Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#468148 - 12/04/08 08:09 PM Re: The Fine Art of Page Turning
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
Hmm .. pianists in a Pianists' forum making fun of page turners. How typical!

I rather not think about what I will read if I passed by a Page turners' forum!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#468149 - 12/05/08 12:05 PM Re: The Fine Art of Page Turning
jtattoo Offline

Loc: Austin TX
My one and only act of page turning was the most frightening moment ever on a stage. At every state dinner at the White House, there is a programed recital of about 20-30 minutes after the dinner by a well known artist. During my tenure there Beverly Sills was asked to sing one of those programs. She had performed with an orchestra that I played with and we had done an encore together (voice and harp). When she arrived for the dinner, she recognized me. Just as I finished my job that evening, the head usher came downstairs to where I was putting the harp away and asked if I would turn pages for Charles Wadsworth for the recital. As in RIGHT NOW! I mumbled of course and went upstairs to the East Room. I literally was shaking but managed. At the end, Mr. Wadsworth realized how scared I had been and apologized for putting me on the spot. To my surprise, a week later I received a beautiful signed picture of the President and Mrs. Ford with Beverly Sills and Charles Wadsworth in front of the piano. And in the background, you can see my small very pale face. What a night!

#468150 - 12/05/08 12:44 PM Re: The Fine Art of Page Turning
Stanza Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
The perils of paper! Hugh, you forgot paper cuts with blood all over the keys and ink poisoning! Great stuff.... \:D
Estonia L190 #7004
Casio PX 310
Yamaha NP 30

#468151 - 12/05/08 01:14 PM Re: The Fine Art of Page Turning
Schubertian Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX, US
Much as I would like to believe that the quote at the head of the post is real - I find I cannot. The 'Klutz Competition' and the 'Alfred Hitchcock Chair' are what finally spoiled it for me. Nice try anyway.

#468152 - 12/05/08 01:27 PM Re: The Fine Art of Page Turning
Bachrocks Offline

Loc: New England
Shoot . . . now I have Bob Seger's song in my head.

#468153 - 12/05/08 02:34 PM Re: The Fine Art of Page Turning
Hugh Sung Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Stanza:
The perils of paper! Hugh, you forgot paper cuts with blood all over the keys and ink poisoning! Great stuff.... \:D [/b]
Oh my goodness! Your post brought back memories of when i was practicing as a young student in one of the basement rooms at Curtis - i was swiping a page turn really fast, then felt a stab of pain on my finger before seeing the page gush with blood - apparently, i had sliced my finger on one of the book's STAPLES!!
Maybe i should rename my video "The Perils of Paper, Staples, Sharp pointy pencils, and other hazards of music made from deforestation"!!

Haven't experienced the ink poisoning yet... ;\)

#468154 - 12/14/08 09:47 AM Re: The Fine Art of Page Turning
musiclady Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I am regularly asked to turn pages for concerts and services, and yes, there is an art to it. I've trained a few students in the art too, and written some notes on how to turn pages, do's and don'ts.

Meri

#468155 - 12/14/08 10:38 AM Re: The Fine Art of Page Turning
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
 Quote:
Originally posted by musiclady:
I am regularly asked to turn pages for concerts and services, and yes, there is an art to it. I've trained a few students in the art too, and written some notes on how to turn pages, do's and don'ts.

Meri [/b]
I am sure I have recounted this before on this forum, but one of the most annoying page-turners I ever saw was a young man, evidently untrained the the fine art of page-turning. Sitting in the appropriate place to the left of the pianist, he used his right hand to turn the page and he turned it from the bottom of the page rather than from the top, thus putting his arm in the sight line of the pianist and his elbow in her face every time he "graciously" turned the page for her.

Given that he played the piano himself, a little thought and/or common sense would not have been inappropriate.

Regards,

#468156 - 12/14/08 11:14 AM Re: The Fine Art of Page Turning
Psychic Ravel Offline

lol, my favorite part was actually "has a nice house on a lake".

#468157 - 12/14/08 12:08 PM Re: The Fine Art of Page Turning
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

There are no worse sins in the elite Page Turning Community than to turn two pages at once. Such acts could get you imprisoned in the mid to late 1800s. What do you think happened between Schumann and his wife?

Matt

#468158 - 12/14/08 12:56 PM Re: The Fine Art of Page Turning
wdot Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Debussy20:
There are no worse sins in the elite Page Turning Community than to turn two pages at once. Such acts could get you imprisoned in the mid to late 1800s. What do you think happened between Schumann and his wife?

Matt [/b]
No doubt. I've posted the story before, but a fellow once did that to me when I was accompanying a choir in performance. The problem was that the wrong page started exactly like the proper page, so neither of us was aware of the problem for around 3 measures, when the choir went one way and I went another way. It got a little bit ugly at that point.

#468159 - 12/14/08 04:33 PM Re: The Fine Art of Page Turning
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
I have seen "The Page Turner," and yes, she was a particularly nasty little thing.

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#468160 - 12/14/08 07:03 PM Re: The Fine Art of Page Turning
Eric Gloo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York
This past spring, as I was accompanying a choir during a concert, I set an extra copy of the first page of the song I was playing next to the regular music, so I wouldn't have an awkward page turn. I did not have a page turner. We started the song and everything was going well. When I got to page 3, the extra copy fell to the ground.

The auditorium we were in was not very large, and the piano and bench were very close to the seats. One of the concert-goers, trying to help, tried to put the first page back up so I could see it. I quickly turned and smiled, and continued to play on. The page fell to the ground a second time. The same person tried to help again, this time placing the extra page on top of the music I was playing. I quickly grabbed the extra sheet and moved it to the side, but it fell to the floor again.

At this point, the choir director, who was standing next to the piano, leaned back and told the helpful person that it was OK to leave the page on the floor.

...and we never skipped a beat!
Richfield Springs, New York

#468161 - 12/14/08 09:45 PM Re: The Fine Art of Page Turning
raidenciv Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
 Quote:
Originally posted by BruceD:
I am sure I have recounted this before on this forum, but one of the most annoying page-turners I ever saw was a young man...[/b]
Yep, on the first page of this thread :p
But it is a good story and worth another post. You added more details this time too.

#468162 - 12/15/08 10:09 AM Re: The Fine Art of Page Turning
Wood-demon Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
 Quote:
Originally posted by bkkmd:
Well, there are plenty of threads about pianist and piano related movies. How about one about page turner? One that come to mind of course has to be what else but "The Page Turner"? Anyone else saw this movie? My friend said that only the French could have come up with something like this! \:\) [/b]
Is this the same film as "Food of Love" which, according to the blurb on the dvd box is based on "The Page Turner" by David Leavitt?

I wonder what any native Americans who might have seen the film think of the accents of the Brit. actors in it....convincing or not?

#468163 - 12/15/08 11:01 AM Re: The Fine Art of Page Turning
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
 Quote:
Originally posted by raidenciv:
 Quote:
Originally posted by BruceD:
I am sure I have recounted this before on this forum, but one of the most annoying page-turners I ever saw was a young man...[/b]
Yep, on the first page of this thread :p
But it is a good story and worth another post. You added more details this time too. [/b]
Well, duplication sometimes happens when a post is resurrected from a (somewhat) distant past. Sorry for the repetition.

Regards,

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (36251, accordeur, Abby Pianoman, Alexander Borro, 50 invisible), 1407 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157249 Topics
2309618 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Aebersold Play-Alongs
by EP
09/02/14 06:39 PM
Plan on playing this Thursday night
by Visalia
09/02/14 06:16 PM
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
09/02/14 04:50 PM
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
09/02/14 04:24 PM
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
09/02/14 03:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission