2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C
There are critical reports in the back of some of my Henle books, (Chopin Polonaises specifically) but they are in German! It is hard to translate it using a dictionary or an online translator because it does not come out right, I think you need a grasp of the language. They don't make these in English yet, so does anyone know where I can get a translated version or can anybody translate it? I really want to know what it says, since it is important to be aware of changes in the score.
Also, what is the Study score (Henle)? What is in it that differs from a regular score? I heard there are composer's manuscripts and the like owned by private individuals, how much do these usually go for?

R
R
i'm pretty sure the only difference in a study score is that it's smaller, to make it easier to carry around.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. - Hector Berlioz
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
"Pocket scores" used to be common. People would carry them to recitals and concerts and follow along with the performance.

The prefaces and critical notes in the Vienna Urtext editions are in German and English, by the way. I'm not sure why German nationalism extends to no English critical notes in the Henle editions!

I remember just enough high school and college French to barely amble through musical texts in scores or record jackets. Maybe German would have been more useful for music?
frown

[ December 01, 2001: Message edited by: MacDuff ]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Depending on how long the text is, and your typing skills, you can try one of the on-line translation services.

However please prepare yourself: they are NOT very good, but will definitely get you into the ballpark. Try the Alta Vista babelfish site:

Babelfish translation site

This can also be entertaining... try translating some idiomatic phrase from English to another language, then back again.

"Is too much full Liszt of being itself a serious type-setter? Perhaps Chopin is the musician better. "

This came via French and Italian from: "Is Liszt too full of himself to be considered a serious composer? Perhaps Chopin is the better musician." wink

Good luck
Nina

C
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C
Nina, when I read the translated phrase concerning Liszt, I knew something was wrong right away- not the sentence structure, but that fact that Chopin was a better musician than Liszt, which is ludicrous! I rather be bedazzled by Liszt then have to liszten to salon music! Humor aside, (I like Chopin as much as the next guy) those translators are unreliable, it looks like I need a good German dictionary or a good German buddy who can do it for me! wink

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: CrashTest ]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I understand the translation problem; after all, a lot of the earlier Chemistry literature is in German, and I'm at a loss because I studied French and Russian in college. I know, I should have done German. When I have to translate German papers to English, I have access to a German-English dictionary for Chemists. Couple that with a basic understanding of German sentence structure and I'm able to wade through a German chemistry paper. Perhaps there exists a similar German-English dictionary for musical terms?

Regards,
Lyn F.
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by CrashTest:
it looks like I need a good German dictionary or a good German buddy who can do it for me! wink

I speak fluent German.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission