2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Has anyone heard any of his recordings? I just got his volume in Great Pianists of the 20th Century series from the Lincoln Center Library and found it fascinating although somewhat of a mixed bag. I best liked his Liszt/Busoni/Friedman La Campanella, the Mendelssohn Songs without Words and E minor Scherzo, Chopin Nocturne Op. 55, but only liked some of the Chopin Mazurkas and some of the Chopin Etudes. I liked least his Chopin Berceuse which is played so fast it sounds like an etude and where he often plays the left hand louder than the right! I also did not care for his A-flat Ballade too much.

I also got the Julius Katchen volume in the Great Pianists series. I found it uniformly sensational. His Islamey and Brahms Hungarian Dances were amazing both technically and musically. His Brahms Sonata No.3 and Frank Prelude, Chorale, and Fugue were ravishing!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree with you on the mazurkas - even though he was Polish and all that, I don't like the way he plays them. His etudes I can take or leave as well. But I love his ballade (opus 47). I love his nocturne (op. 55-2) and the polonaise (op. 71??) as well.

Y
yok Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Y
Like Rick I particularly like Friedman's A flat Ballade, but I agree his Chopin generally is an acquired taste. The pianists of that generation sure pulled the music about a lot more than we're used to these days and it can take some getting used to.

As for Katchen, I have most of his Brahms cycle for Decca and cherish it. His 3rd Sonata was, I think, the first ever long-playing record, but it is historic for the quality of the playing too. The other recording of his I really like is the Emperor Concerto with the LSO under Pierino Gamba. I would like to hear all 5 one day. Katchen's playing to me is muscular and has a kind of heroic quality without ever being merely bombastic or showy.

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Amen on Katchen, yok. Do you own his Hungarian Dances?

OP Online Content
I also listened to part of the Paderewski performances on the Great Pianists series. I was incredibly shocked at what seems, to me at least,to be a lack of technical control. Anyone else get that same impression?? I cannot see why he was one of the most popular pianists of all time (although I have read many positive descriptions of his playing that were not apparent to me as I listened to the Great Pianists CD). I wasn't even too excited by his performance of his own Minuet in G!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
As I understand it, Paderewski was not known for his technical accuracy, but he was a heart-throb. Apparently, women used to swoon like crazy for him.

I have a CD of him playing and he can also be said to be quite free in taking liberties with the music. However, I think that was quite common in his time.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission