2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, 8 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#448391 05/15/03 06:56 PM
Frank58 Offline OP
OP Offline
I started piano lessons 5 ½ years ago with a well qualified teacher. She has two or three degrees in music and teaching, and in my opinion is an excellent teacher. She certainly knows her work. She recognizes my weak areas and seems to know how to deal with them and assigns about the right amount of work to keep me challenged. We have a good teacher/student relationship and have worked together well.

I feel I have progressed at an average rate since I started and am quite contented with that. However in the last year, I find my progression has slowed a bit. I attribute this to being in a higher grade (more difficult pieces). I am presently at the grade 6 level following the Royal Conservatory of Music program, and hope to finish grade 8 eventually

. Since this has been the only teacher I have used, I really have no way of comparing her with anyone else. My question is simply this. Is it possible for a teacher/student relationship to become so comfortable and familiar that progress is actually hampered. In other words, is there anything to be gained by switching teachers for the sake of switching. (Assuming that other teachers of comparable qualifications are available)

Has anyone else found themselves in this situation?

#448392 05/15/03 10:42 PM
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
The fact that you are asking the question at all suggests that something isn't developing in quite the way you would prefer. I certainly wouldn't change just for the sake of change; it needs a definite reason. If you are tired of doing examinations, tired of the sort of music you are playing or feel you are simply not enjoying your music, then discuss it with your teacher. If you haven't said anything she probably assumes you are quite happy.

I don't think personal comfort and familiarity matter that much one way or the other as long as confidence in her musicianship and respect for her teaching ability are present.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
#448393 05/15/03 11:04 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Frank58....I'm Katie (40+)....also retired. I returned to lessons (with a teacher similar to yours) after a 26 year absence (give or take). I was demoted from RCM grade ?7 to grade 4 (rightly so), and have worked my way up from there. I'm now doing grade 7. I have to say I became fairly bored with the current grade 6 repertoire/studies, and felt a little stifled in my progress (I actually thought the grade 5 music was a little more exciting). I didn't voice my concerns to my teacher (I should have); but, what I did was attempt to spice up my repertoire (& thus my enthusiasm). I sought out a RCM Syllabus and looked up what other pieces were at a grade 6 level (some grade 7 pieces too), and ended up purchasing Schumann's Album for the Young, and Bach's Eighteen Little Preludes. I suggested to my teacher "I'm not getting any younger.... and....because I enjoy playing my pieces over and over again after I learn them, it's important that we select music that I can play for years to come". Well, I'm having a great time now because I don't feel I'm limited to those 2 books. Of course, if you're taking exams (I'm not), you need to follow the requirements, etc., but you can make a few substitutions. And you are playing for enjoyment, right? Perhaps you should speak to your teacher about this before making a change. There will also be another period getting to know a new teacher, and at 58 (Am I assuming this is your age?), do you really want to do that, again?

#448394 05/16/03 09:45 AM
K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
Since you are considering leaving this teacher, why not give her one more chance to meet you needs?

Tell her what you have told us.
If you can't find the words, print out your post here and show it to her.
Maybe even mail it to her and tell her you would like to discuss it in the next lesson.
Then she gets some time alone to digest the idea and fomulate some ideas.

Maybe she has been thinking similar thoughts but has also gotten used to the relationship.

This can work wonders in other personal relationships too.

#448395 05/16/03 09:55 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Has anyone else found themselves in this situation?
You seem to be experiencing the first symptoms of the 7 years itch.

laugh

Benedict
#448396 05/16/03 08:51 PM
Frank58 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all for your responses.

My situation is I am not in contact with people who are into the piano/music thing (with the exception of my piano teacher). Therefore I have no way of getting independent feed back from other students at my general level on these issues. It was in the back of my mind that perhaps it is advisable to change teachers after every 3 or 4 years or so.
Actually I am glad to hear this is not the case. All of you have have pretty much responded with the same theme.

“Ted” has pretty well summed up the way I was thinking . (not to change for the sake of change) In other words “if it is not broke, don’t fix it”.

I will probably take “kennys” advice and discuss the matter with my teacher. She has always been receptive to any suggestions I have made along the way.

I certainly appreciate “katie’s” input. I too, am not taking the RCM exams. When the teacher feels I am ready, she suggests I advance to the next level. Like you, I have an interest in jazz and blues music which I wish to persue after I finish the classical route. I will take a look at the two books to which you referred. Thanks again.

#448397 05/18/03 12:10 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
i'd just like to put in that good teachers are exceedingly hard to find. i agree you should tell your teacher you are feeling stalled out in your progress. who knows what she may come up with to address your issues? could be very productive.

also, you might consider going to another teacher just once or twice to get another perspective on your playing, sort of as a consultation, and see what they think you need.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
#448398 05/18/03 08:22 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I agree 100% with what pique said, and would add that you should definately discuss this with your teacher. There is prbably some sort of disconnect in your piano if you are sensing a lack of progress, but it may be something besides your teacher. It could be, as you said, your music is harder, and you do not see your progress in leaps and bounds anymore for that reason.
I have had numerous teachers over the years, and can speak from experience. I was fortunate enough to have never had a bad teacher, but there are plenty of bad teachers out there - even ones with diplomas from heavy-weight conservatories on their walls - so changing teachers is a pretty important decision to make.

#448399 05/18/03 08:53 AM
Recently I had to change my piano teacher due to a move. Although I was very happy with my previous teacher, I think it was nevertheless good that I had to change after a few years because every teacher has a different understanding of music and teaching. I think it can be very valuable to be exposed to these different views. It is like reading newspapers - there are good ones and bad ones but if you want to have a neutral view you need to read news from different sources.

Klaus

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission