2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#476503 03/22/04 02:11 PM
R
RedTop Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I would very much appreciate comments from those of you familiar with the RCM Celebration series on its suitability for an older (59) beginner who has completed three years of lessons using a number of elementary methods (Bastien, Alfred, Faber, Thompson). I recently finished Thompson's Adult Piano Course Book One and it is now time to decide whether to continue with Thompson or to change to the RCM method. I played a few pieces in the Introductory volume of the Celebration Series and found them challenging, but not impossible. The RCM method appears to be very serious and worthwhile, but is it suitable for an older person learning an instrument for the first time? Are there other methods I should consider? My teacher seems to like to bounce from book to book, while finding a stable path would give my confidence a much needed boost right now. My work ethic is good, but progress is slow. Any advice or comments any of you can offer would be deeply appreciated.

I followed the Alfred books for about a year without a teacher. Then 6 years ago, I got a teacher and started the RCM Celebration series.
I have just finished grade 6. (Didn't take the exams. My teacher advises me when I am ready to advance)

I have absolutely no regrets in doing this. The RCM System is well structured and advances in gradual incruments with numerous pieces to choose from.

I would suggest giving it a try. You can always switch back later.

By the way, I too am 59.

R
RedTop Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you very much for your input Frank. You have accomplished a great deal with the RCM program and I am encouraged by your success. Have you used either the etude/studies books or the workbooks to supplement the repertoire studies? Do you feel they are effective and worthwhile?
I wish you all the best with your piano studies and hope you will stay in touch on this Forum.

I too am doing the RCM books, now also in the grade 6 book. I'm 45 and started playing a few years ago. I think that the books are good, and have introduced me to music that I would not otherwise have played (Kabalevsky). I do use the etude books, but have not used the workbooks.
Having said that, I don't follow the RCM books religiously. I got a hankering to learn Fur Elise last summer, so the RCM got put on hold while I did my little experiment in Beethoven.

Gary,

Yes, I do the etude/studies for each grade. My teacher assigns usually 3 or 4 pieces from the stude/studies book to address any particular weaknesses I have in each particular grade. For example, I have problems in playing "alberti base" at fast speeds, so she assigns me something to address that particular issue.

As you may already know, when you purchase the etude/studies book, it comes with a CD which covers not only the pieces in the etude/studies book, but also the pieces in the repertoire book.
I find this very helpfull in listening to exactly how the pieces should sound.

I have done the work books, however I don't really find them all that helpfull. I did them on my own. The teacher was not involved.

Like Whitby, I too sometimes will learn a piece not in the RCM system.

When I first started piano 6 years ago, I wasn't all that crazy about using the RCM system, because I wasn't what you would call a real classical fan. My teacher suggested I give it a try as I could always switch later. I have to say I have never looked back. I enjoy using this system, and it has given me an appreciation for the classicals which I did not have before.

I hope this helps. Keep us informed, Gary. Good Luck.

RedTop,

I referred to you as Gary, in the above post. Sorry about that. I have no idea where I came up with that name. Keep in touch.

R
RedTop Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks once again for your input Frank. It is reassuring to know how well the program has worked for you. I enjoy all kinds of music, but have drifted toward classical in recent years. The emphasis on the classics in the Celebration Series is a good fit. Guess its time to open up the keyboard and go to work.

Yes, "Gary" was the handle I used on earlier posts, but I switched it to an old nickname that refers to my hair color way back when. Just trying to be a little more internet savvy.

S
S
The RCM Celebration Series is really more a series of books than a "method". Each book is simply a collection of pieces- no explanatory notes regarding techniques or style, etc, so you won't get instructions on how to play. These are probably the best graded series of books out there- its all top-quality music, has a cross section of all style periods (including a fair bit of good jazz) and has enough variety to appeal to anyone. I would say definitely give these books a try- they are by far the easiest way to access lots of good music at each level.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission