2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I have been playing piano since I was five years old and can honestly say that I never wanted to stop playing. I love practicing, I love teaching, I love performing. The thing is, next year I'm starting a very busy courseload for my first year of University, and I'm not taking Music (yes, people think I'm nuts).

I problem is, I just can't afford to drive an hour to piano lessons, have an 90minute-long lesson, and then drive back. I'll never quit piano because it's a huge part of my life. I've had the same piano teacher for 10+ years and I hate to leave her just because I don't have time to drive there every week. However, I really don't know what to do. I'm so confused, someone please give me some advice!!

Thanks!

Diana

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
You can find another teacher, or tell her to drive to you. These may be the only alternatives until you can lighten your course work and have more time.

OP Offline
what do you think about doubling up the lesson time so I only come every two weeks? Would that work out do you think??

Diana

L
L
From a beginner nearly into intermediate, I don't see why you need a teacher on a regular basis if you've been playing so long. I see my teacher on an as needed basis because I feel I know what to do, I just need to get to the piano every day and do it.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
kawahime, I know a number of people who take a lesson every 2 weeks (that includes me). And if that's still a burden, see if she'll agree to see you once a month. There are ways to make the best of a bad situation! smile

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ask her to double her time with you, and you could maybe go every 2-3 weeks?
Good luck...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you've been with the same teacher for over 10 years you might want to think seriously about trying someone new. Even if just for a semester to see how it works out, you can always go back to your old teacher if you do not like who you end up with . If you find a good teacher you may be amazed at how wonderful it is to get a different perspective on playing the piano. Plus you can do this without hurting your teacher's feelings. I'm sure she would understand the problems with the wasted time traveling. And if you choose to go back to her you can always tell her no one is as good as she is! But seriously, there is not just one way to learn how to play or how to teach the piano and you should really expose yourself to new ideas and appriaches at this point. Change is not necessarily a bad thing.

Elena
http://www.concertpianist.com

Schnabel's advie to Horowitz: "When a piece gets difficult, make faces."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I totally agree with EHPianist. Ten yrs. is a long time to spend with one teacher, and you should look at going to university as a chance to broaden your horizons. I still keep in contact with my very first teacher, and when I am in her area occaisionally play for her, and she gives me good advice and coaching still. However, I would not have learned as much had I kept her as a teacher, and that is nothing against her, it is a matter of exposing yourself to different ideas about music and the piano.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have been very comfortable learning on my own. If you can't find a local teacher, you could ask your current teacher what would be a good year long learning project for you. I would certainly rather practice than drive.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi Kawahime,

I too spent 10 years with my first teacher and garnered awards and acolades in the process. But 10 years with one teacher was enough. At this point, your best bet might be to concentrate on academics while you're in college, especially where you're not majoring in music. You can find pianos around campus to play for yourself and others when you have the time. If there is an artist-teacher in residence in the music department, see if it might be possible to study for awhile with that person--as long as your schedule will realistically permit it! If an accommodadation can be made, and if you do have the time, great.

Once you graduate, if you want to commence piano lessons again, you'll be back to piano as if you never left in very short order. But I would not recommend returning to your old teacher. Find out who the prominent artist-teachers are in your area and contact/interview them to find the best fit for you. While you actually don't need "lessons", it is motivating to prepare for them, it introduces exacting discipline, and you'll likely accomplish more in the long run. But the lessons will be more "coaching" than teaching with particular emphasis on discussing and debating matters of interpretation--very stimulating to be sure! You'll get altogether new perspectives from this artist-teacher that will compliment what you learned from your first teacher.

Also, you will not need weekly sessions at all. With my second teacher, we met every three weeks. Given my busy work schedule and practice time needed to bring pieces up to snuff, we settled on an every three-week schedule for the next seven years, which was perfect for me.

And if I were to have the opportunity to go back to serious study, I would find a third artist-teacher, because I know that I would get an entirely new set of insights. This gives one a multidimensional musical heritage that can only be passed down by more than one teacher.

J
J
Hi kawahime,

I just want to let you know that taking piano lessons along with a busy University schedule is doable. I'm currently in my last year of study (and I'm not in music either!) and I continue to drive 45 minutes every other week to see my piano teacher. The inspiration, encouragement and guidance from my teacher really kept me going. Yes, some times you would need to work your ass off to balance your school and piano and sacrifice some leisure time. But I find it all worthy. Having a teacher also gives you the opportunities to perform. You don't have to double the lesson time either, you'll just progress a bit slower. But some progress is better than none! wink

Aside from that, what are you going to study at University? Sciences? Is it UBC? Best luck to you!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission