2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#453358 07/23/07 11:14 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hello to all !!!

I try to attend the Mozarteum in salzburg the next your and I thought maybe you can give me some advice on the pieces.
They want a challenging etude, a sonata (Beethoven, Haydn or Mozart), Something by Bach and something from the romantic era.
The last lesson I had is about 4 years ago so I guess my technique isn´t at that level as it once was so maybe some exercises would be helpful is well. My level 4 years ago was ähm, chopin etude 0p.10 no.12 and beethoven´s pathetique and moonlight but I just can play fragments of that and I think practicing them again is harder as to learn something new.
Maybe you can help me. Thanks a lot
andy

music is enough for lifetime, but lifetime is not enough for music (S.Rachmaninoff)
#453359 07/23/07 03:48 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
After not taking lessons for 4 years, I would not try to learn all new repertoire for an entrance exam.

Have you done any of the Wel-Tempered Clavier? Which one(s)?

I would stick with the Chopin "Revolutionary" Etude. You have already have learned the notes. Same with the Pathetique. (Have you learned any other Sonatas by Haydn, Mozart or Beethoven other than that and the Moonlight?)

I'm sure you have learned something in the Romantic era. Any other Chopin? What about Liszt? Or Schumann. (A quick learn might be the first two pieces from Schumann's Op. 12.)

Are you planning to get a teacher or coach to help you prepare for the audition? I think it is very important to do so.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
#453360 07/23/07 03:55 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
yes maybe as you said, you need to refresh yourself with new repertoire...

For Bach perhaps one of his preludes and fugues?
Since it's a Mozateum why not a Mozart sonata but I would'nt be able to judge which one is suitable cauz 4 yrs without lessons is a long time.
For a Romantice piece why not liszt or schumann?
For the Etude you could pick one of the easier ones like Op.10 No.6 or Op.25 No.1?

1st things 1st go get a teacher to help you out

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
#453361 07/23/07 04:05 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
oh, and I forgot to mention this...why the Mozateum after you haven't had lessons for 4 years? and you said the standard of your technique has dropped too. In such a situation i think chances of getting near the top are really slim. If you really want to take part in it why not spend an extra year studying with a teacher 1st

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
#453362 07/26/07 06:33 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hello, thanks for your reply !!

4 years without lessons doesn´t mean I have not played at all. I just can´t play the old stuff anymore because maybe I practised it to death. Thats the problem I had. When I was able the play a piece I was not able to keep it. After a year I tried again and sure that one can´t play a piece after year without practicing it, but I tried to play it the same speed and so mistakes over mistakes came into it and the fun was gone. When I was 15 I was already preparing for the mozarteum and it was my dream. A week after the examination my teacher told me, that living as a pianist is very tough and the money very rare and my mother said the same so I was so depressed that I didn´t do the examination and quit playing the piano seriously for 4 years. I started studying molecular biology and I have nearly finished. The last time I thought about my past and what I have reached in my live and it came to me, that I have never lived my dream that I wanted. Now the money is not the problem because I have stúdied something else as well and so I decided to try again what I missed 7 years ago.
I want to do the exam in a years time or so, so there is enough time I guess. I try to find a teacher but it is not that easy because as a student money is very rare at the moment, but I know that it is my dream and I will do that.
I´ve already played a few fugues from bach and the things I mentioned. But I´m afraid that it will be very hard to get rid of the many mistakes that appeared over the years.
oh my god, my english is horrible, sorry for that *G*
thanks again.

music is enough for lifetime, but lifetime is not enough for music (S.Rachmaninoff)

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission