2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,440 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#475999 09/28/06 02:11 AM
G
gabytu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
A friend asked me to describe the difference between tango, rhumba, merenge (sp), and other Spanish dance rhythms. I looked over some sheet music of some tango's, and found that they have different rhythms---probably because they are from different countries. One is from Argentina, and the others are from Cuba I think. Are there any books dealing with this subject? Also, in what way is Salsa different from other Spanish type music? Gaby Tu

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
gabytu,

A tango is a fizzy orange drink, a rhumba (more correctly a rhumbaba) is a small yeast cake soaked in rum, a merenge is made out of beaten egg whites and caster sugar[1], and salsa an often tomato-based sauce often found in Mexican cooking...er, I'm not really helping, am I? smile

-Michael B.
[1] Not to be confused with castor sugar which is often sprinkled underneath the legs of a piano to prevent the wheels marking the flooring below.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
if you listen to each of those dance music, then you'd feel the different rhythms and beats associated with each which would differentiate each from the other pretty easily. i don't know how to describe each by words, but when i hear the music, i know and would dance to it...

G
gabytu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Actually, what my friend wants is a more accurate description, such as the time signatures of each,dance, and how the rhythm is written, (quarter notes, 16th notes etc.)
What she is looking for is a book, or article describing the different tempos of the different dances.

We have found some information, and have learned that one tango rhythm has a 2/4 time signature, and the rhythm in the right hand is consistantly, 16th note, 8th note, 16th note, 8th note, followed by two 16th notes. This is played against 4 eighth notes in the left hand for the first measure, followed by a dotted 8th note, 16th note and two 8th notes in the following measure.
Most of the rhythm changes are in the left hand.

What she wants is to find out the difference between Argentine tango rhythm, as opposed to tangos from other countries, and also the characteristic rhythms of other Latin dances.

Does any one know of any books describing these dances and their rhythms, as well as the history and orgin of the different dances?
My friend teaches an afterschool class in music appreciation (she is a volunteer), to a group of teenagers, and the subject came up there when she was discussing and playing the music of Villa-Lobos, and Ginastera. She turned to me for help, and I am turning to you. Gaby Tu

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
if you search by 'latin dance rhythms', you'd find some links, such as this:
http://d.c.dance.studio.home.mchsi.com/d_c_studio_LATIN_DANCE_RHYTHMS.htm

G
gabytu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks Signa, that gives us a lot of information that will be helpful for my friend.
Gaby Tu

I don't want to complicate matters, but there really aren't straightforward answers to your request. The whole of Latin American music and dance is vast (like the region it comes from), and while generalizations might be made, you'll run into people who will disagree vehemently with your viewpoint. For example, some will say "salsa" is a particular style of music, while others will say it's an all-encompassing moniker that includes many of the popular music and rhythms of the Caribbean (much in the same way the term "jazz" has different connotations for different people). Ballroom dance afficianados (at least from my perspective as a musician) tend to have different concepts of certain dances than your average street dancer. There's confusion between "rhumba" and "rumba", which seems only spelling-related at first glance, but amounts to a big difference in the musical and dance-step expectations of a ballroom dancer and a Cuban club-hopper. And while most people know "merengue" as the 2/4 dance music from the Dominican Republic, there's also the very different Venezuelan merengue in 5/8.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the answers to your request would (or should) encompass a more lengthy study or discussion. To that end, I am not aware of just a single book or article that could aid in this.

www.elclandestinomusic.com

"Moralists have no place in an art gallery" ---Han Suyin

"Paint's not really a great thing to bring into a museum" ---Adam Sorenson, The Shape of Things
G
gabytu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Pianomad, thank you very much for your comments and suggestions. I have been doing a bit of research and found that what you say is true. For example, I learned that there is no fixed rhythm for the Tango. It can be 2/4 time or 3/4 time. I also learned a bit about the history of the various dances, and their derivation from the folk music and gaaucho dances of the various South American countries, as well as African music plus the incorporation into them of traditional Spanish rhythms (Pasodoubles for example), as well as the binary form that many of them take. I also learned about the indetedness of the Brazilian Carioca to the music of Portugal.
It is indeed a fascinating subject, and from the bit that I have learned so far,a very complex one, as you point out.
I listened to the El Clan Destino CD, that you mentioned, and could see how the form of the music would actually mutate from musician to musician.
Looks like my friend and I have a new project, and her students will be thrilled to listen to all these wonderful compositions. They will be amused to learn that the Tango got it start in the Brothels of Argentina, and moved from there into the higher circles of society.Thanks again. Gaby Tu

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There is a difference with Spanish Dance music and Latin and South American dance music.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Spain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_music

The musical roots from Spain and combination of African rhythms helped to create Latin Dance music.

Copy and paste these links for more information.

http://www.formedia.ca/rhythms/glossary.html
http://www.scaruffi.com/history/latin.html
http://faculty.lagcc.cuny.edu/ahernandez/afroots/module3.htm
http://www.si.umich.edu/CHICO/salsa/texts/glossary.html

These are great books to work with. I have them all and they are wonderful.

Carlos Campos: Salsa and Afro Cuban Montunos for Piano
The Salsa Guidebook for Piano & Ensemble
By Rebeca Mauleon

Saudades do Brasil (12), suite of dances for piano, Op. 67 BY Darius Milhaud'

Gilberto-Donato-Zawinul-Ogerman, "The New Sound of Brazil" (for piano), Helios Music (1965).

My last name is Valdivia a Spanish name and my family has its roots is the southwest since the 1700s. I know for some SPANISH, MEXICAN AND LATIN all mean the same but there are many differences and to lump it all together would be misleading especially concerning the music.

G
gabytu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
DPVJAZZ Thank you for the wealth of sources and information. My friend will be very grateful for all the help you have given us. It is a fascinating area for exploration, and her students will learn a lot. Gaby Tu

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you look to the various Latin dance rhythms as they first came to this country (in the 30's) you'll find what you're looking for. Ballroom dancers still use these specific dances but a lot of the terms have been picked up by the general population and are no longer specific in that context. To make matters worse, you have shows like 'Dancing w/the Stars' (which is great entertainment) where a semblence of the traditional dances is performed w/totally unrelated music. Traditional ballroom dancers (and the prestigious competitions) still use the original forms and I think that's what you're looking for.

G
gabytu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks W_Scott. I just got back from the music store where I to broused around in the back in the used section and to my utter delight found some old (used) copies of all kinds of South American, Dominican Republic, Cuban etc. Puerto Rican etc. dances. What a wonderful find. the sheet music, and books are in good condition, and most of them have explanations about the music. I even got two books of dance music that are illustrated by Xavier Cugat. Among the music is a book of Carioca music of Brazil, written by Sylvio Flory, a book of music from Puerto Rico with a 4 page preface with lots of information a book of Boleros written by Pedo Flores, a collection of the works of Lecuona, Cugat, Grenet, Romero, Don Mario, Mriani, 2 volumes of music from the Dominican Republic (lots of merengues, with explanations of the rhythms), several other books containing Rumbas, tangos, etc. a collection of music of Tito Rodrigues, and also some of Charles Gardel (although born in France,lived most of his life in South America. What a find. I just bought everything that was available.
These are all the authentic compostions of the traditional dances, as well as some beautiful songs---which actually could be danced. What surprised me is that the dances all have lyrics as well. Incidentally, they were only $l.00 each--including the books (albums). It sure pays to poke around in the back of the store. Gaby Tu

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sounds like a great find! Be sure to listen to all of the old recordings you can find - even the dance orchestras in old movies where you'll be able to see how people danced to these rhythms. Purist ballroom dancers are still very specific about what each of these terms means and tapes of ballroom competitions will also help. These also sometimes come w/narration that explains the dances and their rhythms. I've been fortunate to have played for ballroom dancing functions and the dances when properly executed are beautiful.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,193
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission