Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#452859 - 10/21/08 10:38 PM Bad timing!
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Lots of people have issues with faulty terminology. Song has gotten lots of attention, and baby grand a fair amount, too.

I was very surprised to learn in this current thread that voicing doesn't officially have the meaning it's commonly understood to have by classical pianists (in addition to the ones used by piano technicians and jazz pianists)!

What about "timing" in the context of classical music?

When I hear a pianist refer to timing, I imagine a concerto performance where the soloist's entry coincides with the end of a tutti or a jazz combo in which the pianist must be in step with the other players. Indeed, the "official" meanings relate to synchronization and "the regulation of occurrence, pace, or coordination to achieve a desired effect (as in music, theater, athletics, mechanics)."

Just as with voicing, I couldn't find a definition for timing that affirms the sense in which it's popularly used, viz. the arithmetical counting of beats that comprise rhythm. I wonder how timing became accepted as shorthand for counting time—and if anyone finds this usage comparably vexing to "song," etc.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#452860 - 10/21/08 10:49 PM Re: Bad timing!
PianistOne111 Offline

Loc: Utah
That's what timing means? I use it in a more general sense: when things happen relative to each other. I'm talking about timing (and voicing) when I say that some people play the melody earlier than the other voices.
I'm talking about timing when I say that a small pause before a sf might make it sound a bit more surprising.
I'm talking about timing when I say that in an orchestra, basses might start their notes earlier than violins because bass bodies take longer to get moving.

#452861 - 10/21/08 11:23 PM Re: Bad timing!
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Hey Steven, your mailbox is full!!!

I don't find "timing" all that vexing myself. But I could see how some might think that way.

#452862 - 10/22/08 01:44 AM Re: Bad timing!
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
No, it's always jarring for me when someone calls a "piece" a "song," but neither "timing" nor "voicing" bother me.

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#452863 - 10/22/08 09:27 PM Re: Bad timing!
1RC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Alberta
I found a definition for voicing, in our common context, easily enough at dictionary.com:

17. the finer regulation, as of intensity and color, in tuning, esp. of a piano or organ.

19. Music. a. to regulate the tone of, as the pipes of an organ.

Works for me. Then we might get into a snare of what tone means, but I think the easy answer for piano is that the one thing we know we can control is the volume of the notes. So, if we speak of voicing as regulating the tone, I think it's perfectly reasonable to take that to mean the relative volume of simultanious notes (so far as piano is concerned). Do we need to make it any more difficult?

Timing:

3. the selecting of the best time or speed for doing something in order to achieve the desired or maximum result: I went to ask for a raise, but my timing was bad, since the boss had indigestion.

This also works for me.

How about when people call baroque classical? Or when somebody calls the ceiling a roof?

Sometimes the word is just used wrong, but it's easy to see what the person means. Other times, I find it to be annoying semantic arguement.

#452864 - 10/22/08 09:35 PM Re: Bad timing!
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
 Quote:
Originally posted by 1RC:
I found a definition for voicing, in our common context, easily enough at dictionary.com:

17. the finer regulation, as of intensity and color, in tuning, esp. of a piano or organ.

19. Music. a. to regulate the tone of, as the pipes of an organ.

[...] [/b]
This is precisely what many of us are not[/b] talking about when we talk about voicing in the performance of piano literature. In both instances you quote, this is regulation to an instrument done by a technician in preparing and servicing the instrument, and it has nothing to do with the "manner" in which a performer sounds the individual notes of a chord in comparison with each other.

Regards,

#452865 - 10/22/08 09:39 PM Re: Bad timing!
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
I have heard many people say that "timing is off" or "the timing is wrong" or some similar expression using the word "timing" when a performer's sense of rhythm is imprecise, when note values are not precisely observed, or when the rhythm is not regular when it should be.

Regards,

#452866 - 10/23/08 09:09 AM Re: Bad timing!
Guendola Offline

If "timing" is used in German about music, it means exactly what BruceD said, but used by pop- and jazz musicians only. There is no equivalent expression for classical music. Well, there is "Agogik" but that is rather using tempo changes for expression (not meaning "Rubato", Agogik is more general).

I guess a lot of confusion comes form international internet boards. People often learn musical expressions in their native language, especially for classical music. For pop and jazz, English expressions are much more common - at least in Germany - and so people use those instead and other readers simply adopt them.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baroque Pitch - The Well-Tempered Clavier
by Badinage
09/16/14 02:25 AM
Need Leutke Leipzig info
by Gardenergirl
09/16/14 12:26 AM
Best digital approximation
by TEHunter1
09/15/14 11:49 PM
Wow, check out this baby!
by Paul678
09/15/14 09:31 PM
Baby Grand new Hammer Knuckles.
by OscarL
09/15/14 08:30 PM
Who's Online
75 registered (barbaram, AZNpiano, AEMontoya, aesop, 17 invisible), 789 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76209 Members
42 Forums
157554 Topics
2314208 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission