Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#466895 - 12/07/07 04:30 PM German composer Stockhausen
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
died...

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2007/12/07/1148654-composer-karlheinz-stockhausen-is-dead

i only heard his name, but know very little about him... vaguely i remember i saw Pollini playing his music on youtube once (or maybe not his?).

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#466896 - 12/07/07 04:37 PM Re: German composer Stockhausen
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
If by "died" you mean "returned home to Sirius."

Bon Voyage. One of the most influential and imaginative composers of the 20th century.

#466897 - 12/07/07 04:45 PM Re: German composer Stockhausen
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
I don't agree with everything he did, but this is still news that gives me pause.
I hope he managed to finish Licht.
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

#466898 - 12/07/07 04:54 PM Re: German composer Stockhausen
mrenaud Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
He did (there's never been a complete performance though, for obvious reasons). After that, he started a cycle of chamber music based on the twelve hours of the day, but that one he didn't finish, I think.

#466899 - 12/07/07 09:15 PM Re: German composer Stockhausen
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Too bad. While I didn't love his music, he was definitely influential. I remember studying his Gruppen in my composition classes in college... Too bad...

#466900 - 12/07/07 09:45 PM Re: German composer Stockhausen
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Hard to believe. One of my favourite books:
Stockhausen Serves Imperialism

#466901 - 12/08/07 08:18 AM Re: German composer Stockhausen
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
From the Daily Telegraph obituary

In the mid-1970s Stockhausen directed all his creative energies to his cycle of operas, Licht: die sieben Tage der Woche (Light: the Seven Days of the Week), composed, like Wagner's operas, to his own librettos... which some, even among his admirers, regarded as an act of gigantic egomania [and] has not established itself in any opera house's repertory. Nor, since the heyday of the 1960s, has most of Stockhausen's music. It has its fanatical advocates still who regard him as a visionary pathfinder, but most of the next generation of composers looked to Boulez before Stockhausen or to Ligeti before both. As for the mass of the general public, when not repelled, it remained baffled, convinced that this was not music and suspecting that the man was a charlatan or an opportunist playing a vast hoax on the whole world of music.

Personally, I don't think Thomas Beecham's comment[1] was too far from the truth...

-Michael B.
[1] When asked if he had heard any Stockhausen, he replied, "No, but I think I've trodden in some."
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

#466902 - 12/08/07 08:43 AM Re: German composer Stockhausen
kcoul058 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UBC, Vancouver, Canada
I think I heard in some cases what he was going for, and those few times he was successful. Other times, it feels like he is trying to get to a place but something is preventing the music from getting to it. My composition professor talked with Stockhausen a fair bit in the 70s and it was pretty clear that Stockhausen had to get the ego out of his music.

I think he wanted to but couldn't, maybe he was too predisposed to a certain cultural standard to break that barrier.

He still made wonderfully insightful advanced in musical philosophy, guiding electronic music instrument manufacturers, and supporting pioneering sites like WDR Cologne.

So I think the same thing on him we can think about quite a few pioneering composers mostly of the mid-20th century before things got established enough - we owe more to them for their non-musical output than their music. Certainly one could argue this to be the case for composers like Boulez (although some very admirable works, his establishment of IRCAM and everything that came out of it is an even greater accomplishment) and the Canadian Hugh Lecaine (writing the breakthrough "Dripsody" was a considerable achievement, but designing the first analog synthesizer and multi-track tape recorder, and then influencing Don Buchla to then go on to influence Bob Moog to form Moog synthesizers, would be considered by most as his ultimate contributions).

In the case of Lecaine, who seemed to be more of a engineer than a composer, we have the crossing from sciences into arts, a brave step and perfect timing for scientists in the 50s. But for Stockhausen and Boulez, to set aside their probably desire to be even more prolific than they were and step into the sciences to help increase the palette of art so much more (although it did take awhile for us to get to know what to *really* do with all these new techniques), is very commendable.

I hope people can see this other side of people like Stockhausen's work and see their greatest contribution to the world.

It's hard to imagine now, but the vast majority of sound we hear nowadays in synthesized or sampled. You can really trace it all back to those first sine wave generators in Cologne and the first single-track tape recorders at the Paris radio station being used by Pierre Schaeffer, Stockhausen and others.

We could have just as easily deemed electronics completely unsuitable for producing sound in that early vulnerable stage without composers that stepped in and made sure to see electronic music through its most vulnerable stage of development.

#466903 - 12/08/07 12:26 PM Re: German composer Stockhausen
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
 Quote:
Originally posted by PoStTeNeBrAsLuX:
Personally, I don't think Thomas Beecham's comment[1] was too far from the truth...

[1] When asked if he had heard any Stockhausen, he replied, "No, but I think I've trodden in some."
That closely matches an amusing comment made by my father when I was a lad listening to a Stockhausen recording. \:D My father had very simple taste in music, and I still remember that moment with fondness.

#466904 - 12/08/07 12:59 PM Re: German composer Stockhausen
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

wb:
My father had very simple taste in music,

Unlike Sir Thomas, or indeed many others with quite educated, wide-ranging, catholic and eclectic tastes in music, who still found Herr S's sonic efforts to be quite unbearable and too far removed from 'music' and too close to mere 'noise.' Personally I have listened to quite a lot of Stockhausen's (and other similar style) works inthe past, but soon came to the conclusion that life is too short to waste on such tedious things. YMMV, obviously \:\)

-Michael B.
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

#466905 - 12/08/07 01:49 PM Re: German composer Stockhausen
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Originally posted by PoStTeNeBrAsLuX:
Personally I have listened to quite a lot of Stockhausen's works in the past, but soon came to the conclusion that life is too short to waste on such tedious things.
LOL, Michael, that's how I feel about James Joyce!

Ahem... IMHO of course.

#466906 - 12/08/07 03:21 PM Re: German composer Stockhausen
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
"The aunt thinks you killed your mother. That's why she won't let me have anything to do with you."

"Someone killed her..."

"You could have knelt down, damn it, when your dying mother asked you. I'm hyperborean as much as you. But to think of your mother begging you with her last breath to kneel down and pray for her. And you refused. There is something sinister in you..."
What ever people say about Joyce, he did occasionally write some amusing stuff. This made his subsequent descent into multilingual pun madness all the more tragic. For all I know, Stockhausen was completely lost from the beginning.

#466907 - 12/08/07 03:25 PM Re: German composer Stockhausen
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Antonius Hamus:
"The aunt thinks you killed your mother. That's why she won't let me have anything to do with you."

Ah... Ulysses!

#466908 - 12/08/07 03:33 PM Re: German composer Stockhausen
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
something interesting he said himself about music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIPVc2Jvd0w

#466909 - 12/08/07 04:03 PM Re: German composer Stockhausen
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Jason:
Ah... Ulysses![/b]

Which most intelligent spell-checkers seem to want to correct to Useless ;\)

Michael B.

#466910 - 12/08/07 07:25 PM Re: German composer Stockhausen
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Back to Stockhausen, I went to a lecture he gave here in the late 60s when I was a student. It was actually very interesting, as I recall. A piece I really liked of his was Gesang der Jünglinge.

#466911 - 12/09/07 12:55 PM Re: German composer Stockhausen
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
The same day, composer Andrew Imbrie died as well. I was more familiar with Imbrie's music, as he taught at Berkeley and it was played often there.

Unfortunately, a lot of academic composers write music which is extremely forgettable. At best, their students may become more successful. Sometimes it skips a generation: Dvorak taught some forgettable composers, who, in turn, taught composers like Copland and Ellington.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
128 registered (A Guy, aesop, 36251, 40 invisible), 1636 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156340 Topics
2296186 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do someone have a Sciortino Insta-COILER
by Olek
08/01/14 06:55 PM
Buying used piano for school district - need advice/cautions
by ChoralScholar
08/01/14 05:34 PM
Help with a leg!
by igirl
08/01/14 04:53 PM
Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why?
by alans
08/01/14 04:02 PM
Is an old Fischer piano valuable
by BenC5
08/01/14 03:58 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission