2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
N
Originally posted by waldstein11448998:
Did the Waldstein really work? Because that's the piece that I would really love to play someday. It's technically impressive and beautiful at the same time.
Without any intention of sounding smug, I daresay it did work! wink

If it's the Waldstein you want to play, then all I can say is don't stop until you get there!! It is my absolute favorite work of music, bar none. It had a profound effect on me when I was young, and I performed it in my mid-teens. I have since discovered and played countless other works, but none has ever taken the Waldstein's place in my heart.

Best of luck!! laugh

Nicholas B.

Steinway B (1912 rebuilt)
Kawai RX-2 (2008)
X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
One piece that's had a pretty big effect so far is Claire De Lune. I've had one girl who heard me playing it who came INTO the practice room I was in to tell me that I sounded beautiful, another at my church who as soon as I began playing that she ran over the the grand I was playing on [a beautiful Mason & Hamlin, it made Clair De Lune sound incredible] and was very, very happy that I was playing it. laugh .
Another girl told me it's her favorite piano piece, and when I told her I can play it she was quite happy, but she's yet to actually hear me playing it, haha.

Chopin: Nocturne No. 15 in Fm. Op. 55 no.1.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have a friend who says that the way to meet interesting, beautiful woman, is to hang out by the Rachmaninoff CD bin at Cheapo Records in South Minneapolis. He's convinced they'll all stay up there.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

There's a book called Twilight out that is all the rage (...frankly, I hate it, but that's just my humble opinion), and a lot of girls at my middle school think that because Debussy's Clair de Lune is played in it and they obsess over Edward Cullen (the main vampire character), that makes them have an appreciation of classical music. xD. So I suppose Clair de Lune would be popular with that sort of crowd.

From a teenage (13) girl's point of view, and I consider myself at least mildly appreciative of classical music, I would probably die if a guy played me the Fantasie Impromptu in C# Minor (Chopin) for me. It just sounds like love whenever I hear it. xD.

I've never learnt a piano piece to impress a guy -- there aren't any serious male pianists in middle school that I know about. My duetist is a guy, but we don't get along very well. Impressing him means that I've beat him in a competition, which doesn't go over very well... xD...

Anyways, I think some girls might like arrangements of Linkin Park, and I've heard requests for Coldplay's Viva La Vida. Just some random thoughts.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Miss Avarice:
[...]
Anyways, I think some girls might like arrangements of <font color="red">Linkin Park</font>, and I've heard requests for Coldplay's Viva La Vida. Just some random thoughts.
(Emphasis mine)

[Linked Image]

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
why can't this thread die already??

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Andromaque:
why can't this thread die already??
laugh

Kinda funny how these threads seem to take off, while many others hardly make it past one page before they drop into oblivion on Page 2. :rolleyes:

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
R
R
My experience is that girls are mostly impressed by piano music that calls for very tricky fingering. Also, fast (double!) trills, broken (arpeggiated) chords (Un Sospiro!) and glissandos do a lot of good.

Robert Kenessy

.. it seems to me that the inherent nature [of the piano tone] becomes really expressive only by means of the present tendency to use the piano as a percussion instrument - Béla Bartók, early 1927.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Kennessy
Is that avatar a Memling?

W
W
Originally posted by Nicholas B.:
[b] Did the Waldstein really work? Because that's the piece that I would really love to play someday. It's technically impressive and beautiful at the same time.
Without any intention of sounding smug, I daresay it did work! wink

If it's the Waldstein you want to play, then all I can say is don't stop until you get there!! It is my absolute favorite work of music, bar none. It had a profound effect on me when I was young, and I performed it in my mid-teens. I have since discovered and played countless other works, but none has ever taken the Waldstein's place in my heart.

Best of luck!! laugh [/b]
Thanks! Even though I can't play it very well now due to my limited technical ability, every day I should play through some of it so that I don't forget it. I've memorized everything up until the recapitulation. Hopefully as my technique improves over the next couple of years, it will become easier to play.

I wonder how much the ladies like the 3rd movement of the Appassionata? Probably not many. It's a little too dark and scary. laugh

N
N
I've memorized everything up until the recapitulation. Hopefully as my technique improves over the next couple of years, it will become easier to play.
For what it's worth, the recap isn't too bad except for the runs at the end of the first movement - after all that energy used in the first part of the movement, Beethoven won't let you reach the finish line without some extra effort! :rolleyes:

Nicholas B.

Steinway B (1912 rebuilt)
Kawai RX-2 (2008)
W
W
I've looked at the recap of the Waldstein, and for the most part, it's almost exactly the same as the exposition. The main difference is that it's in E instead of B, with a few note changes scattered around. The coda looks like it could be tricky with all of those 16th note runs.

The majority of the 3rd movement looks very difficult. Especially playing the melody while trilling with the same hand.

R
R
Originally posted by currawong:
As a rough definition of the distinctions I've heard the following:

soccer = a gentleman's game played by thugs
rugby union = a thug's game played by gentlemen
rugby league = a thug's game played by thugs

smile
haha

E
E
Originally posted by Nicholas B.:
[b] I've memorized everything up until the recapitulation. Hopefully as my technique improves over the next couple of years, it will become easier to play.
For what it's worth, the recap isn't too bad except for the runs at the end of the first movement - after all that energy used in the first part of the movement, Beethoven won't let you reach the finish line without some extra effort! :rolleyes: [/b]
That's how I feel about it too. The hardest parts of the first movement I think are the coda that you mentioned and the second half of the development. waldstein11448998 is correct in thinking that the third movement contains the most troublesome passages.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Count Ferdinand von Waldstein must have been a heck of a ladies man.

Houston, Texas
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
You need to play well enough to earn a ton of money...then the girls will follow guaranteed... laugh

L
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally posted by Mark...:
You need to play well enough to earn a ton of money...then the girls will follow guaranteed... laugh
Oh, so your suggesting Beethoven Op. 129? laugh laugh laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Debussy20:
[b] You need to play well enough to earn a ton of money...then the girls will follow guaranteed... laugh
Oh, so your suggesting Beethoven Op. 129? laugh laugh laugh [/b]
Rage Over the Lost Penny, or Rage Against the Machine ?

I think the ladies would go crazy either way.

Houston, Texas
L
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally posted by Loki:
Originally posted by Debussy20:
[b]
[b] You need to play well enough to earn a ton of money...then the girls will follow guaranteed... laugh
Oh, so your suggesting Beethoven Op. 129? laugh laugh laugh [/b]
Rage Over the Lost Penny, or Rage Against the Machine ?

I think the ladies would go crazy either way. [/b]
A little too intense...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey, with the piece of the duel you mentioned in another thread you should be able to get some girls saying what the Chinese girls were saying in that clip smile .

Kawai ES-110

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is never enough for music."
-Sergei Rachmaninoff.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission