2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hey all! I just joined this community for the sole purpose to get info about this community for my college writing class. I have four questions that would help furthur my research.

1) Why did you decide to join this community?

2) How has being part of this community helped you with your piano playing?

3) Has being part of this community inspired you to explore new music?

4) As your motto states, "Playing the Piano is Fun!... Pass it on." do you enjoy playing the piano?

Thanks,

Your answers are appreciated.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
1) I wanted to become more of a serious pianist and musician. I think I have started on my long journey with music and look forward to years of enjoyment with music.

2) Lots of Study Groups, Practice Battles, and Online Recitals not only help you push yourself, you get support from those around you aswell.

3) I've started listening to jazz more and more lately partly due to some threads in the Non-Classical Forum.

4) I love the piano. I ENJOY it soo much!

Matt

OP Offline
Thanks a lot

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
crazypianolover :

I will say: Welcome! although yours is a strange introduction : Your "sole" purpose for being here is to report on us for your writing class! Given that fact, it might have been a courtesy on your part to give us some information about you - since you are asking information of us - and why you chose to write about this forum.

Has your writing instructor not taught you one of the very first rules of writing : Write about something you know?

What sort of "info" about this community do you hope to get? It seems to me that your questions aren't geared to reveal much to you - or to anyone else - about the nature of the Pianist Corner of Piano World, but rather about personal information and motivations about the individuals who post here. I don't think that that will necessarily give you an idea of what this community is all about.

I think anyone would have a much better idea of the makeup and the function(s) of the Pianist Corner community had he been here for a while and had been experiencing this community first hand. It seems to me to be skimpy research to drop in on a community and report on it when you yourself know only what those who are inclined to respond will respond. Individual responses will vary widely depending on individual circustamces. First-hand experience would be much more reliable in forming your impressions about this community than the responses you are likely to get.

I would bet that most of us - had we been asked - would not even have been aware of the "motto" - as you call it - of Piano World.

That's not to say that you won't get responses to your questions, but as any researcher knows responses to questions of the type you are asking may reveal more about the individuals responding than about the community of which they are a part.

Welcome! Enjoy your visit.

Good luck!

P.S. : Do you plan to share a copy of your report with this Forum when it is ready for submission?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally posted by BruceD:

Has your writing instructor not taught you one of the very first rules of writing : Write about something you know?

I would bet that most of us - had we been asked - would not even have been aware of the "motto" - as you call it - of Piano World.

he knows that!

i didn't

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
OP Offline
I am a college student who has played piano for 9 almost 10 years. I enjoy playing the piano, which is why I chose to research this community. I agree with your statement about one of the first rules of writing is to write about something I know but, I was given this assignment to join an online community and learn about them, so that is what I did. You are right when you say that my questions are more personal and I guess I miscommunicated, but I guess I am just looking for basic information about how the forums and topics help the members. I wish I had more time to spend in this community for this project and to experience it firsthand but as part of my assignment I was asked to post questions. Yes I was planning on posting my research in this topic.

crazypianolover

OP Offline
apple,

what didn't you know?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
crazypianolover:

Welcome to the forum. I would suggest that you read all of the current first page topics before you formulate the questions you want to ask.

After you read the topics, pick one you would like to read and respond to with an opinion. Then see what kind of responses you get. Are the people nice and considerate, snobby, opinionated, bad-tempered, well-informed, stupid?

Then, I would like to hear what you think of the forum as your first reaction.

It took me many months to really get an idea about what kind of resources are availble here. At first I was only interested in the "Pianist Corner" but then my interest began to widen. I found myself checking out the "Adult Beginners" and the "Piano Teachers" and finally the "Piano Tuners and Technicians" as well as the main topic "Pianos." I still haven't discovered everything here and I've already been a member for 9 months.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Tenuto:
Are the people nice and considerate, snobby, opinionated, bad-tempered, well-informed, stupid?

Some of us have the skills of being all that at one and the same time! laugh

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the big chuckle, BruceD.

wink

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by crazypianolover:

4) As your motto states, "Playing the Piano is Fun!... Pass it on." do you enjoy playing the piano?
1) Somebody had a question about Alberti bass, and I thought I had an answer.

2) Actually, it's been a huge distraction. :p I've gotten some great advice here in response to my recordings that I've posted, and of course the discussions are always very interesting.

3) Yep. In what ways, exactly, I can't tell you, but I know that it has.

4) We have a motto? Well, yes, I do enjoy playing the piano. smile

Sam
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Tenuto, be careful of what you post. Some might draw the unpleasant conclusion that you are a demeanorist*. These days, it's dangerous not to let relativism and subjectivism prescribe and proscribe our behaviour in all areas of life.

* Demeanorist = a person who judges people based on how they look and behave.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Antonius:

Goodness gracious, Antonius, now you have sent me to the dictionary feeling downright stupid.

It takes skill to invent a word that actually sounds plausible (in a weird sort of a way).

Now you see what we can learn on this forum?

:rolleyes:

apple,

what didn't you know?
the piano world motto. i had no idea

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Actually, while inventing the word I searched Google, and noticed that someone had already used it, so I can't take full credit for coining it. Besides which, it's now only a matter of time before you can find it in Oxford's Holy Unabridged, but I doubt it will ever become popular enough for other dictionaries.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey all! I just joined this community for the sole purpose to get info about this community for my college writing class. I have four questions that would help furthur my research.

Thanks,

1) it was great to find out that I was not alone in my piano obsession and that there were even others out there worse than me :p
2) yes and no. I've learned so much but it has taken lots of time that I could have been playing!
3) yes, definitely
4) absolutely, otherwise why bother?

The best thing about this place is that it is full of people who share the same degree of passion for the piano that I have so it feels like a true community. Plus there are lots of very nice and smart folks around here who are fun to hang out with! smile
Sophia

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

Thanks,

1. Joined because of a common interest in the piano! But after I joined, realized that this community was similar to High School. There's the smart but not too social group (Pianist Corner) group who dislikes the fun group (Non-Classical). Classical and Non-Classical don't always see eye to eye because we are fun, and they are not! :p Like right now, I'm in the Pianist Corner and they see Jazz/Blues and don't like that class of music much!

Then you have the high school teachers (Piano Teacher forum) who are very serious! Then you have the technical people (Tuners/Technicians) who talk about every thing that breaks and then how to fix it. Then the product seller for High Schools (Piano Forum), who review and compete to get their product into the school (piano dealers, owners, and such). They can fight like cats and dogs! Oh, and then you have the Grade 9's (Adult beginners) who are having too much fun! Talking about all they are learning! Fun group there! But still Grade 9's!

Finally, this place is very addictive! But Music is our drug of choice!

Hope that answers all those questions. Just my take! Now I'll get out of the Pianist Corner before they realize I was here! laugh

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I'm in a benevolent mood, so I'll hide your tracks...

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Hi crazypl,

Here's a recent thread you might take a look at.

OP Offline
Thanks to those of you who have responded. Your replies have helped me a lot.

Tenuto,

I will take your suggestion to participate in other topics.

crazypianolover

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission