is besides piano for me. But thats okay, I love the piano.

#437653 - 08/20/01 06:20 AM Re: Other instruments.
Samejame Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NL, Canada
I can do an Eb maj. scale on an alto sax, I've retained a little bit of trombone and trumpet from my high school band days, and I know 4 or 5 chords on a guitar, but the tin (or penny) whistle is my favourite instrument outside of the keyboard. Where I live, Irish traditional folk music is a mainstay, and the whistle is one of the predominant lead instruments in that style (the others being button accordian and fiddle).

Jamie

#437654 - 08/20/01 06:58 AM Re: Other instruments.
magnezium Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
i used to play electronic organ, that is until i discovered the piano...=] i also sing in a choir... i'd love to learn violin if i had the time and if someone would teach me...=]

#437655 - 08/20/01 10:42 AM Re: Other instruments.
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
piano accordian, the one with a keyboard on the right hand and buttons on the left.

fingerstyle guitar from Robert Johnson to Merle Travis to Charlie Christian.
(If you want to hear someone expand the limits of the classical guitar, pick up some Guy van Duser.)

Back ground vocals buried in a choir.

[ August 20, 2001: Message edited by: DT ]

#437656 - 08/20/01 04:53 PM Re: Other instruments.
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
When I was in high school, I played oboe. (So it was 27 years ago--I've still got the instrument under my bed!)

If I had time to learn another instrument now, it would be cello.

#437657 - 08/21/01 02:38 PM Re: Other instruments.
Allen Offline

Loc: Detroit Michigan
Hi Seth;
Before taking up the Piano, I played and took lessons on the Alto Sax for 8 months. It is still in my closet and I have not got back to it yet. The piano has taken up all my time to learn how to play it well.
Regards,
Allen

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (accordeur, Al LaPorte, Alex-SapRenovation, 43 invisible), 1869 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75574 Members
42 Forums
156262 Topics
2294814 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Proper chunking method
by Edtek
07/29/14 03:10 PM
Lamp for Piano
by DancerJ
07/29/14 03:08 PM
Sonatina in G
by Ritzycat
07/29/14 03:06 PM
schulze pollmann upright piano SP-114/p4
by how0425
07/29/14 03:01 PM
Looking for my next piece
by Mallory
07/29/14 02:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission