2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I played piano for about a year before I discovered classical music.

I watched a video of Berezovsky playing Liszt's Mazeppa, and a few months later, I listened to nothing but classical, and the bit of popular music that's musically intereting.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
E
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I started when I was 5, so I don't really remember before that, but as far as I can remember I always was in love with classical music.
Since little, listening not only piano pieces, but symphonies and ballets! smile

Akira Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
What're you interested in learning akira?
Honestly, I prefer pop, ballads, romantic and sad songs. I'm only beginning my music journey and only yesterday decided on a teacher (my first lesson is tomorrow).

As I was growing up (as a young boy), my dad listened to nothing but classical. I never developed an interest in it. In my later teen years, like most young people, I gravitated toward what I heard on the radio and what everbody else was listening to. Back then, I can't say I can ever recall a young person listening to classical on the radio - at least in my circle of friends.

I just found it very curious why most piano players (at least at this forum) gravitate toward classical and was wondering if most 'grew' into it because of how they were trained on the piano, or if they just liked it for other reasons.

Honestly, I love anything played on the piano and in my later adult life finally opened my mind to all different types of music, I heard some very beautiful classical pieces played on the piano. I can certainly understand the comment about the previous poster who said that the way it is written is more complex and has greater depth that its other musical genre counterparts.

I guess we all like what we like.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My late start was due only to the fact that I LOVED classical music. It sounds cliche, but I heard moonlight once on the radio and asked my mother for a piano. With my grandmothers will money, I got a piano to feed my classical addiction. So yes, I loved Beethoven, Bach, and Chopin (All Id heard) before I touched a piano or studied music. It wasn't my 'favorite' though. I never drew a definite line between classical music and all other kinds of music anyways.

"Beauty is unbearable, drives us to despair, offering us for a minute the glimpse of an eternity that we should like to stretch out over the whole of time."

-Albert Camus,

Jim
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
My mom started teaching me how to sing as soon as I could pronouce the simplest words befor I was 1...so I already loved music from that point.

I only like classical and church music.

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
V
V
It came to me with maturity - and I still do not like everything in classical, probably never will.
But as far as I remember, the Pinkfloyd "Money" is the first piece I have listened and listened and listened again and again ....
It did not affect my ability to be moved and deeply touched by Chopin's Ballades, valses and preludes as well as so many others.
In the mean time, AC/DC is great!

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I've always loved classical, from as far back as I can remember. My mother was (is) also a lover of classical music so I grew up listening to it, long before I started studying piano.

Although I also love other kinds of music, my record & CD collection has consistently had a ratio of about 80% classical to 20% everything else. For the last 3-4 years my listening has been almost exclusively classical. There's such a wealth of classical music that there are a number of directions that can be pursued i.e., you can explore one composer/instrument/artist/era in depth or choose from a wide range of each.

I've been listening to classical music for almost 50 years and feel I've only scratched the surface.

Greg
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I took lessons from age 6 to 16 in classical music, but really didn't care nor had any appreciation for it.

Now 30 years later, I started to play again just last month. In the interim, I wasn't a classical music listener, although I have always liked Chopin. I tend to like Broadway tunes, Carpenters, John Denver. Now that I am playing again, I find that I enjoy playing classical because of the complexities and intricacies of the composition. Strangely, I don't tend to play the things I like listening to (Broadway, Carpenters, etc) because the piano arrangements for those pieces are just too plain.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ah yes. I didn't like classical music much, not even the sound of the piano or violon.
I began playing classical guitar about 5 years ago then went and bought a violon that I played for about 6 months then I went and bought a Clavinova about 3 yrs ago. During all that time I learnt mostly classical pieces. This process of playing different instruments and looking up the forums opened the door to so much beautiful music from so many composers. I remember awhile back when I couldn't stand listening to Chopin etc...But now I think I listen to the music in a different way since I've played some of the instruments. When I think now how mush I enjoy listening to the Scriabin Preludes ! That would not have been easy listening awhile back smile
I really enjoy listening to chamber music now. The sound of a piano, violon and cello is so powerful and beautiful.

Peter

Ok..Ok... If you don't want your Steinway give it to me !!!!
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Before I started the piano at 8 the first piece of classical music that excited me was Peer Gynt by Grieg. The teacher would play the disc and us kids were encouraged to express our response through movement as it were. I remember that Morning and The Hall of the Mountain King principally interested me. The other bits on the program were not so appealing but I really loved the excitement of the narrative of Peer Gynt even if I didn't fully understand it.

Later I joined the school choir and discovered Handel and Haydn. When I started the piano I was curious to pick out the notes of Haydn and really enjoyed it. So I suppose, yes I liked "classical" music before I started playing. I know it's formally simple classical music but it just grabbed my imagination and took me with it.

It don't mean a ting if it don't have dat swing
B
B
When I was in Kindergarden, we had taken a field trip to see a performance of beethoven's 9th. I can't quite remember if anything else was performed, especially keeping our attention spans into consideration, but since that day I have always liked classical music. I didn't start listening to it on a regular basis until I had taken up piano.

It was liszt that led me to explore many pianist and composers. it was sitting in Civics and Economics that I had the piano song from the cartoons "Rhapsody Rabbit" and "The Cat Concerto" stuck in my head, and it wouldn't go away. I google searched looney toons piano song and there it was. Hungarian Rhapsody #2 written by franz liszt on a web site dedicated to popular classical pieces and the venues they appeared in. I went out and bought Hung. Rhap. vol 1 #s 1-9 and i thought they were pretty cool. I didn't love them yet, (now i think they're all amazing). I proceeded to read an online biography on Franz Liszt and was blown away by the accounts of this man as a pianist. I then kept on reading about other pianist after finishing this one, (chopin, schubert, alkan, etc.) Since then, i've never looked back.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission