2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Could someone who has learned this piece please comment on the technical difficulty involved?
I absolutely love this piece and would do almost anything(within reason smile ) to be able to play it. Are any of you guys also crazy about this piece?
Any recommendations on recordings?
Thanks for any input! smile

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've been playing it for about a year now and it's not that technically challenging. It may seem like it is at first, but just keep your wrists loose and practice very slowly. I think more than anything, you need some endurance to play the leaps without making it sound like much of an effort, especially toward the end. As for recordings, I think Ashkenazy plays it better than anyone else and at the ideal tempo.

Mike

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Of course "challenging" is a relative term, but to my mind(based on my attempts to learn it and hearing it in concert)it is extremely challenging except for the middle section. I can still remember my high school teacher saying that it caused problems for even such a titanic technician as Gilels.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There are two things to really watch on this piece. One is the rhythm. It is very easy to maul Rachmaninoff's rhythmic intent. The second is to watch your dynamics. Over and over again i have heard this piece "banged" out on the piano without any thought to putting character behind it.
It is difficult, yes, but definatly not out of reach. It is one of Rachmaninoff's easier pieces, and with some metrenome work and perserverence it can definatly be pulled out succesfully.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Pianoloverus,

I would suggest you work very slowly with metronome (as suggested above), and analyze the technique you think will be required at tempo. Over-do it when practicing, and try and sense the "feel" you think will be required later on.

For example, watch for down-wrist or up-wrist movement, using the keyboard rebound to spring off of a chord when possible, preparing for the next chord while playing the previous (in terms of hand position and fingers if possible). Arm weight for the first chord of the rhythmic motive or for the melodic line (based on the rhythmic position in the measure). Often one hand can be "blind" in finding the next chord/octave, allowing you to be aware that you need to look at a specific point on the keyboard for the coming jump (when tempo increases, students tend to get sloppy because -- in part -- you can't look at two places at one time).

Economy of motion for Rachmaninoff is essential. Use too much brute strength, and you'll run out halfway through the first page. Consider that the loudest accents are done with the wrist (Russian School), the fingers can be in contact with the notes and never leave. Fingers can also produce accents from above, if they are considered the "end of the whip" from the upper arm through the forearm and snapped via the wrist. You can also play loud and produce accents using predominantly finger technique with arm weight (German School). . .and in Rach, you need to use all of the above and much more.

There's a whole bunch of wonderful technique to be learned from this Prelude. Keep in mind: you have the same equipment as anyone else that worked on this piece, why can't you master it? The answer is in the technique you must allow yourself to discover while working on difficult repertoire. You will have to think about arms, elbows, and in this particular Prelude, leaning (when to lean, how far), where you should sit (try sitting in front of G, 4th below middle C), etc. etc.

Keep it dead slow, with metronome, so slow that you agree to send me 25-cents for any wrong note or incorrect fingering. . .that's how slow I would suggest you start out. wink That's a joke (sort of), but I'm also suggesting how critical the initial stages of conceptualizing are. You will never master this piece if you allow yourself to simply play it 1,000 times any old way, and then hope to somehow correct things when everything falls apart as you approach 1/2 performance tempo.

Sorry for the long "soap box" post, don't mean to get so overbearing!! Must be the awful day I had, wife forced me to paint the bedroom - - including the ceiling, and now wants some kind of border.

Geez, I hate the brute strenght work! Wax on...wax off laugh

Rein Vaga, DMA

Oh, another thought I've suggested to students. Comes from Ali, and keep this in mind for overall technique:
You need to "float like a butterfly
. . . sting like a bee"

smile smile smile

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission