Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#441588 - 12/21/07 05:10 PM Why this fingering?
RachOn Offline

Loc: W. Pa.
In many editions (especially older ones), repeated notes are marked to be played with different fingers instead of repeating the same finger. This is true even when this changing of the fingering creates a significantly more awkward feel.

Why is/was this considered a preferred practice?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#441589 - 12/21/07 05:14 PM Re: Why this fingering?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
You can play MUCH faster if you switch fingerings. Even if it may seem awkward at first, with practice, you'd be surprised how fast you can go.

#441590 - 12/21/07 05:56 PM Re: Why this fingering?
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
changing fingers is rarely necessary if it's not a fast passage which calls for it (ravels "toccata" for instance, or "scarbo"). To change fingers for the repeated notes in, say, the last movement of Beethovens 3rd concerto, rondo theme, is not necessary. Yet, the idea of changing fingers seems to have been a sort of "standard rule" sometime ago, just as it used to be a standard rule to never (if not necessary) use the thumb on black keys...both of these standard rules are quite useless.

#441591 - 12/21/07 06:05 PM Re: Why this fingering?
Alexander Hanysz Offline

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
 Quote:
Originally posted by RachOn:
In many editions (especially older ones), repeated notes are marked to be played with different fingers instead of repeating the same finger. This is true even when this changing of the fingering creates a significantly more awkward feel.

Why is/was this considered a preferred practice? [/b]
It's an idea that's useful in some situations (e.g, playing very fast), but some people turn it into a dogma and apply it even when it's not appropriate.

The same thing happens with the idea that the thumb should not be used on black notes--sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but there will be people out there who insist on doing it all the time.

I find the Henle editions which are fingered by Hans-Martin Theopold to be particularly irritating in this respect, although Henle is still good for many other reasons.

#441592 - 12/21/07 06:34 PM Re: Why this fingering?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
 Quote:
Originally posted by fnork:
changing fingers is rarely necessary if it's not a fast passage which calls for it (ravels "toccata" for instance, or "scarbo"). To change fingers for the repeated notes in, say, the last movement of Beethovens 3rd concerto, rondo theme, is not necessary. Yet, the idea of changing fingers seems to have been a sort of "standard rule" sometime ago, just as it used to be a standard rule to never (if not necessary) use the thumb on black keys...both of these standard rules are quite useless. [/b]
This is very true! There is no reason to play switching fingers when it is not required.

I'm just used to playing fast music, so my perception is a little skewed. \:D

Be it known that I use thumbs on black keys often BTW.

#441593 - 12/22/07 04:38 AM Re: Why this fingering?
dorfmouse Offline

I agree with not applying 'rules' mindlessly and always thinking about the musical purpose of any technique. I generally find that changing fingers is helpful for clarity in fast passages, and also is more expressive; when I don't change it sounds like I'm prodding the notes and I get tense.

#441594 - 12/22/07 11:50 AM Re: Why this fingering?
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
Like dorfmouse, I too find that changing fingers is helpful for clarity and articulation, but if I want to keep the volume low on a repeated note, like in Schubert's B-flat Op. Posthumous Sonata for example, I will keep the same finger on the repeated note because I can control it better.

John

#441595 - 12/22/07 12:00 PM Re: Why this fingering?
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Sometimes changing fingers on repeated notes takes advantage of the different lengths and weight of the fingers to better create rhythmic patterns.

For example, I at first found it necessary to change fingers for the repeated triplet octaves in the accompaniment of Schubert's "Erlkoenig," because of fatique that would build up in my wrist.

But there is a better reason to change fingers in "Erlkoenig," having to to do with setting up rhythmic patterns. By fingering the repeated triplet octaves 3 2 1 in each hand, you naturally give more weight to the first note, creating what I think is a more impatient and galloping effect. The same effect is lost using the wrist or forarm, as it results in too even an articulation of the triplet.

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#441596 - 12/22/07 12:52 PM Re: Why this fingering?
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mount Vernon, Georgia 30445
Rudolph Ganz, a prominent pianist of the early 1900's (1877--1972), teacher, conductor, etc., has a good explanation of the fingering in question here in his revision of the book, THE LITERATURE OF THE PIANO, 3rd Edition, by Ernest Hutcheson. It is very enlightening as to why one should or should not use changing fingers on a repeated note. His is a very practical approach to this problem. Your local library might have a copy or can get it on loan if easy access is not available.

#441597 - 12/22/07 01:28 PM Re: Why this fingering?
C H O P I N Offline

Loc: England
It provides a "better feel" to the music for me, but I wouldn't use finger changing on a note that wasn't comfortable to play that way unless COMPLETELY necessary, but usualy it is comfortable anyway - so I use it. You could use a single finger to play the repeated "A" in the bass line of Fur Elise (Theme C) but because it's notated as "staccato", I find it more appropriate to use 3 fingers rather than one - it keeps the articulation more even

C H O P I N

#441598 - 12/22/07 08:49 PM Re: Why this fingering?
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
The other reason for changing fingers is for the bouncing-off effect so you can change the hand position quickly to line up with another part of the keyboard - land on the 3, change to the 5 to move the right hand in for example.

John

#441599 - 12/23/07 01:28 PM Re: Why this fingering?
cjsm Offline

Loc: Washington, MO
 Quote:
Originally posted by RachOn:

Why is/was this considered a preferred practice? [/b]
I know what you mean. I've seen passages which are simple to play and fit naturally under the fingers if one doesn't switch fingers; and the given fingering of switching fingers will make the passage vastly more complicated and much more awkward to play. Stupid fingering in my book, with no real reason behind them then to fit some pedantic rule.

I normally don't switch fingers unless I need to switch to set up the next passage. To me this feels more natural, maybe because that's what I'm used to with my background in rock and pop. But if you can play it excellently without switching fingers, why switch?

Many excellent replies in this post. And I agree with the general consensus. Switching fingers can be helpful for certain fast passages, and in certain situations, but it is wrongly applied to everything. Many academics are too pedantic and have a hard time thinking out of the box.

In general, much of the fingering I have seen in piano books is poor. While some fingerings are insightful, and really help me, others are really poor, and mess me up until I come up with my own, often much better fingerings. I have many pieces which I have two copies in different books, and they will have vastly different fingering. Bach pieces are often like this, due to their complexity. One example I can think of is the Palmer edition of Bach's Three Part Inventions. The fingering he gave for the Three Part Invention #15 in B minor kept messing me up until I tried another editon which had a much better fingering. I also have a couple editions of Bach's Little Fugues, which have vastly different fingerings for the same pieces.

In short, take the given fingering of a piece as a starting point to create your own fingering which fits your own style, not as something written in stone. I rarely play a piece without making significant changes to the given fingering. Changes which I think are often vast improvements.

#441600 - 12/23/07 06:12 PM Re: Why this fingering?
Alexander Hanysz Offline

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
 Quote:
Originally posted by tomasino:
But there is a better reason to change fingers in "Erlkoenig," having to to do with setting up rhythmic patterns. By fingering the repeated triplet octaves 3 2 1 in each hand...[/b]
Um, how many hands do you have, if that's not a silly question? Two hands to play the octaves, and then one more for the bass line???

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
114 registered (aesop, 36251, Allard, Abby Pianoman, Alux, 27 invisible), 1286 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156858 Topics
2304809 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do you use a method series to teach jazz? What series?
by Maechre
30 minutes 48 seconds ago
Tuning my piano with an app
by johan d
Today at 03:14 AM
Tuning a piano
by johan d
Today at 02:14 AM
Yamaha CLP-430 or Roland RP-401?
by masterboy
Today at 01:22 AM
NY Steinway in Russia
by victor kam
Today at 12:38 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission