2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
darb Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I'd love to hear what the other members of your family play? And what else do you play? Are there any other families that try to play chamber music together as a family? We try, but I'm sure it would be hysterical to watch! We play piano, flute, classical guitar, trumpet, mandolin, violin, alto recorder and lots of weird unnamed percussion instruments that my husband brings back from foreign places.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
No one in my family plays a musical instrument. I sing, but I'm terrible.

P
P
my daughter plays with the pitch bend slider of my digital while I'm playing. :p

Other than that, my parents and sisters are pretty much unmusical, listening to whatevers's on the charts or latest trends. I became hypnothised by classical music ever since I discovered some old vinyls... no other instrument other than piano though...

gggEb!
My mum used to play..but now that i'm hogging the piano she doesn't really get a chance anymore! My brother's just started the saxaphone, and of course, practises in the same room as me WHILE I PRACTISE!! IT'S SO LOUD, GRRR!!! My dad whistles. Out of tune. But hey, he tries!

"I write music with an exclamation point!" - Richard Wagner
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by phonehome:
I sing, but I'm terrible.
Yet presumably only the shower knows... and if it could only talk when you lurch for the high "C" in Che gelida manina...

Jason
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I actually sang with my local symphony chorus for awhile. I just hate my voice. It sounds like the way I talk, which is really REALLY abrasive.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by phonehome:
It sounds like the way I talk, which is really REALLY abrasive.
Sort of like the way you post?

Just kidding, just kidding... you know we love you here. I'll join ya for a cig... laugh

Jason
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
None of my family members (immediate or not) play musical instruments, my sister can talk for England though, if that counts...I also play guitar and sing quite well, although in recent times my voice seems to be giving up on my and succumbing to the toil caused by enjoying single malts a bit too much. Guitar is my second (or even first) love - I always feel more closely connected to it when I play, when compared to piano.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Me: just piano.

Son (oldest): piano and French Horn.

Son (youngest): flute

Wife: clarinet .....years ago.

Hey, we could have a family jam session. Anybody know a good piano, horn, flute trio?

E
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Me: piano
Brother: guitar and piano
Mother: flute
Father: piano, trombone, flute, trumpet, guitar, accordion, and almost every instrument. He is very talented.
Grandmother: violin
etc.
My whole family are musicians. Litterally all. smile

K
K
Son - 16 Piano, Sax, Bass and anything else I would buy him.
Dau - 12 Piano, Trombone, Viola, voice
Dau - 8 Piano
Wife - Piano, Flute, Oboe many years ago
Me - I just try to figure out how to pay for it all

My mother played the piano.
My father played the mandolin
My brother played the clarinet
and little me tried to play the piano also.

IJGpiano
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
My brother plays bass & lead guitar. Doesn't read a note of music but can play anything. He's the musician, I'm a typist who sits in front of a piano laugh

Edit: I have a niece that's very good on the viola (lessons for years, played with the Starling youth orchestra in Cincinnati) and a nephew that plays the piano though he's more interested in swimming.

Greg
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by C7 Player:
My brother plays bass & lead guitar. Doesn't read a note of music but can play anything. He's the musician, I'm a typist who sits in front of a piano laugh
My husband is much like your brother. He played piano for a while, but now concentrates on bass. He does not read music well, tho he is trying to improve that skill. When he played piano, he pretty much memorized everything- and very quickly. Now he can pick up one of his basses and play just about anything- he has an instinctual concept of playing music.

Me? I'm the typist in the house. I attempt to play piano and I sang for many, many years, almost every style of music, except opera and rap!

Oldest daughter played piano from the time she was 5 till she graduated high school. Well, she played some after that, but wasn't taking lessons anymore, and tho she was alwasys the artistic one in the family, she never took it seriously enough.

The other 2 daughters played piano for a few years and gave it up. The youngest has tried to pick up guitar, and still plays a little at times, and she sang in high school as well. The middle daughter listens to music. smile

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
- Me: Piano and some clarinet.
- Dad: Clarinet, saxophone, flute, guitar, accordion.
- 1st brother: Flamenco guitar.
- 2nd brother: Some piano.
- 3rd brother: Tenor voice (operatic).
- Mom & Wife: Enjoy listening to us.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
My mother studied piano, and gave much encouragment when I first expressed interest. She also introduced me to the glories of classical music and instilled an early love of the great English choral tradition.

Like several other members here, I'm also an organist.

Jason
R
R
Well, besides playing the piano, I also play the organ and sing in a choir. One of my brothers plays the piano and guitar. My youngest brother is to young to play anything yet. My mom plays the flute, but doesn't have to much time to now, and my dad played the sax and clarinet when he was younger, but probably couldn't play a single note anymore.

Once during a concert at Carnegie Hall, the violinist Rachmaninoff was playing with lost his place in the music and whispered to Rachmaninoff, "Where are we?" Rachmaninoff replied, in all seriousness, "Carnegie Hall".
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I play at the hammered dulcimer occasionallly.

My older brother plays Highland bagpipes.

My youngest brother is a professional musician and plays electric bass and other guitars. Like the bass playing relatives above he reads music poorly but can play anything.

All of us played in band as kids but no longer play those instruments - I played alto sax, and there were trumpeters in the family.

My Mom played piano, and my Dad played a little guitar, on a triangular-shaped guitar that I think is no longer playable but that hangs on the wall at the bagpiper's place.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
abe Offline
All of my eight siblings play(ed) the piano. Other instruments played are flute (2), violin (2), viola (me), cello (3), harp (1). I also sing, but mostly in choirs, not solo stuff.

Neither of my parents played piano of string instruments, funnily enough.

-Abe

Give you a prize if you can figure out why I chose my avatar.
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I play saxophone and piano. One sister played piano and clarinet, and the other flute and piano. I'm the only one in the family who continued with the piano. My dad can play the highland pipes, but really only performs for special occasions.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission