2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (brdwyguy, accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,896 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Lacquer Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Does anyone know very much about what various great composers thought of each other? e.g. what Brahms thought of Mozart or whatever.

Vague question I know but I was just interested.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Some that i know of:

Mozart heard a very yonge beethoven play and remarked something along the lines of "one day he will make a great sound in the world"

Chopin hated schumann's piano music, and schumann loved Chopin...they both dedicated works to each other

Schubert hugely admired beethoven and felt he could never live up to his high standards

Gershwin greatly admired Ravel and even asked him for lessons (although i have since learnt he asked pretty much everyone for lessons)they met once and spent most of the night playing piano for each other

and while not composers some pianists thoughts may also be interesting discussion:

Gould: loved Bach, Gibbons (who he called the greatest composer ever)Prokofiev(who he thouht was the greatest 20th century composer)schoenberg, beethoven (though he hated the hammerclavier and the more heroic beethoven

He hated: all of rachmoninoff, only liked very early mozart, recorded that i know of only one piece by chopin (3rd sonata)hated schumann, and hated recording the piano quintet

richter greatly admired gould and gould called richter the greatest living pianist

Brendel greatly disliked gould and in a well known essay he wrote on bach performance in the 20th century, he fails to mention gould at all

i suspect rubenstien would have disliked gould a lot

Horowitz: recorded no brahms at all in the last 40-50 years of his life...he said he was on bad terms with him
he also commented on how boring he found the majority of pianists perfoming during the later part of his life, although he singled out weisenberg as a good pianist

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
oh a couple more i just remembered:

Chopin and liszt were good friends..at least on piece by chopin that ive played bears the dedication "a son ami Franz Liszt" I apologize if thats spelled completely wrong...

Chopin and Alkan were very good friends

and i vaguly remember an anecdote about one composer (possibly beethoven??) saying that if he came accross the grave of another composer (possibly Bach??) he would bow his head down out of reverence.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Clementi greatly admired Mozart. The feeling wasn't mutual.

Beethoven respected Haydn enough to dedicate a piano sonata to him.

Does anyone not know about Brahms' romantic feelings for Clara Schumann?

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Beverly Sills
A
A
Clara's a whore.

-_-;;
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally posted by plays88keys:
Beethoven respected Haydn enough to dedicate a piano sonata to him.

He also, uh, picked up more than a few good ideas from him. wink

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Plays, I heard about the relationship but know no details.
Do you know if it was ever constipated? whome

Does this throw the true authorship if "The Happy Farmer" into doubt, or merely redouble the search for Brahms missing manuscript entitled "The Happy Camper"?

original (non-degraded) post by Ms.Plays88keys (make sure to say it with the "zzz" sound so she doesn't get mad at me) smile
----------

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
i remember when i was a kid there were often reruns on tv of some old black and white movie about the love triangle between the schumanns and brahms. anyone remember the name of that film?

it was so tragic, brahms' unrequited love for clara, and his noble respect for his friend robert, and all their little towheaded kids running around the piano.

i was about seven or eight years old, and in love with the young brahms. i remember trying to figure out how i could get him to quit pining after that old hag clara and pay some attention to me! (movies are still very real to me sometimes!)

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The Song of Love, 1947

Katharine Hepburn .... Clara Wieck Schumann
Paul Henreid .... Robert Schumann (Bogarts lover's real husband in Casa Blanca...Henreid, Not Schumann....jeeesh...
Robert Walker .... Johannes Brahms
Henry Daniell .... Franz Liszt
Leo G. Carroll .... Prof. Wieck
Elsa Janssen .... Bertha

Robert Walker played a VERY creepy character in Strangers on a Train (1951) .... Bruno Anthony

Träumerei (1944)
Directed by
Harald Braun

Hilde Krahl .... Clara Wieck Schumann
Mathias Wieman .... Robert Schumann
Friedrich Kayßler .... Friedrich Wieck
Emil Lohkamp .... Franz List
(This one was in German, so probably NOT what you were watching)

Any bells rung?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
i think i would have recognized katherine hepburn and paul henreid, and i don't remember them being in the cast. of course, since i was all eyes for the young brahms actor, maybe i wouldn't have noticed. laugh

traumerai sounds like the right title. maybe i saw this dubbed in english? i seem to remember english accents. but i don't see brahms listed as a character.

did you get this info from some kind of movie fanatics website?

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
imdb.com InternetMovieDataBase.com

Its pretty good about everything EXCEPT sound track information.
OneName = Music Director, that's all.

little stuff its got by the bushel and cross-referenced. Want to know which one-legged Frenchman was an "assistant grip" on more than ONE Alfred Hitchcock Black&White movie? you could probably find it on this site.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by RKVS1:
Plays, I heard about the relationship but know no details.
Do you know if it was ever constipated? whome

Does this throw the true authorship if "The Happy Farmer" into doubt, or merely redouble the search for Brahms missing manuscript entitled "The Happy Camper"?

original (non-degraded) post by Ms.Plays88keys (make sure to say it with the "zzz" sound so she doesn't get mad at me) smile
----------
Bob, I don't think I could ever be mad at you -- you make me smile too much with all your funny-isms. smile

Pique said movies are real to her sometimes -- well, sometimes I read stuff into music that probably isn't there at all. I have the impression that Brahms' beautiful Intermezzo Op. 118 no. 2 is a dialogue between passion and reason, related to that unrequited love he had for Clara Schumann. Poor man.

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Beverly Sills
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
When PDQ Bach met the young Mozart, he predicted that Mozart would become one of the greatest snooker players of all time. (He was wrong. Mozart became famous for playing skittles.)

Semipro Tech
SR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by sandman:

Mozart heard a very yonge beethoven play and remarked something along the lines of "one day he will make a great sound in the world"
That ones a myth There is not a shred of evidence that Mozart ever met or heard Beethoven play. Beethoven was in Vienna two weeks before having to return home to a sick mother, When Beethoven returned to Vienna Mozart was dead.

Haydn felt Mozart was the greatest composer known to him "in person or by reputation"
Beethoven adored Mozart. Beethoven carried a score of the cminor Piano Concerto to study. It is claimed he remarked to Schidlrt that "We will never be able to write music like this"

Mozart adored Handel, CPE Bach and of course Haydn Mozart wrote a set of six string quartets dedicated to Haydn. Mozart once said to a rival composer Kozeluch whom he disliked that he (Mozart) and Kozeluch did not add up to half a Haydn.

Steve

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Rachmaninoff told Rubinstein how much he liked the composer Szymanowski. Rubinstein started talking about Szymanowski's music, and Rachmaninoff explained that it was the MAN he liked. He said, "His music is ****."

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm currently reading "Sergey Prokofiev" by Daniel Jaffé, and there's plenty of wonderful stuff about Prokofiev's opinions regarding other composers. He and Stravinsky had a decently tumultuous relationship, as Stravinsky initially saw Prokofiev as a threat to his prestigious position in the Russian Music scene. Prokofiev admired Haydn very much (I believe his "Classical" Symphony was inspired by a Haydn symphony).

He and Dmitri Shostakovich also were quite bitter at times with each other, although Prokofiev had heard Shostakovich's first sonata when he (Sh.) was still quite young, and praised it. However, when Prokofiev moved back to the Soviet Union after the long chunk of his life spent in France, he and Shostakovich found each other at odds frequently. Actually, Prokofiev was more of the one to do the shoving, although they both reviewed some of each other's works quite harshly (although they did praise a decent bit of each other's works, also).

There are tons more of these little tense relations in the book (as there probably are for a lot of composers' biographies...). These are just what I can think of at the moment.

Musically,
Benjamin Francis
http://www.myspace.com/benjaminfrancis
(I just changed my sig., so no grief, yeah?)
----------
Sofia Gilmson regarding Bach:
"Bach didn't write the subject; he wrote the fugue."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Apparently Tchaikovsky revered Mozart but intensely disliked Brahm's music. He was, of course, not alone in that opinion in his era -- many people in the late 19th century denigrated Brahm's music as reactionary, especially in comparison with that of Wagner. Fortunately, listening more than a century later, we can appreciate both.

I don't know when Brahm's Third Symphony was written vis a vis his relationship with Clara after Robert's death. But about 6 minutes into the second movement, there is a nominally 20 second burst of arguably the most gloriously passionate music Brahm's ever wrote. Given his allegedly repressed sex life, apparently contributed to by his early negative exposure playing piano in a brothel, as well as the autumnal tone of the overall Symphony itself, I find this brief passage especially poignant.

(watch this space)
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Tchaikovsky done said:

-'Mozart is a musical Christ'
-liked Bach but did 'not see him as the great genius that other do.'
-'Handel for me is entirely fourth-rate'

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Verdi said:

"Wagner has moments of bliss.... and hours of boredom."

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission