Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#471101 - 11/11/07 03:59 PM what does this mean on my Debussy piece?
vivo Offline

Loc: miami
Hey guys. I am presently working on a Debussy piece called, The Girl With The Flaxen Hair otherwise known as La Fille aux cheveux de lin.

At the heading of the first page before measure 1 the term

tres calme doucement expressif is used.

What does this mean? I tried looking it up in my music dictionary with no success.

On the 3rd page, before meauser 31, the term that is used is:

Murmure et en retenant peu a peu
what does that mean?

thanks for your help

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#471102 - 11/11/07 04:07 PM Re: what does this mean on my Debussy piece?
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
It's French. Debussy was a french composer.

The first one means something like "Very calm, gently/slowly expressive". The second one I believe is basically "Whisper and hold back little by little".

#471103 - 11/11/07 04:22 PM Re: what does this mean on my Debussy piece?
vivo Offline

thank you Theowne. I guess I need to learn French if I want to play Debussy huh? He is one of my favorite composers. BTW I watched your U-Tube Videos and you are GOOD! I really like the Arabesque

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBOHc7jHHK0

#471104 - 11/11/07 05:14 PM Re: what does this mean on my Debussy piece?
vanityx3 Offline

très calme doucement expressif
literally means, very calm sweetly expressive

[Doucement literally means sweetly; I guess Debussy could've used it to mean slowly, but I've never seen it used that way. Lentement is the word for slowly.]

Murmure et en retenant peu à peu
means,
murmur (whisper) by holding back little by little;

although I'm unsure why it wouldn't be La murmure...but thats a french grammar problem, it doesn't affect the music.

#471105 - 11/11/07 05:45 PM Re: what does this mean on my Debussy piece?
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vivo:
thank you Theowne. I guess I need to learn French if I want to play Debussy huh? He is one of my favorite composers. BTW I watched your U-Tube Videos and you are GOOD! I really like the Arabesque

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBOHc7jHHK0 [/b]
Luckily we can cheat since we know english. A lot of words are very similar (calme/calm, expressif/expressive, murmure/murmur).

& Thanks for compliments, makes all the retakes worth it ;\)

#471106 - 11/11/07 11:26 PM Re: what does this mean on my Debussy piece?
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
 Quote:
Originally posted by vanityx3:

means,

although I'm unsure why it wouldn't be La murmure...but thats a french grammar problem, it doesn't affect the music. [/b]
The noun 'murmure' in French is masculine, so it would be 'le murmure' if Debussy were using the word as a noun.

The verb "murmurer" means to utter softly, to murmur, to whisper and is a synonym for "chuchoter", to whisper.

However, the actual direction is "murmuré et en retenant un peu" Debussy is using the past participle of the verb "murmurer" as an adjective : "Whispered", "uttered softly", so a fair translation of the direction is "Murmured, and[/b] holding back little by little"; in other words, play very softly, with no accents, and gradually slow down.

Regards,

#471107 - 11/12/07 08:19 PM Re: what does this mean on my Debussy piece?
hyonchingonchon Offline

Clair de Lune FTW!

#471108 - 11/12/07 09:17 PM Re: what does this mean on my Debussy piece?
Aviator1010110 Offline

Loc: United States
 Quote:
Originally posted by BruceD:
 Quote:

means,

although I'm unsure why it wouldn't be La murmure...but thats a french grammar problem, it doesn't affect the music. [/b]
The noun 'murmure' in French is masculine, so it would be 'le murmure' if Debussy were using the word as a noun.

The verb "murmurer" means to utter softly, to murmur, to whisper and is a synonym for "chuchoter", to whisper.

However, the actual direction is "murmuré et en retenant un peu" Debussy is using the past participle of the verb "murmurer" as an adjective : "Whispered", "uttered softly", so a fair translation of the direction is "Murmured, and[/b] holding back little by little"; in other words, play very softly, with no accents, and gradually slow down.

Regards, [/b]
HA! Leave it to the retired French teacher.

That has to be THE most complete translation of a musical term I've ever seen. Bravo!

#471109 - 11/12/07 09:32 PM Re: what does this mean on my Debussy piece?
vivo Offline

thanks guys! I am lucky to have discovered PW!
Now I got 2 more questions about the same Debussy piece, which is, La fille aux cheveux de lin.

Before measure 23, the phrase is:

"Cedez----------au Mouv! (sans Lourdeur)
What does that mean?

Also on the same page there is also the phrase:
"un peu anime"
I think peu means a little , but I am not sure about the anime.

Am I going to need to learn French if I want to play Debussy? Should I sign up for French 1 at the local Adult night school? Or maybe I need a better music dictionary. Right now I have a little red pocket dictionary by Schirmer.

BTW , here is a u tube of the song for those of you that are unfamiliar with the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfQ5hOOLk1o

#471110 - 11/12/07 09:41 PM Re: what does this mean on my Debussy piece?
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cedez....au MouvT is basically saying to slow down.....and then return to the main tempo. MouvT is similar to "A tempo", although I found it confusing at first too. Maybe BruceD can elaborate on that.

"sans Lourdeur" - without *heaviness

"un peu anime" means "a little animated".

Quote:
Am I going to need to learn French if I want to play Debussy?
Let's just say that Google translator has helped me in my Debussy endeavors (along with what I remember from my ninth grade French class).

http://translate.google.com/translate_t?langpair=fr|en

#471111 - 11/12/07 10:35 PM Re: what does this mean on my Debussy piece?
BruceD Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by vivo:
thanks guys! I am lucky to have discovered PW!
Now I got 2 more questions about the same Debussy piece, which is, La fille aux cheveux de lin.

Before measure 23, the phrase is:

"Cedez----------au Mouv! (sans Lourdeur)
What does that mean?
[/b]

Debussy sometimes makes a delightful choice of words in his musical directions. "Cédéz" means, literally, to yield, to give in. So it is, as has been said, a slowing down of the tempo, but the idea of "yielding" (to what?) adds an extra touch, even if it's only in the mind. "Sans lourdeur": without sounding heavy. This is an important direction because you have five-note chords moving in parallel motion here, and it's very easy for them to sound a little heavy or cumbersome. Sound all the notes of these chords, but keep them light and keep them moving forward.
 Quote:

Also on the same page there is also the phrase:
"un peu anime"
I think peu means a little , but I am not sure about the anime.
[/b]
"Un peu animé" means slightly more animated. Debussy could have said "un peu plus vite" (a little faster), but there is something in the idea of making it more "animated" that adds something to the tempo, it's not just a little faster, there's something in the mental attitude that has to show "animation".
 Quote:

Am I going to need to learn French if I want to play Debussy? Should I sign up for French 1 at the local Adult night school? Or maybe I need a better music dictionary. Right now I have a little red pocket dictionary by Schirmer.

BTW , here is a u tube of the song for those of you that are unfamiliar with the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfQ5hOOLk1o [/b]
You don't need to know French to be able to play Debussy, but it helps. You can always ask the old pedantic retired French teachers what they think. They'll tell you more than you need - or want - to know.

À bientôt, j'espère!

#471112 - 11/12/07 10:38 PM Re: what does this mean on my Debussy piece?
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Could you explain the literal meaning of "Mouv" which usually has a small "t" in the upper right beside it?

#471113 - 11/12/07 10:43 PM Re: what does this mean on my Debussy piece?
BruceD Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Theowne:
Could you explain the literal meaning of "Mouv" which usually has a small t in the upper right beside it? [/b]
In the original Durand edition, the word Mouv.t is an abbreviation for "mouvement". This simply means that the section in question should move forward in tempo, at the original tempo. When you see "Au mouv.t" it means in tempo, that is, return to the tempo of the piece before any ritardando or "cédez" or "en retenant un peu".

Regards,

#471114 - 11/13/07 01:04 AM Re: what does this mean on my Debussy piece?
vanityx3 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Aviator1010110:
 Quote:
Originally posted by BruceD:
 Quote:

means,

Regards, [/b]
HA! Leave it to the retired French teacher.

That has to be THE most complete translation of a musical term I've ever seen. Bravo! [/b]
Thank you Bruce for your explanations and corrections. By the way, I never knew you were a retired french teacher, I'm looking to be a future french teacher. I'm only in french 4 right now, I still need advanced french classes though.

I won't soon forget your corrections, as I was unsure if murmurer was a synonym for chuchoter or not. I actually knew murmure would be a masculine noun, I just had a brain fart though

And I understand what you were saying about murmuré being the past participle of murmurer and used as an adjective. I didn't make this connection though from the first post where the accents were left off.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
69 registered (36251, AndrewAJC, ando, anotherscott, Al LaPorte, 21 invisible), 1112 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75353 Members
42 Forums
155805 Topics
2287793 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Keeping a digital piano in storage - worth it?
by hexentanz
Today at 05:22 AM
Personal monitors
by Tim K
Today at 02:55 AM
Happy Birthday Transcription for the Organ
by musdan
Today at 01:41 AM
Casio PX5S. No soft pedal?
by Indra123
Today at 12:36 AM
Studio Monitor Info -- Zzounds
by Charles Cohen
Yesterday at 11:42 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission