Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#441766 - 10/28/07 11:06 AM Scales.
Mr. Virtuoso Offline

Loc: meh humps
Hello! I'm mainly studying techinque and theory. Recently, my teacher recommends that I practice the scales in wide-keys (C maj, C min, D maj, D min, E maj, E min, F maj, F min, G maj, G min, A maj, A min, B maj, B min, C maj, and so on).

I was wondering, how should I learn/practice scales? I know I shouldn't play them with my fingers at HIGH position nor TOO low position. How should I master those scales cleanly with moderate/fast speed? Thanks!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#441767 - 10/28/07 11:20 AM Re: Scales.
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

When I first learn a scale, I play HS one octave. When I get more comforatble I'll use HT for just one octave. After that feel's comfortable I'll move to 2 octaves with sixteenth notes and triplets. You can also to thirds, sixths, octaves, and contrary motion which helps alot!

Matt

#441768 - 10/28/07 11:27 AM Re: Scales.
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
I recommend practicing scales with a metronome - because that's what I do - and starting as slowly as you are comfortable with. Fingers should not be held high above the keys, but rather close to - if not touching - the keys.

One of the most important aspects of practicing scales is to listen to what you are playing; scales should be clean, even and legato, for a start. You can change touch (detached, staccato) after you master the scale initially. Once you are comfortable with a certain tempo, increase the tempo by increasing the speed on the metronome, one "notch" at a time. Don't be in too much of a hurry to increase your speed as accuracy and evenness may suffer.

What do you mean by "wide keys"?

Regards,

#441769 - 10/28/07 11:37 AM Re: Scales.
Mr. Virtuoso Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BruceD:
I recommend practicing scales with a metronome - because that's what I do - and starting as slowly as you are comfortable with. Fingers should not be held high above the keys, but rather close to - if not touching - the keys.

One of the most important aspects of practicing scales is to listen to what you are playing; scales should be clean, even and legato, for a start. You can change touch (detached, staccato) after you master the scale initially. Once you are comfortable with a certain tempo, increase the tempo by increasing the speed on the metronome, one "notch" at a time. Don't be in too much of a hurry to increase your speed as accuracy and evenness may suffer.

What do you mean by "wide keys"?

Regards, [/b]
Well, my teacher gave the term practicing 'wide-key' scales, which means to practice the scales in the keys of C, D, E, F, G, A, and B (major and minor are additional).

#441770 - 10/28/07 11:43 AM Re: Scales.
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Do what BruceD said.

Start as slow as it takes to get them *perfect*, and ramp up the speed slowly. Don't increase until you can play at whatever tempo you're doing a few times in a row.

#441771 - 10/28/07 11:44 AM Re: Scales.
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'm still not sure what you mean by "wide-key". Scales starting on a white key?

#441772 - 10/28/07 11:54 AM Re: Scales.
Mr. Virtuoso Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Debussy20:
I'm still not sure what you mean by "wide-key". Scales starting on a white key? [/b]
Hmmm, I didn't know if my teacher meant 'wide-keys' or 'white-keys'. Sorry, I think I could've went with term 'white-key'.

But, anyway, you're right. They're scales meant to be played only starting on a white key (no accidentals).

#441773 - 10/28/07 12:02 PM Re: Scales.
Mr. Virtuoso Offline

BTW, this may seem a little obvious but does your 4th and 5th finger (pinky) affect how you learn/practice scales?

#441774 - 10/29/07 02:16 PM Re: Scales.
Kevin88 Offline

I was always taught to practice scales with a metronome - 1 octave in quarter notes, two octaves in eighth notes, three octaves in thirds and four octaves in sixteenths, always paying strict attention to evenness. I recently started playing all scales every day (rotating through the circle of fifths starting on C Major and ending with e minor). This has helped a lot, since scales are grouped into similar forms when you play them through in order (C-a-F-d-Bb-g-Eb-c etc.)

It's also important to focus on evenness of tone between the left and right hand.

Once you master the basics of a scale, it then becomes important to practice it in different ways - crescendos, decrescendos, accels, decels, etc. Most often, when a scale appears im a piece of music, it is accompanied by certain dynamics and so it's important to practice them this way.

Just my 2 cents.

Kevin

#441775 - 11/01/07 09:10 AM Re: Scales.
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Virtuoso:
BTW, this may seem a little obvious but does your 4th and 5th finger (pinky) affect how you learn/practice scales? [/b]
No, it doesn't affect *how* you practice your scales. They are 'weaker' fingers, however, and by tha tI mean they are not able to move independently as the other fingers and thumb can. The most important part of practicing scales is to make sure you are playing evenly (playing with the metronome can help this, but it's not necessary, imo) and consistently with the correct fingering. Starting hands separately doing one octave is the best, and then do one octave hands together when that is comfortable. I usually assign one scale a week for my beginning students so they can really focus on getting everything correct before moving on to another scale.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#441776 - 11/01/07 12:48 PM Re: Scales.
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Mr. Virtuoso,

I think your teacher is asking you to play the major scales with "WHITE key starts" of which there are 7 letter names A-G. Then there are 5 BLACK key starts, all together 12 scales within an octave.

Do you know the tetrachord + tetrachord formula for creating a major scale. That is quite important to know "what" you are doing and how to create your own major scales from any given note.

Then there is being able to follow the Circle of 5ths progression as it is a relationship of adding one new # or one new b in order. # keys are on the right (clockwise) from C at the top, and b keys are on the left (counterclockwise) from C at the top. There are certain scales at the bottom which has 2 spellings in #'s and in b's. They sound the same, play the same notes, same fingering, but they are named differently. (Enharmonics)

I would first recommend that you have learned the 12 5-Finger Positions (the first 5 degrees of the major scale)BEFORE starting the major scale. Many people bypass this very important step.

(You had said "wide" keys in your posting above, and I wondered it that was a misunderstanding on your part, or a typo.)

(I also don't understand your question about 4th and 5th fingering.) I have some documents about fingering too, that would help you. You see there are certain "rules" we can depend on - knowing them can make your journey on the piano much easier.

Please feel free to PM me. I have a lot of "tricks" up my sleeves as I've been teaching piano for 37 years.

Betty

#441777 - 11/01/07 05:27 PM Re: Scales.
Aviator1010110 Offline

Loc: United States
I would recommend what BruceD said PLUS this:

Practice in rhythms as well. Play the scales at a moderate tempo as sixteenth notes in groups of four. Pause on the first sixteenth of each group. Then the second, third, and fourth. This will clean them up in no time.

Ex. Pause on the first C Maj.
Ta.....TaTaTaTa.....TaTaTaTa
C......D.E.F.G......A.B.C.D

Second
TaTa.....TaTaTaTa.....TaTaTaTa
C.D......E.F.G.A......B.C.D.E

Third
TaTaTa.....TaTaTaTa.....TaTaTaTa etc...
C.D.E......F.G.A.B......C.D.E.F

#441778 - 11/01/07 06:03 PM Re: Scales.
crazypianolover Offline

I recently started college which means I changed piano teachers. My new teacher has me practice two scales a week. She has me practice a major scale and its relative minor scale, like C major and A minor. This helps me learn the scales easier because I can relate the key of the major scale to its relative minor scale. I also practice my scales with a metronome starting slowly and then gently increasing the speed. I rarely spend more than 15 minutes on my scales a day because then I become frustrated with them. I don't know how much time you spend on your scales but 15 minutes seems to work for me.

Hope this helps.

crazypianolover

#441779 - 11/02/07 03:04 PM Re: Scales.
Mr. Virtuoso Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Morodiene:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Virtuoso:
BTW, this may seem a little obvious but does your 4th and 5th finger (pinky) affect how you learn/practice scales? [/b]
No, it doesn't affect *how* you practice your scales. They are 'weaker' fingers, however, and by tha tI mean they are not able to move independently as the other fingers and thumb can. The most important part of practicing scales is to make sure you are playing evenly (playing with the metronome can help this, but it's not necessary, imo) and consistently with the correct fingering. Starting hands separately doing one octave is the best, and then do one octave hands together when that is comfortable. I usually assign one scale a week for my beginning students so they can really focus on getting everything correct before moving on to another scale. [/b]
That's a good start.

And as far as the metronome, I have a Casio digital keyboard with an 'optional' metronome. But for my acoustic piano, I don't have one yet. However, I'm planning to get one though.

Would it be a disadvantage if you DON'T have a metronome with your acoustic piano?

#441780 - 11/02/07 05:12 PM Re: Scales.
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
FINGERING “RULES - Betty Patnude
"Piano Power"

I hope this explanation stay formated here! If not, it can be e-mailed to your home as an attachment if you will provide your e-mail address to me by private message at PWF.

GROUPS OF KEYS
1) 2 BLACK KEYS and 3 WHITE KEYS
C-D-E
RH 1-2-3

2) 3 BLACK KEYS and 4 WHITE KEYS
F-G-A-B
RH 1-2-3-4

RH 1-2-3-1-2-3-4-5 (5 is the "Brake”)
C-D-E-E-F-A-B-C
LH 5-4-3-2-1-3-2-1 (1 is the "Brake")

5 FINGER POSITIONS (Comes prior to Major Scale)
RH Fingering 1 2 3 4 5
C D E F G
LH Fingering 5 4 3 2 1

C MAJOR SCALE ONE OCTAVE
RH Fingering 1 2 3 x1 2 3 4 5
LH Fingering 5 4 3 2 1 x3 2 1
1) Contrary Motion from Middle C
2) Parallel Motion in Parallel C
Play ascending and descending One Octave
Ascending, continue playing for two or more octaves by not using the RH 5 until completed. Then descend.

BLACK KEY FINGERING
2 BLACK KEYS 3 BLACK KEYS
RH 2 3 RH 2 3 4
U U U U U
LH 3 2 4 3 2

CHROMATIC SCALE FINGERING
Black notes are finger 3
White notes are finger 1
Adjacent white notes need finger 2 (“Bridging”)

There are only two possible starts for the MIRRORED CHROMATIC SCALE.
1) Play in Contrary Motion from Middle D
2) Play in Contrary Motion from Ab

#441781 - 11/02/07 06:32 PM Re: Scales.
Mr. Virtuoso Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Betty Patnude:
FINGERING “RULES - Betty Patnude
"Piano Power"

I hope this explanation stay formated here! If not, it can be e-mailed to your home as an attachment if you will provide your e-mail address to me by private message at PWF.

GROUPS OF KEYS
1) 2 BLACK KEYS and 3 WHITE KEYS
C-D-E
RH 1-2-3

2) 3 BLACK KEYS and 4 WHITE KEYS
F-G-A-B
RH 1-2-3-4

RH 1-2-3-1-2-3-4-5 (5 is the "Brake”)
C-D-E-E-F-A-B-C
LH 5-4-3-2-1-3-2-1 (1 is the "Brake")

5 FINGER POSITIONS (Comes prior to Major Scale)
RH Fingering 1 2 3 4 5
C D E F G
LH Fingering 5 4 3 2 1

C MAJOR SCALE ONE OCTAVE
RH Fingering 1 2 3 x1 2 3 4 5
LH Fingering 5 4 3 2 1 x3 2 1
1) Contrary Motion from Middle C
2) Parallel Motion in Parallel C
Play ascending and descending One Octave
Ascending, continue playing for two or more octaves by not using the RH 5 until completed. Then descend.

BLACK KEY FINGERING
2 BLACK KEYS 3 BLACK KEYS
RH 2 3 RH 2 3 4
U U U U U
LH 3 2 4 3 2

CHROMATIC SCALE FINGERING
Black notes are finger 3
White notes are finger 1
Adjacent white notes need finger 2 (“Bridging”)

There are only two possible starts for the MIRRORED CHROMATIC SCALE.
1) Play in Contrary Motion from Middle D
2) Play in Contrary Motion from Ab [/b]
That's a pretty good start!

However, I just wanted to know how I move my fingers (not too high nor too low I presume) when I play scales.

Should I keep a flat wrist for the most part or should I keep a curved wrist for the most part as well when learning scales?

#441782 - 11/11/07 11:46 AM Re: Scales.
Mr. Virtuoso Offline

Thanks everyone, BTW! \:\)

#441783 - 11/11/07 06:57 PM Re: Scales.
Aviator1010110 Offline

Loc: United States
Keep your wrist straight but loose. It should not arch up/down or side to side for scales.

As far as finger height: Do what feels natural. I wouldn't worry too much about this unless you find yourself exaggerating finger movements. Just make sure you don't have "flying pinky syndrome" (When not in use your pinky shouldn't rise high off the keys).

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
84 registered (anotherscott, 36251, Al LaPorte, AndrewJCW, barbaram, 25 invisible), 1479 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156300 Topics
2295483 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
07/31/14 08:03 AM
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
07/31/14 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
07/31/14 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
07/31/14 01:10 AM
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
07/30/14 10:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission