Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#461767 - 01/11/02 11:34 PM Mozart/Beethoven/Chopin/Liszt
piano_boy Offline

Loc: USA
Hi,I'm new here,I've just started learning piano for a short period.Recently I've a chance to perform in my school's open day,my teacher told me that I must play classical stuff,however I'm not very familiar with classical music,I'm looking
for you guys help,could anyone can kindly tell me that
which of the following composers & songs is technically the hardest and easiest?
1)Mozart- Piano Sonata No. 11 in A major ("Alla Turca")K.331/Piano Sonata No. 15 in C major ("Sonata semplice")K. 545
2)Beethoven-Piano Sonata No. 14 in C sharp minor ("Moonlight")Op. 27/2/Piano Sonata No. 4 in E flat major ("Grand Sonata")Op. 7
3)Cohpin-Impromptu No.4 in C-sharp minor, Op. 66(posth.)/Polonaise in A-flat major Op.53
4)Liszt-Hungarian Rhapsodies No.2/Sonata in B minor
Which two should I choose?I've just got about two months to practice,Thanks alot!!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#461768 - 01/12/02 01:43 AM Re: Mozart/Beethoven/Chopin/Liszt
yok Offline

Loc: New Zealand
The Mozart C major sonata is the easiest piece listed. The first movement of the Beethoven Op 27/2 and the third movement of the Mozart K.331 are often played on their own and are quite effective as stand alone pieces. Neither of these movements is especially difficult, although the Mozart Rondo would be the trickier of the two technically.

I would leave the Liszt B minor sonata for the moment. Good luck with your performance.

#461769 - 01/12/02 11:02 PM Re: Mozart/Beethoven/Chopin/Liszt
Aura Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I agree with yok.

The Mozart Rondo Alla Turca is often played on its own and isn't all that difficult, but the C major Mozart Sonata is definitely the easiest piece you've got listed.

You've got some pretty advanced stuff there!! How did the Liszt Hungarian Rhapsodies and the Liszt Sonata get on your Liszt... extremely difficult! \:\)

The Moonlight sonata would be OK... the first movt is often played badly. \:\( it's very beautiful. The third movt of the Moonlight is difficult, though. I'm not sure what you're used to playing... what sort of music have you played before?

The Beethoven Op 7 is difficult, as the title suggests. I don't think that would be a good choice at the moment.

Good luck \:\)

Aura

#461770 - 01/13/02 05:21 AM Re: Mozart/Beethoven/Chopin/Liszt
piano_boy Offline

Loc: USA
Oh...thanks guys,the list was given by my teacher,she said I may consider to play those
music,however is it most of Mozart's works are easy to play?

#461771 - 01/13/02 06:26 AM Re: Mozart/Beethoven/Chopin/Liszt
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
For someone who has "just started learning piano for a short period" (sic!), and who has only two months to learn before a performance, surely these are not the original versions we're talking about. I don't know of any prodigy, child or otherwise, who, "not very familiar with classical music" would be ready to tackle anything on this list with this kind of musical experience.

Feels like a strong pull on the leg, here, or - no disrespect intended - total naivete.

Regards,

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: BruceD ]

#461772 - 01/13/02 12:21 PM Re: Mozart/Beethoven/Chopin/Liszt
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
Sigh...

#461773 - 01/14/02 01:32 AM Re: Mozart/Beethoven/Chopin/Liszt
.rvaga* Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Well, you could take up the violin. It's one of the easiest instruments to play, as it only has four strings. . .

Assuming you are legit, and yes, you are naive to ask about masterpieces of the repertoire and wonder if they're "easy." -- How about Bach C major prelude No. 1 from the Well-Tempered Clavier, and Beethoven's "Fuer Elise" (probably just the A section). You would be a hit, and if you're a serious student with talent, learning these in 2 months would not be impossible. Of course, you might have to drop out of school to get enough practice time, as you would have to commit at least an hour per day.

#461774 - 01/14/02 03:30 PM Re: Mozart/Beethoven/Chopin/Liszt
Amy Offline

Loc: Upstate New York
That list was given to you by your teacher?!? No offense to her or you but she's a little crazy if those are not the simplified arrangements. And no, Mozart is not going to be easy for a beginner to learn. It is easy to play the notes in Mozart but to really play it well is difficult. Maybe you should try to find the recordings of some of those pieces that you mentioned. I think you would be quite surprised!

#461775 - 01/14/02 10:25 PM Re: Mozart/Beethoven/Chopin/Liszt
SethW Offline

So Liszt's Sonata in B is possibly going to be played in two months time at a school function ... right. No offense, but that is the funniest thing I have heard. If your teacher actually did advise that, I recommend that you get a teacher that knows what they are talking about.(I do not see how that Sonata could be simplified and retain anything of worth.)

Note: the "Moonlight Sonata" and Sonata in B are generally never used within a two-mile radius of the other when discussing program choices.

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: SethW ]

#461776 - 01/17/02 09:55 PM Re: Mozart/Beethoven/Chopin/Liszt
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Musical progress can be made very fast by a talented student, but even if one did learn the notes in a day, the real work takes a long time even for virtuosos! It would be advisible to tackle some other classical pieces that are within reach (simplified arrangments are a complete waste of time) and continue upwards to the harder pieces.

#461777 - 01/20/02 10:39 PM Re: Mozart/Beethoven/Chopin/Liszt
Niles Duncan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pasadena, CA
Huh??????? This has got to be a troll conning us here.

Well, I noticed that the Beethoven Sonata Op. 106 (Hammerklavier) wasn't on the list of recommended classical "songs". I really think it should be. It would be a great complement to the Liszt B Minor Sonata. Why not learn those two for the performance. Played together they would be an incredible knockout. All those students with their mouths hanging open. What a hit with the girls you'd be.

With a teacher like this it should be possible for someone who's only been playing the piano for a short time and doesn't know much about classical music to whip them together in about two months. I'd like to know this teacher's name and phone number so I could start studying with him/her. Since I already have a head start (playing classical music almost all my life) I bet he/she could turn me into a smoking hot virtuoso in a New York minute. Wow! I can't wait! Carnegie Hall, here I come.

Niles Duncan
Piano rebuilder, Pasadena, CA

[ January 20, 2002: Message edited by: Niles Duncan ]

#461778 - 01/20/02 11:22 PM Re: Mozart/Beethoven/Chopin/Liszt
Kurwenal Offline

Loc: New York
Stay away from bith Liszt pieces. The Hungarian Rhapsody is technically very demanding, and the Sonata in B minor is said to be among the most difficult solo piano pieces in the regular repertoire.

Opus 7 is quite difficult also. It's long (it's the second longest Beethoven sonata at 32 minutes) and quite technically difficult; consequently, this would take a very long time to learn.

Opus 53 Polonaise is also technically difficult. It requires a lot of endurance and I hear the middle section is tough to pull off correctly.

#461779 - 01/21/02 01:27 PM Re: Mozart/Beethoven/Chopin/Liszt
ryan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
I have had potential students who wanted me to show them the "tricks" to playing difficult music (e.g. Tchaikovky's First Piano Concerto, etc.) and skip all of that "boring basic stuff." Previously I have had to disapoint these people, but now maybe I can point them to this teacher. Or even better, perhaps they have a video set, "How to Become a Concert Pianist in 8 Easy Lessons" - it would be a godsend to teachers...

(Tongue firmly in cheek...)

Ryan

#461780 - 01/21/02 02:08 PM Re: Mozart/Beethoven/Chopin/Liszt
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Since we've heard el-zippo from Piano_Boy on "his" topic, my guess is this is a joke. OK, ha ha ha. Now back to real life.

Nina

:rolleyes:

#461781 - 01/21/02 03:48 PM Re: Mozart/Beethoven/Chopin/Liszt
MacDuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast, U.S.A.
My elementary school had an Honors Day for those "graduating" to middle school. Every year kids were chosen to play the processional and recessional. One year a guy did the Tchaikovsky Concerto (calm down, it was an arrangement of the opening theme and chunky chords, and he used the score--didn't play from memory). I got to play the first movement of Clementi's sonatina in C Major, Op. 36, no. 3 and Gillock's "Fountain in the Rain" (from memory, thank you).

It was hilarious the time a girl played Chopin's Prelude in C Minor, Op. 28, No. 21 as a processional. Everybody said it sounded like the class was marching in to be executed!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
For Sale : True Keys Pianos (bundle) American,Italian,Ger
man

by imyself
09/16/14 05:51 PM
Dream Keys Complete - Your Opinion Please
by Vas
09/16/14 04:56 PM
First tuning my piano with TuneLab
by Pablo Arturi
09/16/14 04:03 PM
Getting back into it
by Upside
09/16/14 03:32 PM
In search of my piano name Brand
by Leoni
09/16/14 03:05 PM
Who's Online
147 registered (36251, 255, accordeur, ajames, alans, 45 invisible), 1478 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157568 Topics
2314427 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission