Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#470430 - 12/26/07 09:41 PM RCM ARCT selections
classik51 Offline

Loc: Canada
Hello! I hope everyone had a very good Christmas!

It seems like I need everyone's help for the second time. Recently I realized that all the pieces I've been studying since last summer are either from Romantic or Impressionistic era. I seem to have developed an unhealthy pickiness in my musical taste... I tried to broaden my repertoire by trying Bach's Italian Concerto and various classical sonatas, but I just can't find any that really fascinates me. Baroque and twentieth-century music has never been my favourite, but I've never been "unable" to play them before. I'm not planning to take the exam any soon if at all (my first and last exam had been Gr10 practical in which I almost had a nervous breakdown) so I gues it doesn't really matter if I decide to play only Romantic pieces, but I can't stop thinking that that's a crime towards Beethoven (my hero!) and Bach and all the other genius composers.

So do you guys know any great ARCT pieces that I could try? Amazing Beethoven sonatas or any Baroque pieces or playable etudes (that is, not Transcendental Etudes \:\) )? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#470431 - 12/26/07 10:48 PM Re: RCM ARCT selections
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
classik51 :

First: I am assuming since you are talking about ARCT pieces that you live in Canada.

Second : A relatively small number of us who regularly contribute to this forum live in Canada and even know what ARCT is; so, the likelihood that you'll get swamped with responses is limited.

Third : I am not sure what you are asking. Do you want to know what the ARCT pieces are for lists A and B and for the Etudes? Or, do you have the Syllabus and do you just want recommendations from the rest of us. If it's the latter, there's no guaranteeing that what I like you will like; peoples' tastes in music, as in everything else, vary widely.

Regards,

#470432 - 12/27/07 10:44 AM Re: RCM ARCT selections
classik51 Offline

Oh, that's too bad... Yes, I wanted recommendations. Oh well I'll just listen to all the pieces in the whole list. Thanks for informing me anyway \:\) .

#470433 - 12/27/07 10:54 AM Re: RCM ARCT selections
sandman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: toronto
im pretty sure you can substitute any suitable piece you want provided it is of the appropriet difficulty and you teach signs off on the change.

#470434 - 12/27/07 03:04 PM Re: RCM ARCT selections
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
do you have a teacher? If you do you should approach him/her as your teacher will know what you are capable of learning.

#470435 - 12/28/07 12:14 PM Re: RCM ARCT selections
gmf001 Offline

Loc: Uxbridge, ON, Canada
It's been a while since I did my ARCT (ok a long, long while), but I didn't completely conform to the usual selections when choosing my ARCT repertoire.
I don't think there's anything you can do about the List A piece - it pretty much has to be Bach, usually a P&F, not sure if there;s anything else on the list these days. For my List B piece I chose a Schubert Sonata (the A+ one that BruceD uploaded his playing a few months back). When I did my ARCT you could really break the mold and play the Ravel Sonatine for List B, but I have hunch they've changed that. I would expect that 99% of the ARCT candidates play either a Mozart or Beethoven Sonata, so while being outside that is a little radical, if you play something else well you will stand out. On the other hand if you don't pull if off they will likely be harder on you. Doesn't sound like you have any issues with the Romantic and Impressionist periods. For the modern work I chose a Messiaen prelude - a natural extension of your impressionist affinity ...

There's a long list of options for the ARCT - take a look off the beaten track.

#470436 - 12/28/07 02:31 PM Re: RCM ARCT selections
kcoul058 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UBC, Vancouver, Canada
When I did mine, I did one of the deepest, most expressive Bach P&F's and Beethoven Sonatas, the D# minor Book I for Bach (Bb minor Book 1, and G# minor Book 2 are other great works I have played since), and Tempest Sonata for Beethoven (Appassionata and a few others I find just as expressive).

I agree with you, in that I generally find less in these periods that strikes me than in Romantic, Impressionist/etc, and 20th Century, but I still find them! You can't budge much on the Bach, but for Classical, there are some nice sonatas on the list as well if I am not mistaken, check out some of Clementi's minor sonatas (especially Didone Abandonata), and the Dussek F# minor 2 movement sonata, these are some real hidden gems IMHO! Not totally sure if they are on the list though, but I think at least the Clementi should be.

If you like that first Bach though, watch out, at the time, the fugue was the hardest thing I had ever memorized, it took me so long!

#470437 - 12/28/07 02:35 PM Re: RCM ARCT selections
kcoul058 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UBC, Vancouver, Canada
PS - At the time I was also fairly picky about 20th Century rep, perhaps even more so! I though *everything* sounded bad from this period, well almost, now after plenty of surveyed study, I realize there is more amazing music from this period than any other period, it is just all buried away under the surface level of pieces that demonstrate all these new techniques (often in an experimental, bad way), and that we don't know how to separate experimental works deserving merit from artistically successful works (that usually come later, ie High Renaissance, High Baroque, High Classical, etc (Romantic might have been a good exception to this general trend).

But there are works that fall in both categories, and as such are more accessible to us - the one I chose was the Prokofiev 3rd Sonata, both novel and highly enjoyable IMHO.

Finally, I don't recommend the Etude I chose, the Chopin op.10 no.9, it was devastating on my LH wrist, so unless you have big hands, and a nimble LH, don't try this one!

I would much sooner recommend a Scriabin etude, they are so colourful! Too many good choices, take a look! Etudes should be the easiest category to pick from, you have Etudes from almost every period.

#470438 - 01/01/08 08:23 PM Re: RCM ARCT selections
classik51 Offline

Yes, I have an absolutely wonderful teacher, but his recommendations somehow turn out to be the most difficult ones;; I need to very delicately remind him that not everyone's as amazing as him. ;\)

Hmm, too bad I have listened to every single one of Bach's P&F's and didn't really like any one of them. Perhaps my opinion will change when I listen to them again, that happens often.

I know someone who played that Schubert sonata (haven't actually heard him play it though). I should check it out... I never really did care whether or not tons of others play the same piece as long as I like it. However, it would be nice to stand out.

I listened to this one etude by Scriabin (op 8 no.12) and it was absolutely phenomenal, but I'm not sure if I could pull off all the jumps. I am usually all about hard work but I recently played a piece that had too many wild leaps I just coulnd't control it.

I wish I could just play EVERYTHING \:\) .

#470439 - 01/03/08 01:36 AM Re: RCM ARCT selections
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Try Granados's The Maiden and the Nightengale, and
Ginastera's Malambo.

As for baroque, the Italian Concerto is amazing. But I also like the a minor prelude and fugue.

For classical, try the E-flat minor sonata by Pinto, which is not in the syllabus.

#470440 - 01/05/08 05:10 PM Re: RCM ARCT selections
blacvi Offline

For the Bach, you can also choose from a bunch of the English suites, Partitas, and toccatas. Also check out the Op.2 no.3, Op.53, Op.57, Op.111 sonatas by Beethoven. I personally think the List E piece is the hardest to choose. Try looking at Bartok, Ginasteras, Prokofiev. Although not well known, take a look at "In Memorium to Victims of Chernobyl" by Larysa Kuzmenko. If played properly, the piece is absolutely breathtaking.

Oh, and beware of choosing pieces like the Moonlight sonata. They're highly overplayed, and if you're gonna play them, you better be able to pull it off really, really well.

#470441 - 01/07/08 11:39 AM Re: RCM ARCT selections
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
talking about overplayed the sinfonia from Partita no.2 is commonly played especially in competitions so it's always better to stay clear of that one unless your teacher asks you to learn it for a reason like mine did.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
158 registered (ando, accordeur, 36251, anamnesis, ajames, 42 invisible), 1861 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156287 Topics
2295296 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
You & Your Piano
by DancerJ
37 minutes 57 seconds ago
Fun etudes?
by chasingrainbows
Today at 04:41 PM
Music competitions are rife with corruption says JLWebbr
by pianoloverus
Today at 02:51 PM
Midi support removed from OS X?
by fizikisto
Today at 02:41 PM
Some interesting finds in a museum visit today!
by LarryShone
Today at 01:06 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission