2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,957 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#453998 01/02/03 12:15 AM
M
mrmadd Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Ive just begun to discover sixteenth notes in a piano book I have. Iam work with sixteenth notes and sixteenth notes with quater notes in a 2/4 time signature. I understand this to mean that when using sixteenth notes the tempo is going to be fairly fast, or at least faster than say with eigth notes. This may seem like an obviouse question, but Iam trying to work out the whole conventions to this. Thanks

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Nope, note values have nothing to do with tempo.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
L
L
Keep in mind: proportions

Such as you can take 1 hour to play 1 eight note ... just make sure you take 30 minutes on a sixteenth note.

Knowing this, you can have a song with nothing but complete sixteenth notes but the tempo can make it so slow as to make it almost sound like quater notes. Basically, just play sixteenth notes half the speed of eight and you'll be ok.

whole - half - quater - eigth - sixteenth

Generally speaking sixteenth notes will make a faster song... but many, many times I've played concertos on the violin where the song is very slow but many sixteenths are used.

I use a Roland KR-277 Digital Piano and I just love it!
There are no "conventions" connecting the note values and the tempo. Those are separate categories. Any given tempo is measured by the number of beats per minute (at least since the Beethoven days, at which time the metronome was invented), the note value for the beat given in the time signature (i.e. */4 meaning the beat is a quarter-note, */2 the beat is a half-note, etc.). The note values, on the other hand, are measurement of their relative lengths, compared to each other: a half-note lasts half as much as a whole-note, a quarter-note half as much as a half-note, etc., in any given tempo (sorry if I'm explaining the obvious). There is a plethora of pieces using very small note values (thirty-two notes, sixty-four notes, even smaller) and still being in a generally slow tempo; take a look at some of the slow movements from Beethoven's sonatas for instance. Of course, the small note values themselves may call for some pretty nifty finger-work in some of these movements (e.g. Sonata op.10 No.1 in Cm, Adagio molto), but that doesn’t change the tempo of the piece - keep in mind what I said earlier about the tempo and how it is measured!

Borut
BTW, this site may be helpful:
Music Theory online
Good luck! smile

Borut
M
mrmadd Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the responce......I was playing right before going online and I began to realize the answer to my question...But I still like the varification. Thanks again for the help

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission