Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#477040 - 02/17/08 09:31 PM Four Star Sight-reading
Age_of_Anxiety Offline

Loc: home
Okay, this sight reading book series I've been borrowing one book at a time from my teacher

It goes from book 1 to I believe book 10. The early books are rather short and the ones near 10 are still no more than 100 pages.

The process is to sight read one page of the book a day. In book one you have easy, single staff melodies. In the last one, you have much harder stuff with big arpeggios in the left hand with chords and everything. Stuff not to far below my repertoire level.

I'm guessing that, ideally, it would take no more than 3 years to complete the series going 1 page per day. Each page takes maybe 2 minutes. That's very roughly about 33 hours of sight reading. How can you go from beginner to professional in 33 hours?

The book says "read one page per day."

Does that mean a MAXIMUM of 1 page? as well as a minimum?

I've tried the series. It's not very well paced. It'll be moderato with quarters in C major and three pages later allegretto with eighths in E major.

What do you think?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#477041 - 02/17/08 09:38 PM Re: Four Star Sight-reading
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Don't ruminate too much about the amout of hours.
Sight-reading has a lot to do with learning patterns and so the amount of patterns you get exposed to is more important than the amount of time you spend sight-reading. If a series of sight-reading books tries to cover most patterns then whether you take 10 hours or 100 hours to learn them is rather irrelevant.

More important than how much time you spend doing something is how many days in which you do a bit of that something are spent. Learning happens on a daily basis from one day to the next not on the spot and is not really that dependent on number of hours.

#477042 - 02/17/08 10:13 PM Re: Four Star Sight-reading
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
The books are supplementary material. It's not a complete sight-reading course, it's just a guide that you can use to check yourself as you progress through the Canadian syllabus.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#477043 - 02/17/08 10:26 PM Re: Four Star Sight-reading
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kreisler:
The books are supplementary material. It's not a complete sight-reading course, it's just a guide that you can use to check yourself as you progress through the Canadian syllabus. [/b]
A complete sightreading course - - Is there such a thing??

#477044 - 02/17/08 10:30 PM Re: Four Star Sight-reading
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

There a complete sightreading course by Yoke Wong:

http://www.sightreadingtips.com/

#477045 - 02/17/08 11:39 PM Re: Four Star Sight-reading
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I don't believe such a thing is possible. I'm actually giving a lecture on the subject next month, so I've been thinking a lot about it lately.

Something I was thinking about today is that sight-reading isn't really a skill. It's a particular way in which many different skills come together. Cognitive and motor skills are used, and there's a certain type of focus and concentration that comes into play as well.

When I get a handout put together I'll try to post some stuff here.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#477046 - 02/17/08 11:47 PM Re: Four Star Sight-reading
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sight-reading can be summarized as good keyboard geography plus good elements of music gathering from the printed music.

So a course could focus on these points by teaching daily exercises to improve keyboard geography, theory to better highlight the rhythmic, fingering and pitch elements of the sheet, exercises to learn to read ahead and general peripheral reading methods plus material to practice.

#477047 - 02/18/08 12:05 AM Re: Four Star Sight-reading
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
 Quote:
Something I was thinking about today is that sight-reading isn't really a skill. It's a particular way in which many different skills come together. Cognitive and motor skills are used, and there's a certain type of focus and concentration that comes into play as well.

When I get a handout put together I'll try to post some stuff here.
Such a thing would be very welcome. Please do!

#477048 - 02/18/08 01:55 AM Re: Four Star Sight-reading
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Age_of, your in danger of losing the plot. I've just read through Thomas Roseingrave's entire keyboard output (though not all to speed) to see what he was about. It took a number of hours and I learnt some interesting info.

The need to explore is what drives sight reading not fulfilling a wish to improve on a technical skill.

#477049 - 02/18/08 06:25 AM Re: Four Star Sight-reading
Age_of_Anxiety Offline

Loc: home
Yes, but how can I explore enjoyably without enough skill?

Quote:
The books are supplementary material. It's not a complete sight-reading course, it's just a guide that you can use to check yourself as you progress through the Canadian syllabus. [/b]
I'd have to do 4 hours a day to keep up with their pace.

or more

#477050 - 02/18/08 06:54 AM Re: Four Star Sight-reading
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
 Quote:

When I get a handout put together I'll try to post some stuff here. [/b]
Yes, please!

#477051 - 02/18/08 09:07 AM Re: Four Star Sight-reading
Copake Offline

Loc: Columbia/Westchester Counties ...
I have always considered myself a poor sight reader. I often wonder if I have some cognitive defect that limits how much information my brain can process at one time. I must confess that I don't practice sight-reading and I am never forced into situations where I have to sight-read. I usually learn a piece by carefully working out the fingering first and learning one hand at a time. Still I would like to be more fluent at sight-reading so I can play the four-hand and chamber music literature with other musicians.

These are the situations that cause me the most difficulty:

1. Key signatures with many sharps and flats (especially four or more sharps or flats). Even though I can play all the major and minor scales I often make mistakes in remembering how the key signature "modifies" the information conveyed by the note's position on the staff.

2. Lots of accidentals. For example, I have been learning the Prelude and Fugue in G sharp minor from Book II of the WTC. I calculate there are an average of nearly six accidentals per measure in the prelude. It's driving me crazy!.

3. Notes with more than two ledger lines above or below the great staff. I invariably have to stop and think: 1 is A, 2 is C, 3 is E, etc. I wish I could experience some kind of instant recognition.

4. Chords with more than three notes or unusual chords.

5. Big shifts in hand positions. Looking at the keyboard is fatal when sight-reading.

6. Complex rhythms

7. Strings of notes for which the optimal fingering is not obvious. I have no problem with scales and arpeggios but I can't seem to work out good fingering "on the fly" in situations where a different pattern works better. I often wind up with thumbs on the black keys or I run out of fingers.

8. Unpredictable patterns in both hands at the same time. It's always easier if one hand is playing predictable chords or an Alberti bass but murder if not (e.g. Bach fugues).

I have been trying to break the habit of stopping whenever I make a mistake and correcting the misplayed note. It's not an easy habit to break after so many years but I know it is essential when sight-reading.

#477052 - 02/18/08 12:40 PM Re: Four Star Sight-reading
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

This could easily be a gimmick, the pieces
all carefully selected to be relatively
easy to read (fall under the fingers well,
very harmonious to the ear, etc.), all
of them below your level so that you can
handle them with no real problem, etc.

Thus, you spend three effortless years on
it, marveling at how well you're doing,
but you're actually not accomplishing anything,
because the material is what you can already
handle.

#477053 - 02/18/08 01:53 PM Re: Four Star Sight-reading
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gyro:
This could easily be a gimmick, the pieces
all carefully selected to be relatively
easy to read (fall under the fingers well,
very harmonious to the ear, etc.), all
of them below your level so that you can
handle them with no real problem, etc.

Thus, you spend three effortless years on
it, marveling at how well you're doing,
but you're actually not accomplishing anything,
because the material is what you can already
handle. [/b]
If it is meant for beginners to advantaged, then a beginner sight-reader has even problems with a single right hand and five fingers melodic line.
Hence if they start from that level they start from the level each beginner is at. It's up to the student to understand his/her level and accordingly start with the proper volume.
Anyway sight-reading material should always be way way below one's playing and practicing level.

#477054 - 02/18/08 09:09 PM Re: Four Star Sight-reading
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
 Quote:
Originally posted by Copake:
I have always considered myself a poor sight reader. I often wonder if I have some cognitive defect that limits how much information my brain can process at one time.

I must confess that I don't practice sight-reading and I am never forced into situations where I have to sight-read. [/b]
These things are related, as you probably realise.
Your list of difficulties is pretty much what most people would have some trouble with. What you actually need to do is play music that's a bit easier - just play through it, regularly.
And what Keyboardklutz says is very important:
"The need to explore is what drives sight reading, not fulfilling a wish to improve on a technical skill."[/b]
Just play through music - with a desire to find out what it's like. The skills will develop, but you can't expect it to happen all at once. And think of all the music you'll discover on the way.

And Gyro has again missed the point of using easier material to sightread. You actually increase the difficulty gradually, not just keep playing at the easiest level for ever.

#477055 - 02/19/08 12:48 AM Re: Four Star Sight-reading
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest
 Quote:
Originally posted by Copake:
I have always considered myself a poor sight reader. I often wonder if I have some cognitive defect that limits how much information my brain can process at one time. I must confess that I don't practice sight-reading and I am never forced into situations where I have to sight-read. I usually learn a piece by carefully working out the fingering first and learning one hand at a time. Still I would like to be more fluent at sight-reading so I can play the four-hand and chamber music literature with other musicians.

These are the situations that cause me the most difficulty:

1. Key signatures with many sharps and flats (especially four or more sharps or flats). Even though I can play all the major and minor scales I often make mistakes in remembering how the key signature "modifies" the information conveyed by the note's position on the staff.

2. Lots of accidentals. For example, I have been learning the Prelude and Fugue in G sharp minor from Book II of the WTC. I calculate there are an average of nearly six accidentals per measure in the prelude. It's driving me crazy!.

3. Notes with more than two ledger lines above or below the great staff. I invariably have to stop and think: 1 is A, 2 is C, 3 is E, etc. I wish I could experience some kind of instant recognition.

4. Chords with more than three notes or unusual chords.

5. Big shifts in hand positions. Looking at the keyboard is fatal when sight-reading.

6. Complex rhythms

7. Strings of notes for which the optimal fingering is not obvious. I have no problem with scales and arpeggios but I can't seem to work out good fingering "on the fly" in situations where a different pattern works better. I often wind up with thumbs on the black keys or I run out of fingers.

8. Unpredictable patterns in both hands at the same time. It's always easier if one hand is playing predictable chords or an Alberti bass but murder if not (e.g. Bach fugues).

I have been trying to break the habit of stopping whenever I make a mistake and correcting the misplayed note. It's not an easy habit to break after so many years but I know it is essential when sight-reading. [/b]
I like your list. It is everything problematic that goes along with sightreading, pretty much. I first would:

1.) Know your scales. All of them. Really well. This takes time. This way you are not terrified by the sight of seven flats. Instead you can just think of it as the scale of Cb Major or Ab minor. Knowing what 2 white keys to play.

2.) Also knowing your chords in different postitions.

3.) Reading really slowly so you have time to look ahead and for your brain to connect to your fingers. If you're making mistakes, you are going too fast.

4.) Practicing rhythms outside of reading music. Buy yourself a rhythm book and clap and count the rhythms.

5.) Find yourself a good sight reading book. I particularly do not care for the Four Star Series. I like Line a Day by Bastien. Practice using the fingering in the book. Start with the first book, no matter how easy and continue through the four books. Also start reading Czerny's 100 Recreations for the Piano.
Mostly in the keys of C, G and F. When you master one, practice transposing the piece into other keys.

Hope this helps! Happy Sightreading!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
148 registered (A Guy, Al LaPorte, Almaviva, ABC Vermonter, accordeur, ando, 41 invisible), 1453 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153690 Topics
2252942 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
04/23/14 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
04/23/14 10:00 PM
Canadian pricing for Kawai MP11?
by GWILLY
04/23/14 09:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission