2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Colin - I understand where you are coming from with this.

Let me tell you a little about myself...

I go to a school full of people that listen to rap, have no idea who Liszt was, or what the treble cleff is.

When there is a fight or something that I somehow get involved with (I have no idea how I get mixed up in that) , I never fight. I don't care if I got punched in the face, or something, I chose not to fight at all. There is enough violence in the world already.

I've been in a Starbucks twice. I've never ordered anything from there either. It seems like a giant waste of money to me, and I also refuse to drink anything with caffine (I believe it's bad for you.)

I also do not eat meat. I was made fun of alot for this. I consider myself pretty different from "mainstream" kids but it doesn't matter to me.

Here's an example. When I encouraged kids in my grade to recycle their bottles at lunch, people said "The environment is gay". Others threw the bottles in the trash on purpose. I walked away without saying a word.

Lately I've been reading alot of Plato. Read "The Allegory of the Cave" from his "Republic".

Although I consider myself different from the other people around me, I still accept them and they accept me. We're all different in some way or another.

"It is better to be hated for something you truely are, than to be liked for something you're not."

I'm not trying to preach to you. And yes, I have lots of studies to do also laugh

Smile more,
Matt

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
REAPER:

Here's a video I did where I put the solfege assignment to music. It's on a "home organ" (hopefully bourgeois I know) but it worked and made the learning more fun. I am now a solfege junkie and have an A-plus average in the class.

USAPIANOTRUCKER PLAYS SOLFEGE ACCOMPANIMENT

Even has an "AMEN" at the end.

(The third song is registered in tribute to Enya. She ain't Chopin I know but I like her anyway.)

Life is what you make it. I choose to make it fun.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
edit

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I despise reality and everything it stands for.
Your reality is determined by your thoughts. Let go of your anger and critical judgments toward others and your perception of reality will improve, I promise.

I'm getting ready for your 'don't preach to me response', but encourage you to at least think about it (hey, what do you have to lose?)

I think you believe nobody cares about you. If that were true, you wouldn't have received a single response on this thread or all of these words of encouragement from members.

Live and let live.

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by Reaper978:
I just attended my music theory class a bit ago. My teacher is good, but I really don't like the students I'm with.

I consider myself a unique, passionate individual, and I consider music to be the finest outlet for the types of profound emotions and thoughts that I encounter every day. I tend to think of myself as operating on a different wavelength than most others. But even in a classroom full of "musical" individuals, I feel terribly alone.

I spoke with one of the students awhile ago and she has been "playing piano for years." It seems she has no real passion for it, however, as she listens mostly to country and folk. I named even the most basic of piano composers as Debussy and Ravel, I sung Chopin's famous Nocturne op. 9 no. 2, and she hadn't a clue what I was talking about. I honestly can't believe what I'm encountering.

Granted, it's a junior college, I shouldn't expect very much from the student body.

There was a test today which I thought I'd do well on. I didn't. It was chord identification. I missed a sharp there, a natural there, and I end up screwing up the entire damn test. I was tired, I got up early to, get this, work on a Bach prelude and fugue. But the teacher doesn't care. I'm just another student to him.

After this, we're practicing sight-singing with solfege, which I'm not opposed to. What I absolutely HATE, however, is doing everything as a "group." We need to be "friendly" and sing these overly simplistic sight-singing exercises as a group as if we are a bunch of lemmings. It just reminds me of how much I hate the classroom.

Class ends and I walk to my car. I put in a cd of the Chopin Scherzi and turn the Scherzo no. 1 in Bb minor on.

This is music. Passion. Individuality. Genius. Obsession. Thinking outside the box.

I guarantee you that I listen to more classical music in an hour than virtually everyone else in this world does in a month. But in that classroom, I'm just another faceless entity working on getting credits and transferring to a big, expensive school to study something I really don't care about because "I need to pay the bills."

And now I'm listening to some woman with a child ordering her damn Chai latte, SKIM, and with just a bit of whipped cream. Maybe you want to put some Splenda in there, hm? Maybe some sweet and low? Perhaps you want half decaf, half caffeinated, or maybe half-skim, half 2 percent? What kind of lid would you want with that? Pick your color straw. Yeah, that's right, bring your little Jimmy off to public school where he can be converted into another annoying, obnoxious, football watching consumer.

I came into this coffee shop, and on one side of me there were these two pathetic sods preaching to themselves about the grace and glory of god and how terrible all the wickedness is. I listen to more religious music than they do, and I'm a fricken atheist. On the other side of the shop are a gaggle of women squaking obnoxiously about the day's gossip.

Kill me now.

-Colin
Three things:

1. You're not better than any of the rest of us, so get off your high horse.

2. No one is making you attend your theory class, so if you hate it, the environment, the teacher, or the other students, don't go.

3. This is a horrible thread and I was planning on closing it, but I'm going to leave it open instead so people can troll you and your emo attitude.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Brendan - you are a true Mr. Utterson of pianoworld. That's a compliment. laugh

Matt

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Don't preach to me.
I don't understand why you would post it if you dislike the idea of people responding it.

I think the main problem is that you think you are better than everyone else - I think if you're going to like classical music, it should be because you like the music and not because you want to think you are cultured and intelligent.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
V
V
theory is different from enjoying music. It is more about breaking down the music you enjoy to understand what makes it so enjoyable in the first place.

And the reason you music teacher acts as if your just another student when you got up early to study a bach prelude and fugue. It's because your most likely not the first person he's known thats done that. He most likely went to Music school somewhere where he was surrounded by talented musicians, he's gotten used to it.

I go to a junior college and the music teacher we have, got his Master's degree in Music from Wake Forest University, and he also studied music in Vienna for a year, and went to the Cleveland conservatory of Music. And he's teaching at a junior college, so I think that says something there that a junior college doesn't mean that people are any less educated there

well I'm 20 years old, and I'm teaching myself piano.
Originally posted by Brendan:
you and your emo attitude
This snippet is QFE.

Clearly the drama llama is loose. :rolleyes:

Stop worrying about what you can't control (other people), and focus on what you can (yourself).

Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius

Music is moonlight in the gloomy night of life. ~Jean Paul Richter
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
When you develop empathy and understanding for yourself you will eventually demonstrate empathy towards others.

Are you familiar with The Golden Rule?

You must live by it. It will set you free.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I despise reality and everything it stands for. Reality and myself are my biggest enemies. I don't know how else to say it.
As Akira says - reality comes from within. Shame about the fruit and vegetables.

Matt - great with the Plato! Try and get Jowett's edition. What do you think of his ideas on music?

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Tenuto:
Are you familiar with The Golden Rule?
Yes, he who has the Gold thus maketh the rules?

Sorry.

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Reaper978:
I want life to be beautiful. I want to love. I want passion. I'm tired of hearing about suffering. I'm tired of relationships that fizzle out in the blink of an eye (many times my own fault).
Well, welcome to "reality", mate. If I had a pence for every relationship that went south- takes two to tango, you know- thus I always had a 50% guilty rating.

All by way of saying that I sent you a PM. Cheers, buddy. Hang in there!

Jason
Originally posted by Brendan:

1. You're not better than any of the rest of us, so get off your high horse.

2. No one is making you attend your theory class, so if you hate it, the environment, the teacher, or the other students, don't go.

3. This is a horrible thread and I was planning on closing it, but I'm going to leave it open instead so people can troll you and your emo attitude. [/qb]
I am of the same opinion.

Sorry, but I'm shutting the door on this one.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission