Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#471990 - 01/11/08 12:51 AM Getting musical ideas from the non-piano works.
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
Over the years I've discovered that is sometimes easier to get an idea of how a piece should sound on the piano by listening to a composers non-piano works. In many cases, the composer has incorporated the same idioms into his piano music that he uses in his orchestral or chamber works.

After listening how the composer phrases something, or uses a particular texture against another, I try to bring that out in his piano work.

A good example is Bach. When I play his English or French Suites, I incorporate some of the same phrasing found in his concertos or orchestral suites. The same with Haydn and his piano sonatas. I find a lot of similarity between his string quartets and the sonatas. With CPE Bach, who is new to me, I find his keyboard sonatas to be similar to his symphonies. In Beethoven, especially his later sonatas, I hear a lot of similarities between his piano concertos and his sonatas and string quartets.

Does anyone else do this, or I just crazy as usual?

John

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#471991 - 01/11/08 01:01 AM Re: Getting musical ideas from the non-piano works.
Matthew Collett Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
 Quote:
Originally posted by John Citron:
Over the years I've discovered that is sometimes easier to get an idea of how a piece should sound on the piano by listening to a composers non-piano works. In many cases, the composer has incorporated the same idioms into his piano music that he uses in his orchestral or chamber works.

[...]

Does anyone else do this, or I just crazy as usual?
[/b]
I do find that thinking about how the composer might have scored a certain passage for orchestra/quartet/choir/... can help with interpretation.

It doesn't work so well for Chopin or Clementi though ;\) .

Best wishes,
Matthew
"Passions, violent or not, may never be expressed to the point of revulsion; even in the most frightening situation music must never offend the ear but must even then offer enjoyment, i.e. must always remain music." -- W.A.Mozart

212cm Fazioli: some photos and recordings .
Auckland Catholic Music Schola .

#471992 - 01/11/08 01:50 AM Re: Getting musical ideas from the non-piano works.
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Some of it perhaps boils down laziness. Check out J C Bach's keyboard sonatas. He published 2 sets - op 5 and op 17. He made no concessions to the piano at all. It's just his regular opera style. Mozart learnt much from him.

CPE, on the other hand, would seem to be applying what he's learned through his idiomatic clavichord work. I don't know much of CPE's non-keyboard works though. One excitement - I just received Peter Wollny's Harvard PHD thesis on WF! That'll keep me busy this weekend.

John, I listened to your Mozart again last night. A real joy!

#471993 - 01/11/08 11:11 AM Re: Getting musical ideas from the non-piano works.
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
not crazy at all John.

one thing i enjoy about my occasional lessons is that i get to hear mr. teacher interpret the piece orchestrally (appropriate because the composer (s) I like writes for multiple instruments and voice.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#471994 - 01/11/08 12:23 PM Re: Getting musical ideas from the non-piano works.
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
John, you're not crazy. This is the sort of thing every musician should do, IMO.

For example, so many people state that if you don't know and understand Mozart's operas, you cannot fully know his works in other genres. I once thought this was rubbish. Then I got to know and love Mozart's operas, and I found out that they're soooo right! You realize that Mozart employs certain gestures and devices to depict certain affects, and then the rest of his works become operas in their own right.
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

#471995 - 01/11/08 09:44 PM Re: Getting musical ideas from the non-piano works.
Tenuto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: U.S.A.
John, I completely agree. Your fingers can create a mini-orchestra and they can vocalize as well.

#471996 - 01/12/08 12:05 AM Re: Getting musical ideas from the non-piano works.
Loki Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
It makes perfect sense. There are lots of passages where Beethoven will write piano music in four parts resembling a string quartet, or where Schubert's music will be very similar to his lieder. It makes sense to listen to the other music to understand the piano music.

#471997 - 01/12/08 03:25 AM Re: Getting musical ideas from the non-piano works.
Ted2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
I listen to a lot of orchestral music too, and I have no doubt it imparts variety and interest to my playing. However, in my case, the correlation is neither direct nor specific with regard to composers, pieces or instruments. Over time, a general imaginative effect gets into the unconscious, then finds its own way out during playing via increasing diversity of touch, accent and figuration. It is far from a deliberate or conscious process for me.

#471998 - 01/12/08 03:33 AM Re: Getting musical ideas from the non-piano works.
keyboardklutz Offline

I spent 15 years of my youth playing oboe in fairly high standard youth orchestras. I often forget many pianists have never made music this way. Beethoven for me is an orchestral composer. I still remember my delight as a teenager in discovering Mozart had actually written music for the piano!

#471999 - 01/12/08 08:24 AM Re: Getting musical ideas from the non-piano works.
Alexander Hanysz Offline

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
 Quote:
Over the years I've discovered that is sometimes easier to get an idea of how a piece should sound on the piano by listening to a composers non-piano works...Does anyone else do this, or I just crazy as usual?[/b]
No, not crazy. Perhaps more dedicated than many pianists.

But...

Don't stop at listening to those other works: play them! There's a wealth of accompanying and chamber music out there: lieder, violin sonatas, trios... Then there's arrangements: Brahms wrote his own piano duet arrangements of his symphonies, and they're a joy to play; you can find all the Beethoven string quartets in piano duet arrangements. And you can practice your score-reading: learn to play Haydn string quartets and Mozart symphonies off the full orcehstral score...

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Collett:
...It doesn't work so well for Chopin or Clementi though ;\)[/b]
A good perspective on Chopin's music is the operas of Bellini and Donizetti, especially the way they use ornamentation in some of the colaratura arias.

#472000 - 01/12/08 09:26 AM Re: Getting musical ideas from the non-piano works.
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I use everything! Vocal, solo instrumental and orchestral...go for it!

BTW, that Arthur Pryor stuff for coloratura trombone is excellent...

#472001 - 01/12/08 07:29 PM Re: Getting musical ideas from the non-piano works.
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
Thanks for the other perspectives on this. I guess I'm not as daft as I thought. \:\)

Keyboard Klutz, I'm glad you still like the Mozart. I have to check out JC Bach when I get a chance. I have a few of his sonatas so they should make a good read.

Janus, I discovered Mozart's operas the same way, and I hear a lot of the same ideas in them as well.

Alexander, I've played plenty of orchestral transcriptions. I find that Beethoven's symphonies transcribed for piano are very insightful into his music. I'll have to check out the Brahms two piano works. I've also transcribed (on sight) two-piano works for single piano, like Mozart's piano concertos, and I've sight read through orchestral scores as well. It can be a bit tough when things get beyond the finger/hand range, but it's fun non-the-less.

I also love chamber music, and have accompanied small ensembles and trios. This music gave me goose bumps when everyone was in that symbiotic state as everything flowed together as one being. Right now I have the MMO series of Mozart's piano quartets. (Heaven!)

Thanks Apple for your thoughts on this. My teacher did this for me as well.

Loki, I noticed that Schubert's piano sonatas are like his symphonies. I have some piano transcriptions of his symphonies, and the textures are very similar.

Interesting, Ted. I've never thought of it this way, but I can see where you're coming from. You're not necessarily copying a particular composer, but employing the symphonic effects right at the piano. Hmmm. That gives me some ideas. ;\)

John

#472002 - 01/12/08 08:05 PM Re: Getting musical ideas from the non-piano works.
Loki Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
 Quote:

Loki, I noticed that Schubert's piano sonatas are like his symphonies. I have some piano transcriptions of his symphonies, and the textures are very similar.

[/b]
I have never listened to the Schubert symphonies, so I can't make that connection yet. When I wrote that, I was thinking more about his Impromptus.

#472003 - 01/13/08 02:59 AM Re: Getting musical ideas from the non-piano works.
keyboardklutz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Loki:
 Quote:

[/b]
I have never listened to the Schubert symphonies, so I can't make that connection yet. When I wrote that, I was thinking more about his Impromptus. [/b]
Well, once you've heard the unfinished you may feel like throwing your Impromptus in the bin.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
148 registered (A Guy, Akshay, AZ_Astro, ando, 36251, 45 invisible), 1672 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153577 Topics
2250796 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
14 minutes 48 seconds ago
Bösendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
19 minutes 1 second ago
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
Today at 09:42 AM
Tuning stability problems...
by Grotriman
Today at 09:20 AM
What does this sign mean
by ryderb
Today at 08:46 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission