Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 25 of 26 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 >
Topic Options
#2226259 - 02/05/14 10:31 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
cgalpha08 Offline

Loc: Indiana
Hello everyone,
seeing as I missed this thread might as well do it now!

Wow, so much information here!! My name is Connor, I have been playing piano since i was 5 ( I am now 22), I was classically trained. I have played acoustic pianos all my life and since having moved I am making the switch to digital pianos, for portability reasons. I currently have a 61 key CTK-558 that I had laying around the house for 13 or so years and am desperately looking to upgrade. I have narrowed my selection down to the Yamaha-p255. Anyway love all of the information I have found here and look forward to contributing some.

Thanks!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2227573 - 02/07/14 05:38 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
briandang Offline

Hello,

I'm Brian, new member. I'm a self learner and currently working on the Moonlight Sonata 1st movement, musically. I have a 100 yrs old full upright Victor Chicago Bush & Lane (a player without the player installed). I tune the piano myself.

I found this Moonlight version online and like the way it was played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQVeaIHWWck

I wonder if anyone know the pianist and if there is a piano solo version by the same pianist?

Regards,
Brian

Edited by briandang (02/07/14 05:51 PM)

#2228558 - 02/09/14 04:45 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Clementi11 Offline

Loc: US and UK
Hallo! :-)

I don't quite know what to say so I'll plough on in and hope for the best!

I've been playing since I was four - I have high functioning autism with a savant profile and it manifests in an "autistic-type" of musicality (don't know how else to put it, sorry!)

There was a piano in my house when I was a child and I started hearing sonatas and suchlike played on the radio or record player (yes, it was that long ago - for young people on the forum - a record player is what happened before mp3's and iPods!!) and I would sit down and just instantly repeat the entire thing and so this interested people and I became a bit of a curiosity which was fun for a while but then began being a little unpleasant as I felt like a performing monkey, brought out periodically to do my party trick and then hidden away again! But I was fortunate too as a piano teacher was found who could bear to deal with me (I'm not the easiest of students as I tend to criticize the works of the great masters!) and she noticed I had perfect pitch. I started composing properly at around age 8 and the rest, as I think people say, is history!

For ages I sort of backed away from it all as I disliked the attention it brought on me and the whole performing in front of people thing embarrassed me - it's not skill, nothing to do with that and I would never pretend it was. I have read some of your posts and many of you are clearly wonderfully talented and skilled pianists - I was just born this way.

Having said that, I'm glad I was as I find music is pretty much the only way I can really express myself, I'm not great with verbal speech but ok-ish in textual form so internet is great for me as it's a great leveller really and none of us really knows what difficulties anyone else has so we're all equal in a way, I like that a great deal. But anyway, I have no idea what I'd do without my piano, life would be awful, in fact, I can't really imagine it!

I got the LRAM many years ago (I'm late 40's now) and am currently thinking about doing the FRSM, more for fun than anything else - I got scholarships when I was around 15/16 to go to two different music colleges in London to study the piano but, for various reasons, I didn't take up the offers (which I now truly regret but I'm not the most "functional" of people aside from piano playing to be honest, still have daily home support to deal with normal day-to-day things like cooking, shopping etc. Anyway, I like the idea of setting myself a goal - whether or not I ever do the FRSM is irrelevant really in a way, I just like the idea of focussing on a few pieces from the repertoire, or perhaps choosing some of my own, and then really perfecting them expression-wise and perhaps interpreting too.

So, that's about it really! Hallo anyway and I'm really looking forward to getting to know others on here. :-)

#2228663 - 02/09/14 07:49 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
hreichgott Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Hello Clementi11, nice to meet you. Many of us communicate better through music than otherwise. It is a godsend!
Totally loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2228819 - 02/10/14 05:36 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Clementi11 Offline

Loc: US and UK
Hi Heather,

It certainly IS a godsend. I'm sure some would see my autism as a negative thing but, personally, I find it a real gift - something I am blessed with rather than something bad.

:-)

#2231591 - 02/14/14 03:39 PM New to this forum [Re: Kreisler]
pianogranny Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Hi,
I am Karen. I graduated in 1982 with a BA in Applied Piano from UW-Milwaukee. I wasn't good enough to perform, but enjoyed teaching for about 20 years. From 1994 to the present, I have worked as a freelance writer. I have five children and soon to be 8 grandchildren. For the past 5 years, I have been without a piano due to financial repercussions of my husband breaking his neck and three surgeries to follow that. The kids are out of the house now, my husband is stable and I finally scraped enough money together to get another piano. I love my 1994 Baldwin. It plays like a dream. Currently, I sound pretty bad on the piano and gave most of my book away when I sold my piano, so I am trying to reaquire my library.
Freelance journalist
"Music is what feelings sound like"

1994 Baldwin R

#2233147 - 02/17/14 12:46 PM Re: New to this forum [Re: Kreisler]
kolorkeys Offline

Loc: India
Hey! Did some email digging to find this user account that I created years ago. Quite a bit has changed since then. I'm a year out of high school and trying to make a career in music. Been studying the piano for about eight years now. I love it like nothing else. I hope to be really good someday, but it's a long road. This November I appeared for my Advanced Certificate(Trinity) and fortunately scraped through a distinction. Gunning for the first diploma next year. I compose too - do listen to my recently released album here if you have the time! Feedback is always welcome.

I'm really glad to be here. It seems like a great community that I can learn a lot from. (Yes, I've been lurking a bit.) Plus, I can't associate much with the people around me because I'm so wrapped up practicing and writing music, so I'm hoping I find like-minded people here. Cheers.

#2238699 - 02/27/14 07:03 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Poppysmom]
Michael Forbes Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Awesome, Kate!!!

Loved your inspirational story. I didn't start playing until I was 54, and hopefully I will never stop. I don't know what I would do without it, and wonder how I went so long without the joy of playing.

Good luck!!!

Mike

http://soundcloud.com/michael-forbes-5

#2238706 - 02/27/14 07:18 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
caters Offline

Loc: Columbus, ohio, USA
Hi I am an intermediate level pianist and exploring scales past the regular major and minor scales. I have a post about those scales and their formatting as well as questions there about the fingerings of such scales.

I am also looking up the first 200 digits of certain irrational numbers, assigning them key signatures and a digit for each note, and then playing them.

#2247827 - 03/17/14 09:51 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
mp15 Offline

Just saw this thread and thought I would say hello!

I'm Matt, and I'm currently a freshman in college studying for a music minor. I started playing piano when I was 5 or 6, and developed to the point of playing Chopin's 1st Ballade in a recital, but I lost interest around middle school age and took a four-year hiatus (which I sorely regret.) I got a real teacher around junior year, and the music hasn't left me ever since. Unfortunately, I realized I wasn't developed enough to apply to a serious music school, but I love playing and hope to enter a concerto competition at my school in the fall.

I hope to be around and possibly post a few recordings soon!

-Matt

#2249210 - 03/20/14 04:06 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
compianist1 Offline

Loc: Banned
agree.

#2249434 - 03/20/14 11:34 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
MHPiano Offline

Loc: ME, USA
First-time post.

My mother was a piano teacher so I took lessons (classical) from ages 6 to 16, reaching advanced intermediate level. Now 50 years later, I'm about to inherit my mother's Mason & Hamlin A from my brother. After it's restored, I'll pick up from where I left off. In the mean time, I'm bringing my old repertoire back to life on an upright.

My job involves a lot of car time, so for the last 10 years I've been listening to classical music 10-20 hours a week. Chopin, Rachmaninov, Bach, and Scriabin played by Cortot, Richter, Gould, and Horowitz respectively are my current favorites.

Pieces that I hope to eventually play reasonably well include:
Chopin Nocturne Op 27/1
Rachmaninov Prelude Op 32/10
Bach Partita 6 Tocatta
Scriabin Prelude Op 8/11

#2252364 - 03/26/14 11:52 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Dennis in Canada Offline

Loc: Duclos, Québec, Canada
I am relatively new to this forum.

I am recently retired and spend a few hours almost everyday practicing and playing piano. I have a great teacher who has studied in Canada and in Europe who plays piano and accordion professionally. I consider myself an intermediate student -- I am presently Learning the first of Mozart's Six Viennese Sonatinas, edited by Prostakoff.

I am happy with my progress, though at times I feel I am not progressing as much as I would like.

I have been playing for approx. 15 years, though most of my progress has been achieved in the past 5 years with my present teacher.

What I want to say is that I used to feel intimidated playing to pianists who could play "better" than I. This has changed with my present teacher as I understand that some pianists are simply more advanced than others. It is not a question of being better than someone else. What used to be intimidation has been replaced by admiration for pianists whose technical skills are greater than mine because I know the work that is required to get to those levels. When I hear a good pianist play, it is an inspiration and encouragement to continue studying and playing piano.

I have come to realize that it is never too late for your dreams or ambitions. I have a lot of respect for anyone who puts time and effort into playing an instrument, and especially to anyone who takes it up later on in life.

Let's keep making music!

#2255104 - 03/31/14 11:45 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Bhav]
iChristina Offline

Loc: FL
Good Luck!!

Originally Posted By: Bhav
Hi. I'm a new member smile

I just joined after ordering a Yamaha DGX 630, it's not a real piano I know, but I cant afford, nor have space for one yet frown

It will be far better then my current PSR-530 which doesnt even have enough keys for the pieces I am learning.

I started playing the keyboard when I was 5, and was really good at it and have been playing almost daily since then, but never got lessons beyond what I learnt in music and afterschool classes because my parents were cheapskates that wouldnt pay for lessons. bah

But I managed to make my own way to Grade 5 playing ability at 16, Grade 7 by 19, and then got stuck while studying a minor in music for my degree as I didnt really know what I was doing and couldnt get any better due to having a terrible technique. I gave up for almost 2 years when I was 22, and just started playing again last month and have somehow started to make really good progress with grade 8+ pieces, and am practicing a lot better now with scales and excersizes, and seem to understand my instrument a lot better then I did when I was in my teens, hence why I needed to buy a Portable Grand.

Soon I will be self taught to Grade 8+ standard, by the end of 2009 I should be a pro smile

I hardly know anything about music theory, or classical music, and am mostly going to be learning rag time piano, but I will also learn a few classical pieces too.

#2259744 - 04/10/14 01:34 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Clementi11]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Originally Posted By: Clementi11
Hi Heather,

It certainly IS a godsend. I'm sure some would see my autism as a negative thing but, personally, I find it a real gift - something I am blessed with rather than something bad.

:-)

Indeed it should be seen as a gift. My son is autistic as is my step son. And I've self-diagnosed as having Aspergers

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2267731 - 04/27/14 12:54 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Pover Online   content

Loc: Jordan
Hey everyone, this is my first post smile

I found this forum months ago, but i didn't register back then. I've been a lurker here for as long as I can remember, and in some way, I feel I know some of you already :P

Anyway, I'm 17.5 years old right now. I've been self-taught for the past 2 years and I'm trying to get a hold of an affordable teacher maybe in the next couple of months (after I finish my edexcel exams). I'll try to make it a habit to contribute here as I honestly feel this is a great and extremely knowledgeable and helpful community, and it's a privilege to have a place like this where people like me can greatly benefit from your contributions!

I play classical music. Don't have a thing for jazz or improv in general. My favorite composers are the great Beethoven and Chopin (funny those two didn't appeal to each other... strange..). I truly don't think you can beat the classical heroism and prowess beethoven presents in his MARVELOUS sonatas, or the beautiful lyrical and romantic gestures chopin presents in his works.

Basically, this is just an introduction. I hope I'll be able to contribute and join the discussion as often as I would like to. But for now, nice to meet you all, and see you around! smile

Edited by Pover (04/27/14 12:56 PM)

Working on:
Schumann arabeske op. 18
Chopin nocturne op. 32/1
Mozart sonata in D, K 311

#2268922 - 04/29/14 11:24 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
SigFigs Offline

Greetings all

I have been playing piano for 4 months. I am 26 years old. Right now, I have a teacher who is training me in classical music. I must say that learning to play the piano is extremely fun and frustrating. My teacher has started me on my path to learning arpeggios and two songs. My favorite composers are Mahler, Chopin, and Bach. My long term goals are to be able to play some of my favorite pieces by said composers. Short term goals is to be able to play grade 2 pieces by the end of the year. My teacher already has me working towards one.

#2269785 - 05/01/14 08:07 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
JohnPWillis Offline

Loc: Las Cruces, NM USA
Hello All!

I've been enjoying lurking on these boards for some time, but finally decided to join in. My name is John, I'm 33, and have been playing the piano since I was 3. Took lessons from age 5 to age 19, the highlights of which were studying under William Leland at NMSU and the late Stefan Bardas, who was himself a student of Alfredo Casella, Edwin Fischer, and Artur Schnabel.

Getting back into regular practice again, and hoping to glean some new understandings from the sage wisdom of this forum's regulars!

#2270671 - 05/03/14 07:04 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
philnm Offline

Loc: New Mexico
I'm forever limited in my ambition but I hope not my enjoyment by an impaired left hand (two trigger fingers plus reconstructed thumb basal joint). I've looked into pieces for the right hand only--far fewer than for the left, of course-- and they are way too difficult for me. Is it ridiculous to think that I might learn to play left-hand-only pieces with my right hand? (By the way--I can play with my left hand if the left-hand part is simple and contains no runs, e.g., Joplin rags.)

#2280642 - 05/24/14 07:40 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Mark Cerisano, RPT Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hi Kreisler,

I'm migrating over here from the Tech forum. I just wanted to know a bit more about the concerns of pianists in general.

Thanks for calling out.

Mark

#2282422 - 05/28/14 06:01 PM New member from London, UK! [Re: Kreisler]
pianoskate Offline

Hi everyone, I'm new here.. well I'm returning after about 5 years anyway! I've learnt since I was 9 and am now 42.

I play classical piano and compose, and am learning a bit of jazz now and then. I have an upright Bluthner (1906) and a Yamaha digital in the YDP range.

I'm currently learning Chopin Etude Opus 10 no.3, Bach Partita no.4 (allemande) and a Bartok Bulgarian Dance from Mikrokosmos 6. I'm looking forward to chatting to you - would love to chat about these pieces in particular. I'm struggling with the Chopin!

Edited by pianoskate (05/28/14 06:21 PM)

#2282478 - 05/28/14 09:09 PM Re: New member from London, UK! [Re: Kreisler]
hreichgott Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Hello and welcome pianoskate!
I have just created a French Suite 4 thread in your (our) honor.

EDIT
Sorry. My enthusiasm about the Suite caused me to misread your post. The 4th Partita is also genius of course. I think you will find many people excited to chat about these pieces smile

Edited by hreichgott (05/29/14 08:45 AM)
Totally loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2282788 - 05/29/14 02:28 PM Re: New member from London, UK! [Re: hreichgott]
pianoskate Offline

Thanks Heather! Well I'm about to start practising the partita now (and the Chopin), so I shall see how it goes!

#2285893 - 06/04/14 11:08 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: emmov]
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Or.
well, I am back again after a long hiatus during which I did not touch the piano. Eager to get back to playing, but have a lot of studying to do. Even pieces I used to play, now seem strange to me. Gaby tu.

#2287267 - 06/08/14 08:58 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: PianoManChuck]
hinderbinder Offline

Loc: WI
Hi PianoManChuck,

I think it's quite interesting that you can disregard note-reading because of your outstanding ear. Can you play by ear more complicated stuff, like Bach fugues, etc?

I've got a good ear and can pick stuff up also; however, I *have* to read music that's more complicated, which is not my favorite discipline.

#2287271 - 06/08/14 09:04 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
hinderbinder Offline

Loc: WI
Hi,

I might as well jump into the pool, too! Played different instruments as a kid (oboe, clarinet). Then, inspired by the Beatles, got a guitar in 6th grade and taught myself to play. I had tried piano lessons, twice, but could never get over feeling so overwhelmed by notes on the page. It would have helped to have a better-fitting teacher. Anyway w/guitar, played for years in different configurations (community jazz band; with singer/songwriters, in garage bands, etc.).

About 7-8 years ago classical music began to sound more and more appealing to me, and I started piano lessons in 2010. WHEW! Piano ain't easy! But it's sure worth the effort!!!!

#2287450 - 06/08/14 06:32 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
whales Offline

Hi all,

Been lurking for a while, ever since I went piano shopping a year and a half ago -- ended up with the Yamaha NU1 hybrid and couldn't be happier. I started when I was little and stopped taking lessons and performing halfway through college, but I've kept playing just for myself in the 4 years since then. Right now I'm focusing on learning The People United Will Never Be Defeated, which is super fun. But it's taking every trick I know to make progress on such a big piece, especially with as little time as I have to play lately...

#2289748 - 06/14/14 05:45 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Pianamateur Offline

Loc: UK
Hi all

I've been lurking since I restarted playing the piano last year and have finally registered. I have already learnt so much from this forum and hope to be able to contribute too in the future. Currently acoustic-less but my digital at least enables me to practice without annoying the people next door, downstairs or upstairs...!

Pam
Scarlatti - K213
Medtner - Canzona Matinata Op. 39/4
Schumann - Papillons Op. 2

#2289780 - 06/14/14 07:08 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Parks Offline

Loc: Northern CA
Hello Pam, welcome.

"Genius is nothing more than an extraordinary capacity for patience."
Leonardo da Vinci

#2291415 - 06/18/14 01:17 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Jim Munro Offline

Hi folks,

I'm a former gigging bassist but hadn't played anything challenging since college and lost most of my chops. I'm trying to improve my meager piano skills as a jazz pianist and improve playing for fun with my 5 year old.

I've taken a year or so of classical lessons getting through some Satie, a couple of 2 part inventions and a Schoenberg Kleine Klavierstucke.

I've joined a local practice group combo and am trying to balance practicing a lot with not straining my arms as I have very unrefined technique and ears that make me want to play what my hands aren't quite ready for. smirk Any tips are welcome.

Page 25 of 26 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
123 registered (36251, anotherscott, AndrewJCW, albumblatter, 35 invisible), 1354 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76001 Members
42 Forums
157156 Topics
2308147 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rusty strings- a silly question?
by PhilipInChina
08/30/14 08:59 AM
Yamaha "reconditioned in Japan"
by NanatoFour
08/30/14 08:44 AM
New start - wish me good luck:)
by FarmGirl
08/29/14 11:21 PM
Automatic Piano Players...
by tksler
08/29/14 10:33 PM
No one home?
by ScottM
08/29/14 08:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission