2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Well I have played both of em and I think that your choice could also be influenced by the piano you're playing. If you have a piano with the most amazing bass you've ever heard, I think it would be fun to play the ossia. One of my teachers instilled that thought process in me, and I thought it quite logical. However, I do like Mr. Biegels view about the shorter being more pianistic; like Max said, you're not trying to substitute for the orchestra.

My favorite recording is Horowitz '51. No doubts about that for me. If you want to hear how the cadenza is supposed to sound, listen to this puppy. Listening to him play the scherzando section makes me think of watching a tree grow(in fast forward); I just can barely believe it when I hear it.

Help people. www.thehungersite.com
Go and click the button. That's it. Just do it.
R
R
In my personal opinion, I prefer the shorter cadenza. I just think that it fits the piece better, but it also depends on the way the pianist plays the rest of the piece, especially the line before the cadenza. I prfer it played slowely like Argerich, it helps to build up to the cadenza. If it is played faster like Wild then I think it ruins the effect of the start of the cadenza. But all in all, I prefer the shorter one.

Once during a concert at Carnegie Hall, the violinist Rachmaninoff was playing with lost his place in the music and whispered to Rachmaninoff, "Where are we?" Rachmaninoff replied, in all seriousness, "Carnegie Hall".
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Okay to hop back in here? Passions have cooled off a bit I trust.

The last concerto I learned before switching to church music and organ at university was the Saint-Saëns C minor (no cakewalk to be sure), so the inevitable issue of tackling Rachmaninov 3 never came up and is unlikely to do so at this point.

Still, I have read through the piece many times playing both cadenzas. The larger cadenza is indeed impressive, but I simply feel the shorter one works better in the musical context. Yet ultimately -as inferred elsewhere in this thread- it really depends on one's overall concept of the piece.

Interestingly, the first time I heard Argerich's recording (I must have been 12 or 13 with no prior knowledge of her cadenza choice), I simply knew she would opt for the shorter one. It makes perfect sense in her conception of the piece. Her recording (IMHO) is one of the finest modern interpretations, but of course I wouldn't be biased, would I? laugh

Jason
I know people who like to show off prefer the longer cadenza because it's considered to be more difficult technically. But musically I don't like it. It just sounds overindulgent. It almost seems to get in the way of the piece, if that makes any sense.

On the other hand, when I hear the shorter cadenza it seems to flow so much better.

I prefer the shorter one as a listener but I prefer to play the longer one.

V
V
I'm definitely for the long cadenza, but Kocsis has done a very nice job in his recording with the short one... The longer one has never satisfied me [completely] in any pianist's performance... Every one has a little bit, that's very nice, and yet every one has another bit (rather larger one), that's not as good as I'd like it to be. In other words, if you out together the right performers' right bits, you'll get the perfect long cadenza. This would make the concerto so much more beautiful...

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
In reading everyone's opinions, they are all valid and extremely interesting. However, the most important thing in this piece is how one tenderly and simply phrases the first two pages--there's a specific color and hue to the opening that sets the tone for the whole piece. This is what Adele Marcus was great at (yes, she was demanding--but she really knew her stuff and had her name attached to every student--she was a genius of sound and color--even Horowitz said to her, 'Why don't you perform more--how do you get that sound??' The cd being made at the moment of her old recordings found in her apartment after she passed should be announced in the spring.) I remember lisetsning to Alicia De Larrocha's recording of the Rach 3--yes, she played it--it was so elegant. The cadenza was not sped through, but rather weaved with color and a great sense of line. The Rachmaninoff recording as well--the Byron Janis recording--they're beautiful. Yes, one can pace that longer cadenza and downplay the big chords--somehow ehen you play that first big chordal section a bit softer, it sounds loud enough by simply bringing out the main theme chords more than the others--which saves room for the passionate climax as in the shorter cadenza. Funny thing--when I play the first movement especially, when it ends, it feels as though I have played an elaborate expansion of Mozart and Chopin--just with alot more embroidery. On my mind is still bringing out the melodic content with everything else filigreed around it--otherwise, it's too many notes. I never want my listener to think, 'Gee, great octaves, thirds, fingers, etc.' Even Rachmaninoff's own recording is deeply musical and the technical aspect is not paramount.

I'm playing it in Charleston next season, and what I am always concerned about is that the piano should not be too bright--but rich and milky in sound--yet have enough sonority to cut through the orchestra.

E
ecm Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Very well, JBiegel.
I apologize. My temper sometimes does terrible things to me. (very rarely)

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
We're just human--hope to hear you play the Rach 3 sometime! Such a magnificent concerto by an amazing composer.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission