Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#469816 - 01/19/09 09:38 AM Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Is this for anatomical reasons or in terms of the normaln "workout" it gets playing music or...?

Thanks

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#469817 - 01/19/09 09:41 AM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
forex Offline

Loc: singapore
thats' what i m trying to find out and hope to find solutions to it man!!!

#469818 - 01/19/09 09:42 AM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
forex Offline

Loc: singapore
and also the extensor and flexor of 4th finger are wrapped around the 3rd, thay why it can never be totally independent of 3rd finger.

someone correct me if i m wrong.

#469819 - 01/19/09 09:55 AM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
Morodiene Online   content

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
It is just how the hand is made. The 4th finger will never be independent of the 3rd and 5th fingers. Just look at Schumann to see the dangers of trying to make it work like all the other fingers! This is why it is important to choose your fingering wisely in pieces so that it accounts for this being so weak.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#469820 - 01/19/09 09:58 AM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
keyboardklutz Offline

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
The question is not why but what to do about it.

#469821 - 01/19/09 10:12 AM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?

I think one can improve the strength/independence of the fourth finger but not make it equal to the others. I think some of Chopin's and Schnabel's fingerings are chosen because it is a given that some fingers are stronger than others even in pianists with the best technique.

So far some people have given reasons why the fourth finger cannot be independent of some other fingers. Is that the same thing as saying it's not as strong?

#469822 - 01/19/09 10:14 AM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
keyboardklutz Offline

It's weighed down by the extra attachments - rather like a dog on a chain.

#469823 - 01/19/09 10:17 AM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
Chris G Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
The Hanon exercises (in the first section of the book)are good at exercising all 5 fingers and have stood the test of time. Be sure to lift your fingers high as it says in the instructions.

#469824 - 01/19/09 10:18 AM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
playliszt Offline

Loc: Oh/Fla
 Quote:
The question is not why but what to do about it. [/b]
Chopin Op.10 #2 springs to mind immediately (at least for the RH).

#469825 - 01/19/09 10:20 AM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
keyboardklutz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris G:
Be sure to lift your fingers high as it says in the instructions. [/b]
Oh shite!?

#469826 - 01/19/09 11:12 AM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?

Chris G: how does one lift the 4th finger high? The only way is to lift the 5th finger with it, which is undesirable. You must understand the physiology of the hand and work within its limits, not try to make up your own.

#469827 - 01/19/09 05:05 PM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
ahvat Offline

well you can stretch the 4th finger straight out and play the note. and have a good tone.

#469828 - 01/19/09 08:07 PM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Look up hand on wikipedia. You'll see a picture of the tendons on the back of the hands somewhere. It'll become apparent that the 2nd and 5th fingers are not really restricted, but 3rd pulls 2nd up together with it when it comes up (your hand can overcomes this by letting the tendons move closer). Fourth is special because when 4th comes up, it pulls on the tendons of the 3rd and 5th fingers, which is a problem because the 4th tendon can't split into 2 or anything \:\(

I just pull on my 4th finger all the time, and it gets somewhat stronger \:D I also like to grab stuff with it instead of index finger.

#469829 - 01/19/09 08:24 PM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?

Very interesting. Is there some clear reason why the hand is built this way or is it just the way it worked out?

#469830 - 01/19/09 09:43 PM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
JerryS88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ringwood, NJ
As stated by others here, the fourth finger is weaker than the others for anatomical reasons BUT it must be made to be as independent and powerful as possible and I would recommend one's goal be to make it AS independent and powerful as any of your other fingers - in other words work as though it is possible.

With slow, gradual practice one can develop the ability to lift the fourth independently. I have been finding out recently, as part of my "challenge everything you've been taught and everything you've been taught to fear" exploration of technique, that lifting the finger reasonably high (I keep it curved) is a fantastic way to develop its power and independence. You will be told that this will only lead to injury, but I suspect that is an overreaction to a whole lot of pianists going overboard in their practicing, whether in quantity or quality. Just use common sense moderation in how high you lift your fingers and how much you practice, and learn to relax muscles that don't need to be engaged. KK - I am aware of your admonition, based on Ortman, that when striking the key from any height the finger is slowed at contact, but I have never understood why that matters - I would think that that slowing would be quite miniscule and more than made up for by the additional momentum of the finger before contact, not to mention their increased power developed by practicing in this manner, but I don't wish to get in an argument over it - comment as you wish and I'll leave you with the last word. At any rate, one practices lifting the fingers to develop their independence and power. One can PLAY from the surface or from a distance above the keys, it all depends on the sound one wishes to achieve.

#469831 - 01/19/09 10:15 PM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
My teacher recently told me to work Hanon #45 to help fingers #4 and #5

#469832 - 01/20/09 01:02 AM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
Quite a Delight Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pianoloverus:
Very interesting. Is there some clear reason why the hand is built this way or is it just the way it worked out? [/b]
Strength of grip, think of the evolutionary purpose of the hand...what use did independant fingers have thousands of years ago?

#469833 - 01/20/09 01:46 AM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
keyboardklutz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by JerryS88:
KK - I am aware of your admonition, based on Ortman, that when striking the key from any height the finger is slowed at contact, but I have never understood why that matters - I would think that that slowing would be quite miniscule and more than made up for by the additional momentum of the finger before contact, not to mention their increased power developed by practicing in this manner, but I don't wish to get in an argument over it - comment as you wish and I'll leave you with the last word. At any rate, one practices lifting the fingers to develop their independence and power. One can PLAY from the surface or from a distance above the keys, it all depends on the sound one wishes to achieve. [/b]
Ortmann (and Schultz's) point is that you lose control not power. The concentration you've put into the 'tone' is all lost once the key travels faster than your finger. All that's left is about millimeter where you are back in control of the key before the escapement.

On the raising the fingers high - if you are experienced, and I include learned, you can do what you want. I've been working on playing Bach with a hand that looks (and feels) like a fist. I got close to giving myself tennis elbow and I have tension all down both sides but I know exactly what I'm doing and though close, will not damage myself. It's the freedom of someone who has been active in the technique field for over 10 years. I would never alllow my students to 'experiment' like this unless I felt sure they can play with zero tension first. As I've said before - you can always add tension, you can't take it away. By the way, playing with extreme flexion really builds muscles, as does extreme extension (black note etude).

All that said, even I wouldn't crash a finger into the key, that's asking for trouble. Damage could happen on any single strike as it did to Paderewski. Our fingers evolved to grasp which presupposes contact first.

#469834 - 01/20/09 12:57 PM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
Chris G Offline
500 Post Club Member

Regarding lifting the fourth finger high everyone's hand is different and if you find this uncomfortable or painful you shouldn't do it without seeking sound medical advice. I may be lucky in that my 4th finger does not seem particularly weak compared to the rest of my fingers and has pretty good independent motion. I still feel that Hanon is helpful for giving a good workout to all 5 fingers but as with any exercise you should not overdo it if you feel any kind of discomfort.

#469835 - 01/20/09 03:00 PM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
ocd Offline

Loc: North East
 Quote:
Originally posted by Morodiene:
Chris G: how does one lift the 4th finger high? The only way is to lift the 5th finger with it, which is undesirable. [/b]
Why do you think that is undesirable. If the fifth finger is not playing at the time (holding a high note as happens often in polyphony) why go to the effort of keeping it down? To bring up one of our hobby horses, the Taubman technique teaches that the fifth should be lifted with the fourth in those situations. (This is a specific application of a more general approach.)

ocd

#469836 - 01/20/09 03:12 PM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?

Quote:
Originally posted by ocd:
 Quote:
Chris G: how does one lift the 4th finger high? The only way is to lift the 5th finger with it, which is undesirable. [/b]
Why do you think that is undesirable. If the fifth finger is not playing at the time (holding a high note as happens often in polyphony) why go to the effort of keeping it down? To bring up one of our hobby horses, the Taubman technique teaches that the fifth should be lifted with the fourth in those situations. (This is a specific application of a more general approach.)

ocd [/b]
Put a stress on "in those situations." Why make a rule for the exception? I've seen people play with a very high 5th finger most of the time. It adds tension where there doesn't need to be, and I'm not going to endorse it on a forum when there is no supervision over what is actually being done or understand by what was said here.

#469837 - 01/20/09 03:20 PM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:

ocd [/b]
Put a stress on "in those situations." Why make a rule for the exception? I've seen people play with a very high 5th finger most of the time. It adds tension where there doesn't need to be, and I'm not going to endorse it on a forum when there is no supervision over what is actually being done or understand by what was said here. [/b]
If you watch virtually any youtube videos of Kissin, Horowitz, Pogorelich(I just chose them because they have many good close videos of the hands)I think you'll see they raise the fifth finger when they raise the forth finger.

#469838 - 01/20/09 04:29 PM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
keyboardklutz Offline

You'll probably see videos of people sticking their heads in ovens as well.

#469839 - 01/20/09 04:45 PM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
ocd Offline

Loc: North East
 Quote:
Put a stress on "in those situations." Why make a rule for the exception? I've seen people play with a very high 5th finger most of the time. It adds tension where there doesn't need to be, ... [/b]
I am not saying to keep the fifth finger high continuously. Instead, move both fingers together: fifth raises and falls with four, five does not play, of course. It is less stressing than isolating fourth.

ocd

#469840 - 01/20/09 06:24 PM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?

Quote:
 Quote:
Put a stress on "in those situations." Why make a rule for the exception? I've seen people play with a very high 5th finger most of the time. It adds tension where there doesn't need to be, ... [/b]
I am not saying to keep the fifth finger high continuously. Instead, move both fingers together: fifth raises and falls with five, five does not play, of course. It is less stressing than isolating fourth.

ocd [/b]
I think ocd meant "falls with four". It's virtually automatic except where the music requires holding a note with the fifth while the fourth plays a note.

#469841 - 01/20/09 09:32 PM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pianoloverus:
I think one can improve the strength/independence of the fourth finger but not make it equal to the others. [/b]
Doing holding exercises (carefully) can help. Even if you can't lift the fourth as high as the others without moving 3 or 5, you can still work on lifting it enough to get it functioning with as much independence as possible.

Didn't Horowitz once say he thought the most important in piano playing was developing the fourth finger? Of course, he might have said that to trick his competition into crippling their hands by over-stressing that finger. \:\)

#469842 - 01/20/09 09:34 PM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

\:D I agree with him, though. Focused work on my fourth finger has done more for my technique than anything except double thirds.

#469843 - 01/21/09 01:45 AM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest?
keyboardklutz Offline

Nearly every time I have a problem, on closer inspection, it's the fourth finger. Hearing it as the problem usually puts it right.

#1159096 - 03/07/09 03:37 PM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Chris G Offline
500 Post Club Member

This thread has been dormant for a while but I noticed that in the latest edition of Pianist Magazine (#46) there is a whole article discussing the fourth finger and its importance.

#1159107 - 03/07/09 04:04 PM Re: Why is the fourth finger the weakest? [Re: Chris G]
keyboardklutz Offline

Education – Fingering
What's the best way to improve your fingering skills? Just bring your fourth finger forwards, says John York, who shows you how it's done.

Hmm, maybe I'll look out for a copy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fingering for "Wind (Naruto)" excerpt
by longyodel127
09/17/14 05:28 PM
A tune I wrote last night
by Arizona Sage
09/17/14 05:20 PM
Refusing "Every Other" week lesson
by ezpiano.org
09/17/14 05:09 PM
Undecided in an upgrade - Kawai MP7 vs CE220
by Giancarlo Robles
09/17/14 04:32 PM
Kawai Console
by landorrano
09/17/14 03:48 PM
Who's Online
155 registered (analarana, Al LaPorte, accordeur, ajames, 88 Fingers Jeff, acortot, 41 invisible), 1370 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76233 Members
42 Forums
157587 Topics
2314737 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission