Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
109 registered (Abby Pianoman, acoxcae, AnimistFvR, AndyP, anamnesis, 35 invisible), 1575 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#468280 - 11/14/07 10:39 AM My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48
TheMadMan86 Offline

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
Here is my video of me playing the C minor nocturne by Chopin. I apologize for the mistakes, my dog kept running in and out. I eventually gave up. If the reactions are good, I will re record this on a better piano, a grand I hope. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxwPB2RSIJI

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#468281 - 11/14/07 10:42 AM Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
I'm looking forward to seeing your video but... where's the link? \:\)

In the meantime, have you seen this thread?

#468282 - 11/14/07 10:47 AM Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48
TheMadMan86 Offline

Edited my post link is there sorry about that. Thanks for the link. I am no adult beginner, but im sure there are things I can learn from the post. I learned the Nocturne in a Month when I was 17, I am 21 in the video. It my favorite piece, and I try to keep it in my recital programs even when im busy with many other pieces.

#468283 - 11/14/07 12:37 PM Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48
Max W Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: RHUL
You're very assertive with your interpretation, good job.

#468284 - 11/14/07 01:01 PM Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48
L'echange Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Romney WV
I haven't listened to this piece for a long while, and I really enjoyed it! Thanks for getting me back into it... it's so beautiful. I think you have a very nice pace and feeling, and for the piano and recording quality, I was suprised with your sound.

Good Job!

-Albert Camus,

Jim

#468285 - 11/14/07 03:44 PM Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48
Robert Kenessy Offline

Loc: Enebyberg Sweden
Great, I especially liked the agitato/doppio movimento where I love the balance between the melody and the restless hammering (If you allow me this rather Bartókian

If I may say what I would play differently, it is the first section, where I would refrain from any rubato. It is a funeral march after all, and you can't march (and bear a casket) to a wiggly rhythm.

.. it seems to me that the inherent nature [of the piano tone] becomes really expressive only by means of the present tendency to use the piano as a percussion instrument - Béla Bartók, early 1927.

#468286 - 11/14/07 07:58 PM Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
 Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Kenessey:
If I may say what I would play differently, it is the first section, where I would refrain from any rubato. It is a funeral march after all, and you can't march (and bear a casket) to a wiggly rhythm. [/b]
I have never thought of the opening section of this Nocturne as a funeral march, for me the melody is too much in the lyrical bel canto style with its wide-spread and embellished theme to lend itself - definitevly - to being considered a funeral march. I have never seen it refered to as such in anything I have read about this Nocturne.

That is not to say that one shouldn't consider it as a funeral march if that is how one sees it, but I certainly don't see it as such.

If there is anything march-like at all in this Nocturne, surely it's the second section, the first 14 measures of the poco più lento the C major section.

Regards,

#468287 - 11/14/07 08:06 PM Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Wow Jeffrey, that was excellent!

#468288 - 11/15/07 07:03 AM Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48
Robert Kenessy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BruceD:
I have never thought of the opening section of this Nocturne as a funeral march, for me the melody is too much in the lyrical bel canto style with its wide-spread and embellished theme to lend itself - definitevly - to being considered a funeral march. I have never seen it refered to as such in anything I have read about this Nocturne.

That is not to say that one shouldn't consider it as a funeral march if that is how one sees it, but I certainly don't see it as such.

If there is anything march-like at all in this Nocturne, surely it's the second section, the first 14 measures of the poco più lento the C major section.

Regards, [/b]
Interesting comment. To put my view clearer: I view the first section as a duet of a (funeral) march and a bel canto melody on top. Chopin wrote quite some funeral march-type sections and pieces, e.g. the fantasie op 49. His favortie Beethoven Sonata was one with a funeral march in it. One reference to this nocturne's start as a funeral march is by Angela Lear.

I think the più lento section is rather a chorale.

.. it seems to me that the inherent nature [of the piano tone] becomes really expressive only by means of the present tendency to use the piano as a percussion instrument - Béla Bartók, early 1927.

#468289 - 11/16/07 10:03 AM Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48
TheMadMan86 Offline

Thanks for the comments. The first section is a bel canto, tugging the other voices along. Second section definitely a chorale. while the third allows me to just go all out.

#468290 - 11/16/07 10:18 AM Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48
Robert Kenessy Offline

OK, I agree the main feature of the first section is the Bel canto melody. But is there a chance you might be willing to consider, if only for a second, that the LH accompaniment of this section is 'march-like'?

LH accompaniments come in different forms: chords, arpeggated chords, waltz-type broken chords, alberti basses , scalar runs (Revolutionary étude, and later sections in the fourth ballade). Could the LH accompaniment of the start of this Nocturne be 'march-like'? I think yes.
Play the section without the RH melody and give the thought a chance.

#468291 - 11/16/07 10:29 AM Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48
TheMadMan86 Offline

For me its a preference thing. When I first learned the piece about 2-3 years ago. I considered a march like feel. I did not like it when I played it. Not saying it was wrong, saying it was wrong for me. For me the piece is building, the pui lento is more intense then first section.

#468292 - 11/16/07 11:17 AM Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
I agree with Robert on the march-like LH in the first section. It feels like stepping with left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot, etc.

#468293 - 11/17/07 03:53 AM Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48
TheMadMan86 Offline

I can definitely see where your coming from with the march idea, but for me it just does not really fit the feel of a nocturne. Now I know there are things written on Chopin that says the left had is very steady and the right hand flowed in and out of that. But I am not Chopin. Not to say Chopin did not know what he was doing. My interpretation of this nocturne does not involve a march. A nocturne does not even register a march for me.

I am just defending my own interpretation. I do not mean to say anyone is wrong, because I have learned there are so many different interpretations. What works for me will not work for others. For me this piece is about sensuality. I would not march in that setting. I let things happen naturally.

#468294 - 11/17/07 03:14 PM Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
This is a very nice rendition. I also liked how you played the agitato part.

These large chords towards the end look very difficult. And I thought of playing this one time myself

#468295 - 11/17/07 03:39 PM Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
 Quote:
Originally posted by Celt:
I'm looking forward to seeing your video but... where's the link? \:\)

In the meantime, have you seen this thread? [/b]
I've seen your video and your effort is very commendable, if I may say so , as someone who's struggling to learn this masterpiece \:\)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Please help me to find out the pattern of this Cdim7
by SZ54
11/28/14 08:12 PM
3 sensors per key vs 4?
by AnimistFvR
11/28/14 07:55 PM
Request For The Pursuit Of Knowledge
by Louis Podesta
11/28/14 07:09 PM
Kawai K500 or Seiler ED126
by Mizar
11/28/14 07:03 PM
3 sensors per key vs 4?
by AnimistFvR
11/28/14 06:58 PM
Forum Stats
77083 Members
42 Forums
159431 Topics
2341989 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission