2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
when playing a chord where one or more notes are part of the melody, what do you concentrate pon doing?? simply thinkinjg, play this one louder doesnt seem to do anything . .. ..

im finding chopins op10 no3 terribly difficult bcause of it.

Patience's the best teacher, and time the best critic. - F.F.Chopin
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Simply listening.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
When playing a chord, while you play all the notes simultaneously, that doesn't mean you play them all exactly the same. It is certainly possible to exert different force on a particular note or notes within a chord so as to emphasize them.

As you've pointed out, the slow sections of Chopin's 10/3 are a great example and study of this technique. If you're having trouble with it, you might try distilling the problem down to its basics and working it that way. Try creating some simple exercises for yourself where you play a chord and try to emphasize each individual note. For instance, play a chord in root position and try to emphasize the root more than the other notes. Then do the same, but emphasize the third, and then the fifth. Do the same with different chords/inversions/hands. When doing this, make sure to listen carefully and try to hear yourself emphasizing the given note. If you can objectively hear that note as standing out, then you've got it.

While it may not seem to do anything, you definitely need to think about playing one note louder than the others, it sounds like its just you need to work on the technique to actually make it happen. It will come.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
Are you sure you wouldn't rather just listen? If you don't hear what you want be a bit more demanding. I've never had to say much more to a student than - can you bring out this, don't cover that, blend this,...

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ive been trying to riase the finger of the note to be brought about but thats terribly difficult

If you mean raising individual fingers above the keys, that type of exercise can be injurious.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
thats what i menat!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
See my PM hopinmad. There is a technique to bring out different tones in a chord but it does take practice, careful concentration and especially careful listening until it becomes somewhat easier to do. The emphasis has to shift and takes great control of the playing mechanism to do so. Hofmann was a wonderful master of this ability as my teacher told me he would bring out different voices each time he played something and cause wonder in the listeners. Wouldn't it have been wonderful to be able to hear him play with this amazing facility?

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
but what exactly happens; the finger comes down faster? meaning it has to start form a higer position or at a different time?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I hesitate to get into these discussions, because I think many PF members are much more technically proficient than I am. Nevertheless, here I go:

Sometimes it is in the fingering. You may have some alternate choices of fingers on the notes you want to bring out. Maybe worth a try.

Also, I've found that if you bring your elbows out, you change the angle position of your hand, emphasizing the outer voices. If you bring your elbows to your side, it tends to emphasize the inner notes. And then there's an elbow position in between which emphasizes the middle fingers. You might want to play around with that idea.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

I don't understand what your trying to do with your fingers. Bude's best advice was: 'If you can objectively hear that note as standing out, then you've got it.' I'd go straight there. Allow your body to do it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You should have my PM by now. The fingers all play at the same time but it's the CONTROL of them that allows one to do what I suggest.

I've just played the first page. I think I know your problem. You can't use arm-weight. The arm plays the tune (and the bass) - the fingers the accompaniment.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
hopinmad,

I'm not sure what you're trying to do by raising the finger

"ive been trying to riase the finger of the note to be brought about but thats terribly difficult"

"but what exactly happens; the finger comes down faster? meaning it has to start form a higer position or at a different time?"

Either what your attempting to do doesn't quite make sense, or your explanation is unclear.

If you're attempting to emphasize the fourth finger in the chord, and you raise it above the others fingers, and then drop onto the keyboard, it seems to me that the fourth finger will play both late and with less velocity. It doesn't benefit from the gravitational force of the drop.

Why not try the opposite. As an excercize, as you drop your hand onto the keyboard, lower the fourth finger, so that it plays just a fraction of a second before the remainder of the chord.

Try that as an excercize for a few days, and then forget the excercize, and see what happens if you just "think" more emphasis on the fourth finger. That seems worth a try too.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

Tomasino, dropping the hand from a height not only loses control but can lead to injury. Make sure your fingers are ON the key, then using weight from the arm (ignoring other fingers, they'll take care of themselves) drop into the 'tune' finger, then instantly allow your hand to flop.

I
I
Generally I use arm or wrist weight for a chord where I want to make all voices equal. For instances where one voice needs to predominate I fnd that a scratching or pulling motion of the finger combined with the arm or wrist motion works pretty well. It should feel like the finger is kindof pulling the rest of the fingers down and forward with it. I'll usually practice just the melody using the pulling motion (w/o the rest of the chord) to build the muscle memory before adding the rest of the chord notes.

Originally posted by iconoclast:
Generally I use arm or wrist weight for a chord where I want to make all voices equal. For instances where one voice needs to predominate I fnd that a scratching or pulling motion of the finger
Interestingly I'm the opposite. I use scratching for the non-tune notes. The point is the hand is still when the fingers scratch. The wrist needs to move (drop) on the tune notes.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I lifted a finger playing a louder note higher so that it would have to travel faster to reach the note the same time as the other notes.
I didn't know what else to do.

What do you know about using arm-weight?

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
For me, it's a question of weight distribution; the note to be brought out gets more "weight". Whether, in the strict physical analysis, that's actually what I do, I can't guarantee it, but that mind-set helps me all the time when voicing something like the right hand of the Chopin Op 10, No 3 Etude.

On the other hand - well, not really because it's the same hand laugh - in the Brahms Intermezzo, Op 117, No 1, where the melody is an internal line between 5/1 octaves the "scratch" method described above combined with "weight" seems to give me the best results.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission