2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 8 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A sporting a forum I was on before, resulted in a player reading criticism, was then determined to prove himself, and ended up having great success that year!

Oh no of course they don't give a damn, but I don't think we expect them to anyway, it's just a discussion amongst us isn't it?

Patience's the best teacher, and time the best critic. - F.F.Chopin
Originally posted by argerichfan:
And what about this sizzling performance of the Rachmaninov A minor Etude-tableau?

She's good.
I agree with argerichfan about how good she is - this performance of the Rachmaninoff A minor Etude-tableau is astonishing and mesmerizing.

In my humble opinion, I think she is one of the great pianists of our time.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by hopinmad:
Oh no of course they don't give a damn, but I don't think we expect them to anyway, it's just a discussion amongst us isn't it?
Of course, hopinmad, you're quite correct. But tell that to the choirs within the Anglican rite who have been trashed on the BBC boards. It's usually about the psalm singing, and proves once more that opinions are like (fill in the blank), and everybody has one.

Jason
For some reason she reminds me of Jacqueline Du Pre.

T
T
The A minor Etude-tableaux is excellent: thanks for the link, Argerichfan. Rachmaninoff said that his inspiration for this piece was the story of Little Red Riding Hood and I think the pianist captures this brilliantly. And you can't fault her technique here.

mr_kitty: what's wrong with breaking the opening chords of Rach 2? There's a lot more to playing the piano and interpreting a piece than have hands big enough to play a tenth. It's hardly a reason to dismiss a performance. Ashkenazy breaks the chords and no-one has told him not to play Rachmaninoff!

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by timbo77:
mr_kitty: what's wrong with breaking the opening chords of Rach 2? There's a lot more to playing the piano and interpreting a piece than have hands big enough to play a tenth.
My hands are just big enough to take the opening of Rachmaninov 2 without breaking, but I would not do that in performance. Rachmaninov did not do so in his recording. He felt for musical reasons that they sounded better broken. And I tend to agree. Take the first chord without breaking, but break the subsequent chords with an increasing intensity. IMHO, ofcourse.

Jason
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by argerichfan:
mr_kitty: what's wrong with breaking the opening chords of Rach 2? There's a lot more to playing the piano and interpreting a piece than have hands big enough to play a tenth.
My hands are just big enough to take the opening of Rachmaninov 2 without breaking, but I would not do that in performance. Rachmaninov did not do so in his recording. He felt for musical reasons that they sounded better broken. And I tend to agree. Take the first chord without breaking, but break the subsequent chords with an increasing intensity. IMHO, ofcourse.
As long as they are not rolled imo

T
T
Again, I see no problem with rolling the chords: I'm really not sure it matters that much so long as the interpretation as a whole is effective. So there is no problem at all with Argerichfan's approach of breaking the chords with successive intensity, even though it's not in the score and I wouldn't perform it like that myself.

There are many points in the second concerto that require a 10th span but I'm quite confident that unless you knew the score, you wouldn't even notice if someone rolled or broke the chord (two instances in the second movement immediately spring to mind, one in each hand).

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
even though it's not in the score and I wouldn't perform it like that myself.
But you see, the score is so over-rated -- we have recordings of Rachmaninov himself playing this concerto, and he breaks some of the chords.

It's not a question of ability -- some of the chords he plays solid, and others he plays broken. He had huge hands.

So *what* is the composer's intentions? And what is the validity of resting on the score as an excuse for not liking a particular way of playing, when [1] the composer himself did not play the way it is written in the score, and [2] the composer himself played it the way you don't like?

By all means, play how you'd like -- there are so many wonderful ways to play music. I don't advocate standing rigidly by the composer's recording, nor do I advocate standing rigidly by the composer's score.

But your evidence of the score, in this example, doesn't quite work.

(IMO -- the required signature, right? Of course it's my opinion... if it wasn't, I wouldn't write it! )

Sam
E
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
We all know how good Valentina is.
She never stops to amaze me technically, but just take a listen at her tone, she has no knowledge at all of different colors the piano can produce.
Musically? I can't think of worse playing.
Even Lang Lang sounds better, and believe me I do NOT like him.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think Lang Lang, and Valentina Lisitsa, are amazing pianists!!!

Patience's the best teacher, and time the best critic. - F.F.Chopin
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
.....you probably like Liberace too
Rachmaninoff broke the opening chords in op 18 once. Once. He wanted to see how it would sound. It didn't sound good. If he wanted them broken, he would have indicated that in the score. He didn't.
I'm not saying if you break those chords you go to heck... all I'm saying is your opening of op 18 will be lame sauce.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Mr_Kitty:
Rachmaninoff broke the opening chords in op 18 once. Once.
How many recordings have you heard of Rachmaninov playing this concerto?

Sam
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
He wanted to see how it would sound. It didn't sound good. If he wanted them broken, he would have indicated that in the score. He didn't.
If he tried it -- just to see how it would sound -- and he didn't like it, then why would he release it on a commercial recording?

Sam
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
If he wanted them broken, he would have indicated that in the score. He didn't.
Maybe he didn't have a preference -- so he just wrote the chords, with the understanding that there are multiple ways of playing them (such as the way he played in his recording).

Sam
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I'm not saying if you break those chords you go to heck...
You will if you can't fix them. Duct tape should do the trick.

What's generations of later pianists going to do with broken chords?

Sam
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
all I'm saying is your opening of op 18 will be lame sauce.
I much prefer barbecue sauce. We should throw in some vodka, too, for Sergei.

Sam
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
sam you post-hog.

Houston, Texas
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
.....you probably like Liberace too
Careful Kittyboy, Liberace has his fans on this board, although I do not count myself amongst them, nor -now that I think of it- have I ever knowingly met one. eek

Jason
I love her playing style. People like to trash-talk a lot about new pianists. I think the general trend is "I envy her technique".

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission