Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#445488 - 01/05/08 05:25 PM Famous performers with stage fright
Liscio Offline

Do any of you know of any famous pianists/composers who suffered from performance anxiety? - (besides Horowitz)

Thanks ~

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#445489 - 01/05/08 05:34 PM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
Backle Offline

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
According to Stephen Hough, Rachmaninoff was quite nervous when it came to performing.

#445490 - 01/05/08 05:53 PM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Keith Jarrett's complaints about the piano are undoubted more to do with his stage fright than the piano. After all, who else cares that much. I suppose the same is true of Michaelangeli.

Henselt's stage fright was legendary.

A number of performers will take something before performing. I suspect that is why so many end up alcoholics or drug users. My favorite was Bobby Short, who stood at the stage doors, and announced "I think I need some more perfume!" and went back to his dressing room. He smelled very nice when he went out on the stage.

#445491 - 01/05/08 06:14 PM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Backle:
According to Stephen Hough, Rachmaninoff was quite nervous when it came to performing. [/b]
Yep, he had to be pushed on stage at times.

#445492 - 01/05/08 06:26 PM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Chopin - he was notorious. He loved playing for small intimate groups where those who were really interested would draw near the piano and those who were not simply carried on - the family and social atmosphere in which he'd played from childhood, but get him in front of a paying audience and it was a totally different story. He felt suffocated by their eyes and their breath. He couldn't breathe. He agonized for weeks before a concert. After a public performance he was so emotionally and physically drained that he retreated for weeks afterwards. George Sand once said in exasperation that he'd only be happy playing in a totally dark hall on a totally muted piano.

#445493 - 01/05/08 06:50 PM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
Well, there's always Glenn Gould -- though one can argue whether it was stage fright or audience hate.
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

#445494 - 01/05/08 07:48 PM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
V. Horowitz often experienced exceedingly bad bouts of nerves before stepping out on the stage.

#445495 - 01/05/08 09:31 PM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
Backle Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Janus Sachs:
Well, there's always Glenn Gould -- though one can argue whether it was stage fright or audience hate. [/b]
In a 1958 interview with Hugh Thomson, Glenn Gould himself said that he was fortunate that he did not succumb to nervous tensions.

Straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak, that seems to imply quite strongly that it was indeed the latter.

#445496 - 01/06/08 02:48 PM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
GlennGouldGirl Offline

Loc: Granby,MA
 Quote:
Well, there's always Glenn Gould -- though one can argue whether it was stage fright or audience hate. [/b]
No, Glenn was legimately anxious. He took medication for it. I experience the same shock when I get on stage. It is due to a solitary lifestyle, as was his.

#445497 - 01/06/08 02:55 PM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennGouldGirl:
 Quote:
No, Glenn was legimately anxious. He took medication for it. I experience the same shock when I get on stage. It is due to a solitary lifestyle, as was his. [/b]
I'll defer to your judgment, since I am not a Gould scholar by any means. But I do want to say that that, in my book, the two reasons I gave are equally "legitimate," and may be even related in certain individuals (though I am not saying that Gould was one of these).
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.

#445498 - 01/06/08 03:21 PM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
yok Offline

Loc: New Zealand
 Quote:
Henselt's stage fright was legendary.
A possibly apocryphal story has it that Henselt, when playing concertos with a long orchestral introduction, would rush on stage just before the first piano entry, such was his discomfort on stage.

Among contemporary pianists, Stephen Kovacevich is well known as a nervous performer. I have only heard him in concert once, in the Beethoven C major concerto and he was certainly quite fidgety to begin with. He fiddled a lot with the cushion on top of his very low stool before finally removing it somewhere in the middle of the first movement. He really only seemed to get fully focused by the cadenza (he played the very weird Beethoven one.)

#445499 - 01/06/08 03:39 PM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Originally posted by yok:
A possibly apocryphal story has it that Henselt, when playing concertos with a long orchestral introduction, would rush on stage just before the first piano entry, such was his discomfort on stage.
And reportedly, he once forgot to remove his cigar before rushing out! (Isn't Schonberg's "The Great Pianists" a treasure trove of cool stuff?)
 Quote:
Among contemporary pianists, Stephen Kovacevich is well known as a nervous performer.
Martha Argerich, when turning pages for him in a chamber recital said: "I can hear the beatings of your heart!"

#445500 - 01/06/08 03:57 PM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
 Quote:
According to Stephen Hough, Rachmaninoff was quite nervous when it came to performing. [/b]
On the contrary Backle.

Although he had a rather introvert and shy personality, (from the anecdotes I read about him) he was very confident on stage.

Do you remember the anecdote when he played with Kreisler .. the "Where are we?" thing.

I also read of an anecdote in which he comforted a very nervous vocalist during a performance together.

But of course, nothing is guaranteed.
Anyone here saw Rachmaninoff in concert?

#445501 - 01/06/08 05:05 PM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
Backle Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bassio:
 Quote:
On the contrary Backle.

Although he had a rather introvert and shy personality, (from the anecdotes I read about him) he was very confident on stage.

Do you remember the anecdote when he played with Kreisler .. the "Where are we?" thing.

I also read of an anecdote in which he comforted a very nervous vocalist during a performance together.

But of course, nothing is guaranteed.
Anyone here saw Rachmaninoff in concert? [/b]
I do indeed understand the logic behind that and I don't even necessarily disagree. I'd imagine it would be incredibly difficult to disagree when I have no real sources to substantiate my argument, after all. Apparently Stephen Hough does, though. I would recommend you talk to him, rather than kill the poor messenger that brought the unfavorable news, so to speak. :p

#445502 - 01/07/08 05:41 AM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
Robert Kenessy Offline

Loc: Enebyberg Sweden
Does Helene Grimaud[/b] have stage fright or is there another reason she canceled concerts so often (in the mid '90 at least), preferably at the last minute?

.. it seems to me that the inherent nature [of the piano tone] becomes really expressive only by means of the present tendency to use the piano as a percussion instrument - Béla Bartók, early 1927.

#445503 - 01/07/08 07:12 AM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Argerich cancelled more concerts than she performed due to her health problems then. I have not heard anything regarding the nerve issue.

#445504 - 01/07/08 01:33 PM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by argerichfan:
Martha Argerich, when turning pages for him [i.e. Kovacevich] in a chamber recital said: "I can hear the beatings of your heart!" [/b]
Given their history, isn't that just flirting? \:D
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.

#445505 - 01/07/08 02:12 PM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bassio:
Anyone here saw Rachmaninoff in concert? [/b]
Although I never saw Rachmaninoff in concert, my father did and loved to tell two stories about it. First, he apparently strolled onto the stage, sat down and immediately started playing -- no pause, no setting up, he just played, and played, and played. At the end the people were applauding and calling for an encore. He finally agreed and played a piece that, by that time in his life, he hated: his own Prelude in C-sharp minor.

Ed

YouTube Channel

#445506 - 01/07/08 02:21 PM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
C H O P I N Offline

Loc: England
Just wondering, how can all of these pianists perform so well, if under such nervous conditions? - I know when i'm nervous, my hands tend to shake.... How do they manage the accuracy they still acheive?

C H O P I N

#445507 - 01/07/08 06:41 PM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
Lento Offline

Loc: Canada
 Quote:
Originally posted by C H O P I N:
Just wondering, how can all of these pianists perform so well, if under such nervous conditions? - I know when i'm nervous, my hands tend to shake.... How do they manage the accuracy they still acheive?
[/b]
I'd say it's pretty subjective. Nervous for one person might mean their heart beating a little faster, and another might be trembling all over their body :p

#445508 - 01/07/08 09:09 PM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by C H O P I N:

C H O P I N [/b]
They know what they are playing so well and have it so totally in their muscle memory that they could (as I once heard Artur Pizarro put it) play the music while in a coma. I remember the first experience I had in which I was so nervous I was shaking; I really wasn't sure I could run that stupid black machine, but you know, it's surprising what you can do when you REALLY know the music. Oddly, the worst part of it wasn't my shaking hands, but that my knees went weak, which made pedalling sort of iffy. But, you just keep going, and it wears off. Then the next thing that happens is that you have to fight having your mind wander. Come to think of it, since it's such a horrifying and unpleasant experience, why anyone actually gets in front of an audience and plays is a mystery. :-)

#445509 - 01/08/08 12:14 AM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
timbo77 Offline

Loc: Singapore
Rachmaninoff was often nervous before performance -- his cousin, Sofia Satina, confirmed this. Once he was on stage, that was another matter. Shura Cherkassky described his appearance on stage and performance as almost Mephistophelean, made all the more so by his imposing height and a slight limp.

(The oft-cited anecdote about Rachmaninoff and Kreisler on stage is fictitious: they never played together in public.)

#445510 - 01/08/08 12:15 AM Re: Famous performers with stage fright
1RC Offline

Loc: Alberta
 Quote:
Originally posted by wr:
Come to think of it, since it's such a horrifying and unpleasant experience, why anyone actually gets in front of an audience and plays is a mystery. :-) [/b]
Somehow, I never feel so alive as when I feel like I'm going to die \:D I'll never forget that time I (stupidly) climbed a cliff without any kind of safety gear, it wouldn't have been too hard to fall to my death... What a rush!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (anotherscott, Alux, albumblatter, AndrewJCW, 42 invisible), 1520 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75843 Members
42 Forums
156798 Topics
2303970 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 02:00 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 01:33 AM
My Steinway M birth information.
by ciftwood
08/19/14 08:30 PM
Breathy tone
by JoelW
08/19/14 07:59 PM
HELLO!!
by Synner
08/19/14 07:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission