2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 9 invisible), 1,771 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Alright. My piano teacher just sprung on me that i am playing Tchaikovsky's piano concerto 1. What is this like? i have yet to hear it, though he is giving me a CD of him playing it with an orchestra. Is it really hard? What other famous peices is it like? Any tips? From what some people are telling me, its pretty hard, but they haven't played it. Help! eek

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
J
J
I'm not 100% positive on this, but I believe this is the piece that Van Cliburn won an international contest with. Someone please correct me if I'm off base here. I have listened to it, and all I can say is, it's powerful, and WAY out of my league.

Good luck,
Josh

Josh
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It was indeed the Tchaikovsky first that rocketed Van Cliburn to fame when he won the International Tchaikovsky Competition back in the mid '50s. (Not at home, so I can't check the exact date. His recording of it is still available on RCA) This concerto is one of the standard "warhorses" of the romantic repertoire and, truth be told, is quite difficult, though effective when well played.

Enjoy studying it.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's bark is worse than it's bite. It's a big romantic virtuoso concerto that is one of the standard warhorses (lots and lots of recordings of it -- often played poorly -- a few exciting performances; was the basis for a popular song in the 1940's; most folks will easly recognize the opening bar of the first movement --in this regard it's sort of surprising that you're a piano major, but have never heard this concerto). I think I learned it when I was around 15 or 16 (sometime after learning the Grieg --so as to what it sounds like you can compare it to that and the Liszt no 1 etc, etc ---infact it often get coupled on recordings with the Greig). You'll need lots of stamina to get through the octaves, leaps, and so forth. But's manageable and, imho, falls rather nicely into the hands. I think the last movement is the more difficult --and more exciting--of the three movements.

Recordings: Vlad Horowitz, Martha Agerich, Santiago Rodriguez, Artur Rubinstein, Emil Gilels, Van Cliburn. All have made top drawer recordings. There are newer ones, but it's not one of the works I listen to that much (any longer). So perhaps others here can recommend some good newer recordings.

It's great fun to play, so enjoy learning!

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: netizen ]

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Van Cliburn was catapulted into world fame by winner the First Tchaikovsky Competition in 1958. The Russians were so confident of their pianistic 'strangle-hold' on the world they pre-determined Lev Flasenko to win the competition. Along came the 6'4" lanky Texan who floored the Russians with both Tchaikovsky 1 and Rachmaninov 3. Flasenko had to live with a Silver medal. I was just listening last night once again Cliburn's Rach 3 recorded back in 1958 shortly after his grand slam win. His mercurial reading remains, IMHO, to be matchless.

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: AndrewG ]

DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As Jolly would tell you, the lanky Texan was born in Shreveport, LA. where he made his first public performance at age 4. He moved to Kilgore, Texas at age 6 and became a lifelong Texan regardless of where his travels take him. I have an album of his called "My Favorite Rachmaninoff" which includes Sonata #2, OP 36; Etude-Tableau, and seven preludes. The title may just be a record company marketing ploy.

Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as heck...
Z
Z
Has anyone heard of my friend Emile Lambrev?

He's a pianist who won first place in the Tchaikovsky competition in 1978.

He has his own classical cd. His address is: www.emileandemilio.com

Glenn Gould in regards to music:

The problem begins when one forgets the artificiality of it all, when one neglects to pay homage to those designations that to our minds-to our reflect senses, perhaps-make of music an analyzable commodity. The trouble begins when we start to become so impressed by the strategies of ours systematized thought that we forget that it does relate to an obverse, that it is hewn from negation, that it is but a very small security against the void of negation which surrounds it.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
No, I've not heard of him... If I'm not grossly mistaken Mikhail Pletnev won the Tschaikovsky competition in 1978. frown

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: netizen ]

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
He's a pianist who won first place in the Tchaikovsky competition in 1978.

more like:

In 1978, at the age of eighteen, Emile was the youngest participant in the “Tchaikovsky Fifth International Piano Competition” in Moscow.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Zelda,

Your friend was not a prize-winner of that competition. He was a contestant. netizen is correct. Here is the winners list of that year:

1st Mikhail Pletnev (USSR)
2nd Pascal Devoyons (France)
2nd Andre Laplante (Canada)
3rd Nikolai Demidenko (USSR)
3rd Evgeny Ryvkin (USSR)
4th Terens Jado (UK)
4th Boris Petrov (USSR)
5th Christian Blackshaw (UK)
6th Naum Grubert (USSR)

Rgds,
AndrewG

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: AndrewG ]

Z
Z
Ok I must have mistinterpreted what he told me about the event and assumed untrue facts.

Zeldah

The problem begins when one forgets the artificiality of it all, when one neglects to pay homage to those designations that to our minds-to our reflect senses, perhaps-make of music an analyzable commodity. The trouble begins when we start to become so impressed by the strategies of ours systematized thought that we forget that it does relate to an obverse, that it is hewn from negation, that it is but a very small security against the void of negation which surrounds it.
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by ZeldaHanson:
Ok I must have mistinterpreted what he told me about the event and assumed untrue facts.

Zeldah

Why does everything have to be a personal insult to you? It's not like they were purposely rubbing it in your face (Andrew is far too nice for that); it was a simple correction.

Edit:
PianoMuse,

It is a very difficult piece by any standards, IMHO. I tried it a few years ago and thought that the writing was a little unpianistic (puts your hands in awkward positions or requires extreme ends of a technical device). It's much more difficult to play than Rachmaninoff 2nd (for my hands). The melodies and Tchaikovsky's luscious harmonic language really make it worth the struggle, though. The slow theme in the first movement is divine.

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: Brendan ]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Brendan,

confused I'm sorry to butt in here, but I must admit that when I read Zelda's reply, I did not interpret it at all the same way you did. I get the impression she was simply correcting herself and taking responsibility for her statement. I think if you re-read it you will see what I mean.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
Z
Z
Thank you for that statement Bernard. It's true; I was simply correcting myself. I felt foolish to have assumed that because he told me he entered the competition, that he had won.But Im still excited for Emile. smile

to Brendan:

I think just because most of my past posts were defending myself dramatically from insulting statements that now you view everything I say as though I'm using a snobby tone. I'm not.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Since we are on this subject, I have a question. Would it be a good idea to play this concerto with a 2nd piano, for a school concert? I think the only problem would be how the 2 pianos would interact in the concert hall, if the sound would be close to the orchestra effects (of course the piano is not an orchestra or close to it). I have only heard this in smaller rooms, so I am curious if anybody has any experience or thinks this is a good idea. ( since the school has no orchestra)

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
CrashTest,

It will undoubtedly depend on the hall and it's acoustics. I have heard parts of a Beethoven concerto with the orchestral part played by a second piano in a recital hall of decent size. I mean it wasn't huge but it wasn't small either, maybe 300 seats(?), but the acoustics were good and the concerto sounded OK.

Of course, when you say School concert I immediately think gymnasium because that is where we had concerts when I was in school. In this situation, it would not sound good, I think.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
It is not in a gym, but an auditorium with about 1000 seats. The acoustics are very good, so I think the concertos should sound good with only 2 pianos.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by CrashTest:
Since we are on this subject, I have a question. Would it be a good idea to play this concerto with a 2nd piano, for a school concert? I think the only problem would be how the 2 pianos would interact in the concert hall, if the sound would be close to the orchestra effects... ( since the school has no orchestra)

For 2 piano playing, a larger acoustic space works better than a small. In a small room it is almost impossible to distinguish one piano part from the other, but the larger space lets the sound develope which makes it much easier for the listener's ear to seperate the parts.

Another idea that has worked for me on one occasion is to use a digital piano for the "orchestra" part. This will allow you to experiment with different sounds for the 2nd piano--

Mat D.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission