2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#459651 11/13/01 09:55 PM
C
4000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
I was taking a look at the Henle version of the Mozart Fantasy k. 397, and noticed the 4th note, a D, is not tied like it is in the other edition, but it is played as an octave. How could I verify which one is the correct (tie or not)? Also, In music where the composer put few marks of expression besides a p or f here or there, to what extent can one put in crescendos and the like without leaving from the intention? (This seems like one of those unanswerable questions that depend on taste, but there must be some limit on the freedom).

What is a good edition for the Mozart Concerti? I don't think Henle has them, so where should I look for a urtext-type quality edition? Which concerti have cadenzas written by Mozart, or do none of them have this feature? Thanks!

#459652 11/14/01 02:19 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
The Broder edition of the D Minor Fantasy, K. 397, gives the ties in parentheses for measures 1-6. In measure seven, the lowest notes are held or "finger pedalled." The editor, therefore, is of the opinion that this concept should have been applied to the opening measures, also. I would tend to use pedal for the whole passage, which obliterates any finger pedalling.

I feel the performer should add his own dynamics to Mozart's indications within "good taste." (Now, define good taste!)

For the concerti, the Schirmer editions are commonly used. Peters has several versions of most of the concerti, some labelled as "urtext" in their catalog. Many people feel the orchestral reductions are arranged better in the Peters editions than the Schirmer ones.

I'm not sure, but there may be a hard-bound "critical edition" by Henle of Mozart's works that would have the concerti as a conductor's score with full orchestra parts (this kind of edition is only found in large music libraries). If so, you could check the solo piano part of other editions against this one.

[ November 14, 2001: Message edited by: MacDuff ]

#459653 11/14/01 02:19 PM
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Several concertos do have cadenzas written for them by Mozart(I just don't happen to remember which). Some do not, and have had cadenzas written for them by such composers as Beethoven and Brahms. Be aware that some additions will insert a cadenza not written by Mozart. I believe there are bonafide Mozart cadenzas published in one volume out there somewhere. For fun why not try writing your own? wink

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
#459654 11/14/01 03:03 PM
SR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If you are near a university library try the Nueve Mozart Ausgave (NMA) I'm not sure of my spelling on this. It is a 20 or so volume set of books containing everything known to be by Mozart and some questionable compositions also. It is taken from the original manuscripts in most cases or from the earliest known hand written or published copy where the manuscript in Mozarts hand has disappeared. It is considered by Mozart scholars and the Mozarteum to be the bible.

Regards

Steve

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission