Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
66 registered (661-Pete, Al LaPorte, Beemer, Auver, Batuhan, Alux, 15 invisible), 1049 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 12 of 26 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25 26 >
Topic Options
#1417262 - 04/14/10 04:38 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Luna]
TheFool Offline

Howya, absolute newbie here.

My name's Dylan and I live in Ireland, currently studying for my final exams in school. Hoping to study music next year in Trinity College Dublin...

I started piano when I was 15, which was about three years ago now. I started because my sister had been playing about a year, and I was jealous of her being able to do something musical. Noble, eh? She's very angry that I'm now a) obsessed to such a degree that she finds it hard to get near our Kawai and b) better than her by a reasonable margin. (It wasn't deliberate, I swear...)

The last exam I did was grade VI, and my pieces knock around that level of difficulty and a bit higher. My six pieces for my Leaving Certificate exams are:

Retrato di Alfredo Gobbi - Piazzolla
Danza de la Moza Donosa - Ginastera
Fugue in C minor, book 1 - Bach
Consolation no. 3 - Liszt
Memphis Stomp - Dave Grusin
Sonata no. 1, mvt. 1 - Beethoven

I have played them to DEATH. The pieces I've just started with my new teacher, (a bloke of some repute here in Ireland, student of a student of Cortot) are as follows.

Polonaise in C sharp minor - Chopin
Rhapsody in G minor - Brahms
Sonata in C minor - Galles
Sonata in D flat major - Soler
Bilder Aus Osten - Schumann (transcription for two hands)
Arabeske - Schumann.

It's great to find some like minded people!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1419092 - 04/17/10 06:45 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: TheFool]
Skaught Offline

Loc: AZ, USA
Hi, I'm pretty much new...I'm Scott, and I'm 18. I started piano at age 7.5-ish. I particularly enjoy romantic era music, especially Chopin. Rachmaninoff is another favorite composer of mine. And Debussy is awesome. I'm not particularly amazing, but I'm not horrible either. Oh, I also play trombone. Which is cool. Yeah.

Edited by Skaught (04/17/10 06:46 PM)

#1419288 - 04/18/10 02:38 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Skaught]
Lunatic Offline

Originally Posted By: Skaught
Hi, I'm pretty much new...I'm Scott, and I'm 18. I started piano at age 7.5-ish. I particularly enjoy romantic era music, especially Chopin. Rachmaninoff is another favorite composer of mine. And Debussy is awesome. I'm not particularly amazing, but I'm not horrible either. Oh, I also play trombone. Which is cool. Yeah.
Welcome!
Rachmaninoff is actually my favorite composer. smile

#1420456 - 04/20/10 06:49 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Rubn Plaza Ramos Offline

Hello to all, im new of the forum, i have been searching this post to introduce myself, im from Spain, i have studied piano and obtained my degree, but actually i am not a professional pianist, i decided to study another carreer. But i love piano and play it every day,also compose piano pieces and im also studing violin.

I hope i can learn of your experience and make a good friendship.

Regards

#1421175 - 04/21/10 09:46 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: hudduk78]
PianoTouch Offline

Loc: Australia and France
Hi there,

I am Martin, and hope to contribute much on this forum.

I know that many piano players have difficulty with the 'more difficult' pieces, as they may experience a common problem, where their hands are small.

I have been working with Mr Wallace Tate, a past Director of the Music Examinations Board of Western Australia, and have produced a website that discusses the method of Professor Lionel Bowman's Playing, to overcome hand and arm injuries.

I hope to provide much advice on this problem, which has affected countless pianists.

In the meantime, I am enjoying reading all the posts and encourage you to all contribute your stories, and ideas, as this is no doubt what will make this forum so invaluable.

Martin
Simple Principles ensuring Physical Comfort at the Keyboard

Learn Piano Online, at home

#1422540 - 04/23/10 09:02 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: PianoTouch]
Scrounger Offline

Loc: France
Hello all.

I just joined today after having lurked these forums for about half a year. I'm a great lover of music and began playing the piano at a young age.

I'm picking up the piano after a long hiatus and find myself enjoying it again. I am piano-less at the moment, but hope to remedy that.

As a lover of music I hope I can contribute in my own small way to these forums.

At the moment I'm in Paris, my home city, and am enjoying exhibits and concerts related to especially Chopin's 200th birthday. What a treat!

Best regards,
The Scrounger

#1425939 - 04/28/10 01:29 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: hudduk78]
Krodasi Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hi, I'm Isabel. I started playing when I was 7, so I have been playing for 7 years (I'm 14). I lived in Canada for most of my life and got up to RCM grade 6, but in October this year my family moved to the Netherlands, and it's been really hard to get back into my old routines. I haven't had lessons for nearly a year now, as I am still looking for a good teacher, very frustrating! Any way, I hope to find one soon...

#1431022 - 05/06/10 08:43 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
darren2985 Offline

Loc: Grass Valley, CA
Hi everyone! My name is Darren and i've been playing piano since the age of 12 (i'm 25 now). I was a pretty late start compared to my cousins who played violin and cello from age 6, but i'm the only one in my family who took my music to college. I studied at Aberdeen College in Scotland and got my ALCM teaching diploma. I moved out to California with my wife and we have a daughter now and i'm looking to start taking on some students so i can feel like i'm doing something useful with my life (and by life i mean music).

since i work nights it's hard for me to meet like minded people so it's great to have such a vast online community of people to exchange decent banter with!

I'm looking to get back into more involved playing, i'd like to sit ABRSM grade 8 performance (i have a DipLCM which is roughly equivalent) and get more into ensemble performance.

On my bucket list (yes I've already started one) i want to play at least one work for piano and orchestra in public (I don't believe my late start will stop me).

Currently i'm not working on anything serious, but i'm saving up my pennies for the ABRSM grade 8 piano book.

P.S. Sorry Kreisler, i "stole" your signature a while back, when i saw it i thought it was a fantastic quote, but i'm looking for something else, i promise!

#1431036 - 05/06/10 09:04 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: ClareDeLooney]
darren2985 Offline

Loc: Grass Valley, CA
I'm sympatico on the sight-reading sharps and flats thing. i remedied it by finding a piece too advanced for me (Chopin polonaise in A major) and working and working on it. not sure if it was because the sheer amount of notes was forcing me to slow down my reading or not. My teacher was always cool with letting me work on things beyond my level and i think it really helped my reading because of my will to be able to play them.

Clair de Lune will come. it's not an easy piece to play!

Happy hunting!

#1438373 - 05/17/10 11:37 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: darren2985]
jimjones2007 Offline

Hello guys,
I am Christoph and I come from Germany.
I've actually never learned piano at a teacher, only keyboard playing.
I've only learned to play the accordion.
I self-taught myself a little piano, and I'm trying to get better.
I cannot afford a teacher. So I hope to get some advice here.
I got an e-piano at home, which cannot be compared to a real piano, but
well, better than nothing.
I think I will enjoy it here.

My favourite music style is also romantic, especially Chopin, but I also like some of Tchaikovsky, and I do like Bach (although I don't like most of Barock that much, but I like his music). I really am a beginner. But I like the music. I like writing own music as well.

Well, let's see what kind of discoveries I will make here. smile

#1438710 - 05/17/10 11:57 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
MusicLessonMatch Offline

Loc: CANADA
I am fairly new on this site! I would like to know who else is an active piano teacher in Canada looking for students?
We are putting together a list of Canadian teachers and have several parents waiting for good teachers....
I figured this was a good place to start.
MusiclessonMatch.com

#1440194 - 05/20/10 09:56 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: MusicLessonMatch]
jesseoffy Offline

Hello, just joined a couple of days ago, mainly to improve the technical side of my piano-playing.

I've played since I was three (well, that was probably only hit a key and say what name it was) and I have improved drastically. Still in high school, I feel that I can play most difficult music, though when on stage or in front of people, I get really nervous, tense, and sometimes a bit shaky.

I love anything grand, full of feeling, and minor. Mostly Romantic and Impressionistic era but Rachmaninoff, Liszt, and Tchaikovsky are my favorite composers.

Hope I can use this site to reach my full potential!

#1440387 - 05/20/10 03:45 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: hudduk78]
atila Offline

Loc: Europe
Hi, I just want to say hello to everybody participating this great forum. I have discovered it recently, and I must admit that I really enjoy reading the articles here.

#1441022 - 05/21/10 02:47 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
JaclyndeLune Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hello Fellow Pianists!

My name is Jaclyn & I am from Cleveland, Ohio. I have been playing the piano since I was 9 years old (I am 25 currently), wish I had started much earlier! I stumbled upon this forum while looking for sheet music & a new piano.

I just bought a house & can't take the one from my parents. I have always dreamed of getting a baby grand or grand piano. If anyone has suggestions they are welcome! I have played on an upright my entire life & would only play grands for recitals, so I am excited to get an upgrade for a decent deal. Are there risks in buying an old grand piano? Most that I have seen posted on estate sales or craigslist seem to be from as early as the 1920's, and I want to make a good investment.

On another note, I mainly play classical music but also enjoy contempary pieces that I can sing & play. My favorite piece and composer is Clair de Lune by Claude Debussy. I enjoy playing most of his pieces. My greatest accomplishment to date is Chopin's Fantaisie-Impromptu. Playing the piano is the greatest outlet for stress and enjoyment in my life. I recently fell in love with Ludovico Einaudi's work. I am trying to find "a fuoco" and "primavera". When I looked to digitally download "a fuoco" it said it was not available in the US. Does anyone have suggestions on where to buy these songs, or a suggestion on a good collection of his music to buy?

#1442189 - 05/23/10 03:12 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: JaclyndeLune]
jenxin Offline

Hey guys/girls.
My name's Billy.
I've started getting into piano 1.5 years ago. I am now 18 years old and have started really late.
I love the play any music that catches my attention. Classical or not.
Though I do prefer classical. smile.

#1446784 - 05/30/10 06:31 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: jenxin]
feebeeliszt Offline

Loc: London
Hi everyone! I'm now 18 and have been playing piano for more than 10 years. (actually I'm quite ashamed to tell as I'm still very rubbish as a pianist despite decades of experience...) I didn't treat it seriously until I met my favourite teacher of my lifetime last year. He is just amazing and I adore him so much. (He's actually a superb pianist himself). I probably won't get any offer from the conservatoires, but I'll just enjoy what I'm doing =)

#1446796 - 05/30/10 06:43 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: feebeeliszt]
BigIron Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Hello all. I am 33 and my name is Michael and I have been trying to learn to play the piano on and off since about September. I am in the US. I tried lessons when I was 12ish and after a year and two teachers all I could was play the "C" scale. That was my homework every night. I am trying hard to pick this stuff up, but find it difficult finding a way of learning that keeps my interest. I look forward to learning and playing for self enjoyment.

#1447198 - 05/31/10 10:10 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: BigIron]
kbub6f Offline

Loc: Mahopac, NY, USA
Hello Piano World.

My name is Ken. I studied classical piano growing up in Canada. Got my ARCT/performers in 1986. I then got distracted by "life" for 20 years. In 2007 I went to a family reunion where everybody wanted to hear me play. I realized I didn't have a single thing I could sit down and play beginning-to-end. So I started practicing again and rediscovered a deep love of the piano. Bought a grand piano in 2008 that I love and play every day.

#1451444 - 06/06/10 03:47 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: kbub6f]
GeorgeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hello,
Im 16 year old, and ive played for 11 years. Id love to become a concert pianist. I have played for some pianists: Elizabeth Allen(studied and taught at Juliard), Jill Lawson (whos teacher's teacher's teacher was Liszt, Douglas Finch and Hilary Coates both teachers at the trinity college london, met some pianists such as Murray McLachlan and Peter Donohoe.
Plus i was offered a place at Chethams School of Music in Manchester UK.
When i have time ill prob put some chopin etudes and rachmaninov.

#1451445 - 06/06/10 03:48 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: GeorgeB]
GeorgeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sorry double post.

Edited by EtudeBasher (06/06/10 04:14 PM)
Edit Reason: Double post

#1453034 - 06/08/10 11:04 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: GeorgeB]
Richter Offline

Loc: Canada
Hey everyone!

I'm Michael.

I'm currently in my third year of my bachelor's degree doing Piano Performance. I've been playing piano since I was 6 years old, so it's almost been 14 years now! I can't say I was ever really that dedicated or serious about the piano until I got to university, and my perspective on music has completely changed since then. At this point, I am aspiring to do my M.M and D.M.A at good competitive schools in the US and then teach post-secondary. I have a few schools in mind at the moment, but I am still deciding.

Other than my solo studies, I'm working as a collaborative pianist for an opera program where I live. I am also a part of a Piano/Percussion duo with one of my friends, as we are both very enthusiastic about contemporary music/chamber music. In my spare time, I play in a jazz combo, though this is an area that I'd really love to improve upon.

Current Rep:
Mozart d minor Piano Concerto
Liszt Mephisto Waltz
Prokofiev Sonata No. 2
Bach Partita No. 2
Debussy L'Isle Joyeuse
Beethoven Sonata Op. 109
Schumann Faschingsschwank aus Wien

This summer, I get to study with Richard Raymond who is a very famous Canadian pianist! Shortly after this, I will be studying intensively with Vladimir Feltsman and the world-class faculty at his summer program in New York. If you haven't heard of Feltsman, I suggest you check out his Bach or his recording of Rach 3 - it is definitely some of the most amazing piano playing I have ever heard!

#1454468 - 06/11/10 06:03 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Karen123]
Piano Balaji Offline

Hello pianists, Wanted to introduce myself. I have been learning paino for the past 5 years and am working as a software development manager. Every year I appear for a grade exam so far have completed 5 grades. Looking forward interacting more and get expert advice.

#1455004 - 06/12/10 08:16 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Piano Balaji]
Doctor Fugue Offline

Loc: Canada
Greetings to everyone in the forum.

After a time of isolation, I am looking forward to engaging once again with a music community. I hope to be inspired by your lively discussion and I will endeavour to provide an occasional personal insight.

For those interested in a brief autobiographical sketch: I am a Mason & Hamlin Artist, I have a doctoral degree in piano performance, I was briefly a piano instructor at a university, I have published essays and reviews in local magazines, I have released one recording independently, and I specialize in the music of J. S. Bach.

That all sounded rather boastful, but please understand that was not my intention. The only important fact is that I am a pianist.

#1455095 - 06/12/10 12:16 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Doctor Fugue]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Doctor Fugue
Greetings to everyone in the forum.

After a time of isolation, I am looking forward to engaging once again with a music community. I hope to be inspired by your lively discussion and I will endeavour to provide an occasional personal insight.

For those interested in a brief autobiographical sketch: I am a Mason & Hamlin Artist, I have a doctoral degree in piano performance, I was briefly a piano instructor at a university, I have published essays and reviews in local magazines, I have released one recording independently, and I specialize in the music of J. S. Bach.

That all sounded rather boastful, but please understand that was not my intention. The only important fact is that I am a pianist.

It doesn't sound boastful at all. You are who you are - and I look forward to your participation in our discussions.

Welcome !!!

#1455251 - 06/12/10 05:07 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: carey]
F R Main Offline

Loc: Auckland
Hello, my name is Frances and I'm 24 (nearly 25). I've been lurking here for a while but haven't posted anything...I had piano lessons once a week from the age of about 5 but I hated it. My passion was the descant recorder, I'd take it everywhere with me. I hated piano and didn't really want to practice. I was constantly told that "you're not really a piano person" and that I should focus on recorder. At the age of 11 I moved to a new school and was told that the recorder "was not a proper instrument" and couldn't get lessons. Without lessons I gradually stopped playing it. My piano teacher disliked me and at one point brought in another child and compared me to her. I quit that very day and never had another lesson again but didn't stop playing piano completely. Without any confidence I couldn't bring myself to finish any pieces and lost most of my ability to read sheet music. I do have a piano downstairs that I have been renting and play it sometimes. My dream is to be able to play prelude in C sharp minor by Rachmaninoff but my fear of failure means I give up too easily. My favourite composer is Schumann, could wax lyrical about him all day but no need to go into that here..;) Also like Satie, Nyman and Uematsu.

I stopped learning around grade 3 level so I suppose I'm around that level now but without the musical theory, so maybe around grade 2 or 3. Hoping to pick up my motivation here...

#1462136 - 06/24/10 01:52 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
GretchensPianos Offline

Loc: MA
http://gretchenspianos.wordpress.com/g-med/
(If you'd like to see my mug shot)

OK... I just clicked through to Kreisler's profile. Iowa City, eh? I grew up in Burlington!

I'm a pianist (oh, that was obvious) living in Amherst, MA. And since it's almost 2 a.m., I'll be back w/more info tomorrow.

Ahhhhhhhhh, there's an "edit" button for previous posts! Nice.

This is pretty much what I do:
I am a professional pianist performing solo and chamber music concerts, & accompanying for singers, instrumentalists, choruses, and opera companies. My training includes study in NY, fellowships to 3 music festivals, and a masters in the field.

I am NOT 25... learning music over the summer. Thinking about 1/2 a program of Gershwin. Also looking at Bach, Barber, and Stravinsky. I love playing Messiaen ~ performed 4/8 preludes several times last season.

Happy to be here! Looking forward to getting to know lots of fellow pianists. wow

Gretchen Saathoff

http://gretchenspianos.wordpress.com (that's my blog, which also has lots of other info ~ please visit! new post every saturday. smile )
[size:11pt][/size] [img:left]http://gretchenspianos.wordpress.com/g-med/[/img]

Edited by GretchensPianos (06/24/10 03:23 PM)
Edit Reason: even more tweaking!
http://gretchenspianos.wordpress.com ~ website, blog.
http://wp.me/PE5t8-24O ~ E-book: "Goal-oriented Practice: How to Avoid Traps and Become a Confident Performer"
about making steady progress!

#1462939 - 06/25/10 03:07 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: GretchensPianos]
Karina Abramova Offline

Loc: NYC/ Saint-Petersburg
Hello all, I'm Karina, from Russia. Excuse me if my English is poor; it's my 4th language. I've been lurking the forum consistently this week and enjoyed the threads.

I'm 20, have played piano for 17 years. I also sing and play violin. I go to conservatory in NYC for jazz and classical performance. I love all piano music, from Bach to Bill Evans to Billy Joel. I especially like Romantics and Impressionists. My favourite composers are Chopin and Rachmaninov. Besides piano I enjoy ballet and mountain biking.

That's enough from me. I look forward to good discussions and hope I can contribute something useful. =)

#1464321 - 06/28/10 12:26 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Karina Abramova]
curtislee Offline

Loc: Las Vegas
Hey! I'm 15 and have been playing piano for 7 years. My favorite composers are Rachmaninoff and Chopin. I like to listen to classical, rock, and rap.

I'm learning Chopin's nocturne F major, Rachmaninoff's prelude in G minor, and Horowitz's transcription of Stars and Stipes Forever.

#1464436 - 06/28/10 03:21 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
marilean Offline

Loc: Riga, Latvia, Europe
Hello, everyone.
My name is Sarah, I am 16 and I am from Latvia, Europe. I am studying piano for ten years in music school. I must say that I do not really understand levels and grades in USA and other countrys but now I am in 10th grade. It is second eduction level in Latvia after children music school and before Academy of Music.
Well, for someone maybe it sounds great – 10 years with piano. It is not like that. Yes, I went to music school to all lessons, theory and practice, but only 2 years ago I started to love piano. And now I can truly say that piano and music is all my life. 3hearts
When I have to go to my „normal” school (not music school), I play 4-5 hours pre day and 6-7 hours in weekend. Now it is summer and I play 7-8 hours every day and I am the most lucky person in the world.
I have played so many pieces that I do not remember all of them. But now I am learning Chopin ballades 1, 2, 3, 4, his first Skerco, Rachmaninoff Prelude op.23 no.5, Chopin prelude no.16, Scriabin Etudes op.8. no.5 and no. 5 and Bach french suite no.5. As I sad- it takes a lot of time. Chopin is my favourite composer.
I am sure that some of you is also learning these pieces – please, write me, it could be a very interesting talk. grin
And yes, English is not my language – please forgive my mistakes.
Chopin prelude no. 16
Rach prelude op.23 no.5
Bach french suite no.5
Scriabin etudes op.8 no.12 and no.5

#1465766 - 06/30/10 02:46 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: marilean]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Hello,
I like it here. You can glean so many perspectives. And you can get exposure to things you may not have realized or encountered on your own. For example, there are people who have issues with the term ‘lurker’. Who knew that? There is also someone here who is learning Mussorgsky’s Bogyatr Gate as we speak. That’s cool.

I only began playing recently. I wish that when I was younger that my mother could have afforded lessons or a piano, but we were quite poor (as far as 1980’s Americans could be poor).

I love listening to Russian composers, particularly Prokofiev, Rachmaninoff, and Mussorgsky. I don’t really like most of Schubert’s works but one particular piece of his got me in. I also like Ligeti a bit, but maybe ‘like’ is not a correct expression? It’s an experience… I know that one day I will be in love with Chopin, but I think that day will only come after I have some ability.

I went to one of the US’s military academies and flew jets for several years in the military. I left the service a few years back. I’m 35. I am a very cerebral person and love learning. My resume is a confused item with various academic thingies, mainly mathematical (like actuarial and financial thingies). I still don’t know what I want to do when I grow up so in the meantime I learn stuff. I'll begin law school in August.

My goal is to learn to play a few things and bring others and myself happiness. In my mind I see myself performing certain pieces masterfully, evoking awe and inspiring others, fulfilling myself. I also want to better understand music—that is the scientist part of me. I’d like to apply my mathematical background to be more creative and inventive on the keyboard. For example, I’d like to better understand and build on the work of David Lewin link to a Lewin text on Amazon . The branch of mathematics called ‘abstract algebra’ deals with 'groups' and 'transformations', which is very much what composers work with. There is probably a happy place on the keys where intuition and analysis play nicely.

I have doubts that I’ll ever be a musician of any talent, I think if you begin at age 34 you can’t ever be very good, but I do hope to have fun—continue to have fun—with it. And I like to prove wrong people like me that say you can’t begin at age 34 and ever be any good. cheers!

Page 12 of 26 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25 26 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Define "atmospheric" in piano music
by Pianolism
12/20/14 06:18 AM
1 Hour 2-5-1 Jazz Workout Backing Track - Slow to Fast Swing
by Nahum
12/20/14 05:36 AM
Jools Holland wow
by Shey
12/20/14 05:23 AM
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
12/20/14 01:09 AM
Trill technique question
by pianolearnerstride
12/19/14 10:19 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160008 Topics
2349720 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission