2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
G
Tango from Argentina, specially Astor Piazzolla! laugh

I also love jazz. You can hear very nice songs with the Jazz piano program (midi files). Then you can edit the score and take a look at the score(not very clear, but...).
Regards.

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Don't forget the Disney collections, and the Reader's Digest books! smile

Sincerely,
Eldon
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
As long as there are people in here with fake book information, perhaps one of you could help me. I have several good, but old, fake books. Two of them are missing the covers and Table Of Contents (aaauuugghhh, ala Charlie Brown). I've emailed descriptions to Hal Leonard and Warner Bros. both, but they can't help me find the index to these circa 1985 books.

"The Greatest Legal Fake Book of all time." VF1129 The title & identification number are in Blue letters on the white plastic spine of this 650+ page book.

The second book is even LESS identifiable, as it has a black plastic spine with NO letters at all and its first page is numbered 18. I'm kidding about this one, I know its hopeless except to leaf through it and harvest all the titles, but maybe maybe someone will recognize the first one and take pity on me? Oh I feel SO hopeful!! I'd be glad to send the 15cents copying fee for the 10 or 20 index pages.........I could use PayPal to send the resultant $2 or $3.

As for favorite songs, When Sunny Gets Blue has been a favorite of mine for a long time. Carlos Jobim's songs appeal to me a lot too. Gershwin, Ellington, and Porter all have beautiful and intriguing chord changes. Errol Garner's Misty.....I know, I know, every dufus with more than 6 fingers total tries to play this and inevitable hammers it into the mud, but I play it anyway.
A good book with notated arrangements (as well as the chords) is "The Best Jazz Standards Ever" published by Hal Leonard, 2nd edition. 75 songs or so, many of them mentioned earlier on this forum.
Bob

T
T
Leroy Andersons forgotton dreams, a favourite of mine, most of Burt Bacharachs music from the 60s
and how about the Beatles.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Clearing away one of my boxes has produced a treasure trove of music I had forgotten about. Theme from Ice Castles, Misty, Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head, Music Box Dancer ... wowee, what memories!

Okay, so I'm feeling a little nostalgic. Going through stuff I've packed away years ago always does that to me. smile

Regards,
Lyn F.
M
M
Chemical Girl, You posted:

Clearing away one of my boxes has produced a treasure trove of music I had forgotten about. Theme from Ice Castles, Misty, Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head, Music Box Dancer ..!

I think alot of Burt Bacharach music is great for the piano. The melodies are infectious and the changes are original with room to improvise. I do my own version of "Say A Little Prayer for Me" (I think that is the name of it). I totally forgot about that song until I saw My Best Friends Wedding where it was featured - so I learned it then. It is very fun to play and people always recognize it.

A
A
Mike-

Just so you know, it's "I Say a Little Prayer for You." That's my favorite part of that movie! The guy with the lobster handmits cracks me up every time!! smile

Aaron (PianistforJesus@aol.com)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
This reminds me...a few years ago I was listening to a CD of Jean Redpath singing some Scottish Ballades. One was particularly beautiful but the words were difficult to make out. I looked up the words and the song was about a young woman who fell in love with a musician but her family wished her to marry a man of noble birth. Her mind made up to wed for love, her brother beat her to death... Wonderful melody though...

Ken

RKVS1,

I know this probably doesn't help you much, but the stock number you listed for the first book (VF1129) is a Warner Brothers number. I checked with them, but there is no current listing for either the title or the stock number. You may want to try to contact them directly to see if they have any additional information about that title. I'm afraid that finding the 2nd book is pretty much hopeless (apart from lugging the book up to your local music dealer to compare it side by side with other fakebooks!).

Good luck,
April

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Just a few of my favorites:

Somewhere In Time (already mentioned)
Watermark (Enya)
Love Theme from St. Elmo's Fire
Love Story
Since I Fell For You
Save The Best For Last (Vanessa Williams)
To Love You More (Celine Dion)
My Funny Valentine
As Time Goes By
Misty (already mentioned)
Masquerade (George Benson)
Arthur's Theme
Autumn Leaves
The Summer of '42
An Affair to Remember
The Rainbow Connection
Alfie (What's it all about...)
This Guy's In Love With You
The More I See You
Something Wonderful
Don't Cry For Me Argentina
New York State of Mind
Classical Gas
Desperado
Fire and Rain
Imagine
Can You Read My Mind (from Superman)

These are tried and true crowd pleasers and sound great on the piano. These also happen to be some of my best arrangements. I'm probably one of the few on the forum who doesn't play classical. Although I can read music, I play by ear.

Derick

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
Dan Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Someone mentioned Linus & Lucy above, but don't forget all the other great music by Vince Guaraldi. "Cast Your Fate to the Wind", "The Masked Marvel", "The Skating Song" and loads of additional pieces all make for fun playing and listening. I recently purchased "The Vince Guaraldi Collection" from Sheetmusicplus. It contains 9 transcriptions of his work including L & L and CYF to the Wind. There are lots of simplified versions as mentioned earlier, but I figure its worth the extra time to learn pieces as they were originally written.

Have fun!

Dan

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission