Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#445810 - 01/30/08 04:29 AM Are US composers overrated or underrated?
Robert Kenessy Offline

Loc: Enebyberg Sweden
I have been noticing in Pianist corner that US composers are more played and higher rated than over here in ((good) old) Europe. Over Christmas I was in Minnesota. I browsed through a book in Barnes&Noble on 50 classical music composers, arranged according to the top 50 ranking of the US author. I was surprised that many US composers like Crumb, Barber and Adams ended up close to the top.

Reception and “ranking” of a composer depends not on his/her musical merit only, but on other factors as well. For instance, I think the neglect Alkan has suffered is largely due to him being a secluded, eccentric and unsocial jew.

So my questions are:
are US composers underrated in Europe or overrated in the US?

Will the strong imprint the US has on world wide culture give US composers a stature they would not have had, had they not been Americans?

.. it seems to me that the inherent nature [of the piano tone] becomes really expressive only by means of the present tendency to use the piano as a percussion instrument - Béla Bartók, early 1927.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#445811 - 01/30/08 03:06 PM Re: Are US composers overrated or underrated?
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
If it is like anything else, its a little bit of both. I find barber to be amazing, but definitely not more then I find beethoven or mozart. It is very hard to have a top 50 for music because it is based on personal biases. How did gerswhin fair?

#445812 - 01/30/08 05:42 PM Re: Are US composers overrated or underrated?
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
How would I know, being that I'm isolated here in Minnesota. I seldom get outside in the winter, so it's hard to imagine getting to Europe to experience the culture and make a comparison. Today, it's 5 degrees below zero F. I'm not even gonna touch the doorknob to experience the rest of the world.

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#445813 - 01/30/08 06:29 PM Re: Are US composers overrated or underrated?
mickmontreal Offline

Loc: Montreal
I completely agree with jdhampton924. Some may ask themselfves the same question about europeen, african and asian composers.

#445814 - 01/30/08 07:20 PM Re: Are US composers overrated or underrated?
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I think they're underrated in Europe, but I also think Americans unfairly neglect good composers from other countries as well.

(Rautavaara, Schnittke, Henze, etc...)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#445815 - 01/30/08 08:17 PM Re: Are US composers overrated or underrated?
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Every country's got it's favourite composers, etc... The same with everything really. Politics, sports, celebrities, you name it.

I don't think that anyone thinks lower of US composers here in the UK or europe in general, but I, for example, do tend to forget the US composers, when I'm making a list. It's what I listen to all the time and see all the time (only the Internet is different).

In another thread down in the composers forum, I was speaking about composers and totally forgot ALL American composers (not on purpose of course). Adams, Glass, Persicetti, Crumb, etc. I'm still having trouble thinking about other names, although I know many more in reality. I'm ashamed of that really.

Plus training, education and culture is totally different between countries, imagine continents. One of the reasons I didn't go to study in the US, was exactly that I thought (and still think) that I would have much more difficult time coming back to Europe, than staying inside for the whole time.

I only imagine it's the same for Americans as well...

(I can name quite a few Brittish composers, who are considered top names over here, but somehow I doubt if other people will know them: Phil Cashian, Tansy Davies, Thomas Ades, Anna Meredith, etc...)

#445816 - 01/30/08 09:23 PM Re: Are US composers overrated or underrated?
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Likewise, I can bring up a couple of Canadian names and I'm sure only a few would recognize them...Alexina Louie, Robert Aitken, Oscar Peterson, Louis Applebaum....

As for American, I'm familiar with Copland...and I saw a performance by Julius Williams once (not a composer). And of course I'm a big fan of Gershwin....Anyways, yeah, people are always inclined to be nationalistic about these sort of things, so there's no surprise...

#445817 - 01/31/08 02:15 AM Re: Are US composers overrated or underrated?
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolas:

I can name quite a few Brittish composers, who are considered top names over here, but somehow I doubt if other people will know them: Phil Cashian, Tansy Davies, Thomas Ades, Anna Meredith, etc...

[/b]
I'm in the USA, and thought you might find it interesting that your list has one name that's fairly well known here (at least among those people who tend to know about living people who write music) and that is Thomas Ades. I think I may have heard pieces by the other three on BBC Radio 3, but don't remember them particularly.

Some other composers still living and from approximately your part of the world that I have heard some music from are Turnage, Finnissy, Holloway, Max Davies, Barry, Weir, Bryars, Harvey, Ferneyhough, Matthews, Birtwistle, Skempton, Knussen, and Benjamin. There are others, I'm sure (and I didn't include a couple whom I dislike too much to mention). Some of that is simply because I listen to a lot of BBC Radio 3 webcasting, but I've actually heard live local performances of music of some of those names.

And then there are all the dead ones...

#445818 - 01/31/08 02:40 AM Re: Are US composers overrated or underrated?
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolas:
I can name quite a few Brittish composers, who are considered top names over here, but somehow I doubt if other people will know them: Phil Cashian, Tansy Davies, Thomas Ades, Anna Meredith, etc...)
And don't forget James MacMillan, Philip Moore, Bryan Kelly, Francis Jackson, Grayston Ives, William Mathias, Mark Blatchly, Robin Orr, Stanley Vann, Giles Swayne, Robin Holloway, Patrick Gowers... all UK composers who have written magnificently for the Church.

The list is really endless, isn't it? With the exception of Mathias, these composers are all still living to the best of my knowledge, though I should be surprised if Stanley Vann (Peterborough Cathedral's greatest DoM) is still composing- he must be well into his 90's. I've met his son.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
recording digital piano
by johan d
20 minutes 36 seconds ago
Ambitious Jazz beginner
by Ruan
Today at 01:10 AM
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:28 PM
Who's Online
65 registered (AZNpiano, Andrs Lieber, andwi, Banshee, angga888, 16 invisible), 1152 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158407 Topics
2326259 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission