2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 13 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
ecm Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Hi.

I really need someone that speaks German.
Can you translate this for me, if you can?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxHSX-Erj7I

Thanks.

R
R
I can give it a shot tonight.

Will you give me as a reward your personal opinions about Bartók, especially of course his piano music, like his sonata, Out of doors suite and concertos?

Robert Kenessy

.. it seems to me that the inherent nature [of the piano tone] becomes really expressive only by means of the present tendency to use the piano as a percussion instrument - Béla Bartók, early 1927.
E
ecm Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Of course.
Thanks again.

R
R
Here is the translation of the first half:

0:00 'a genius' that's how the pianist marta argerich judged at the chopin competition in warsaw in 1980 about the young yugoslav pianist ivo pogorelich. since then he has fascinated and annoyed the music world. a memorable personality. an artist who seems to stage every performance, who seems to love and know performance as well as playing piano.
0:26 Wolfgang Habisch has visited Ivo pogorelich.
0:32 thundering applause for Ivo pogorelich at his london concert last week. the young star has won his audience over again.

1:23 His touch is fenomenal, absolutely overwhelming.
of course we admire him
I think he is something really different from other pianists. it's wonderfull to hear him.
1:42 I think his interpretations are even better than his technique.whether I admire him? what a stupid question.
the unlimited admiration is for a pianist who is also highly regarded in criticisms in which not only his achievements on the piano and his interpretation art aer described, but also too often about his excentricity and physical appearance. This image has been promoted by advertisements: an intellectual artist who should seem sensitive and fragile. and this advertisement concept works. his records sell better than those of his colleagues.
2:23 record companies are very happy with more recordings.
2:36 In the london quarter 'west end' lives the jugoslav pianist since his move to the west, according to his status, in a luxurious house.
at my visit I am struck by the strong Ivo pogorelich who doesn't fit the standard image. helped by pictures he talks briefly about his biography. born in '68 in belgrade, played piano at 7, sent to moscow at 12, reaches in 1981 his international breakthrough.

right at the start of my interview with him, he tells me that his private live has to stay a taboo. I think private should be private. the record industry has gotten in the last few years 4 records from me. that's enough. I asked shouldn't they get more? he said yes, but I want to reach a certain quality and do not want to make compromises
3:47

feel free to give an honest opinion on Bartók, I know he is not liked very much by many.

Robert Kenessy

.. it seems to me that the inherent nature [of the piano tone] becomes really expressive only by means of the present tendency to use the piano as a percussion instrument - Béla Bartók, early 1927.
E
ecm Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Wow, that's great, thanks. If you can translate the rest later please.
I will give you my opinion on Bartok a little later I have to go out now.

Ok, thanks again! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Interesting person and artist this Pogorelich, thanks for posting.

But I am quite sure the interviewer says he was born in '58 in Belgrade (not '68, he would then have made his international brakethrough at 13 )

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
E
ecm Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Robert I am sending you a private message about Bartok.

R
R
3:47 "I also think it's more fun to go to a concert by someone who is young and attractive". With that, he makes it known that he is very well aware of the conditions of his success and he acknowlegdes them. The image of the young genius that was set by Marta Argerich is nourished this way, and for that nowadays not only excellent playing is needed.

5:11 'Geniuses develop themselves only on the other side of borders', is said. This line is important to Pogorelich. That one can also make money by playing piano is very confusing for him. [Robert Kenessey: I don't understand this well]

The first point of my work is the work by itself, the money comes in second place.

6:00 At such a high value of his work, it is not possible to have a normal family live. But for that, others suffer. His previous teacher from Moscow, whom he maried in 1980, has given up her carreer for him. Her world is his music, as she puts it. And thereby it leaves for her the cliché 'place at his breast'

6:25 what he thinks about politics I want to know.
I don't bother myself with that. I am to busy with art, and next to that I think that the people who mix the two are losers in both.
And what does he think of the image that the press gives of him?
I don't know. In every carreer there are things that one likes and that one doens't. I actually don't want to talk about that. Because I can't control it.
But do you try to control it?
I don't think so. The image can lead its own life in peace. I just try to keep everything at a distance that could influence my work and that is already hard enough.
What happened in your life besides work in the last years?
Nothing at all, there was only work.

7:30 That's how forced things are rather like business accidents to him and my interview with the genius is suddenly stopped for an emergency tooth treatment. A genius that can play very well but above that sells really well. That's the whole secret of his success.

8:40 He isn't yet well by the way, he is still in the hospital. He got a hepatitis infection on top of that. So his German tour that would have started today on March 1st starts on the 12th instead. [of what year?]

Interesting interview! I think he plays well, his physical appearance is not a major factor for me, but maybe for women (anyone?...). I think he was quite stupid to marry his piano teacher. she could be his grandmother. Not a 'bond made in heaven' I presume.

So dino, are you a big fan of his? Is he especially liked in former Yugoslav Republics?

I have an impression of your keyboard skills from your website and your upcoming concerto. So as to Bartók, you can easily play anything he composed. I would advice the 'Out of doors' suite. Otherwise the sonata. There is a performance on youtube of the Sonata by kocsis (just search for 'bartok sonata kocsis'). I am working on this right now and it is not even that hard. If you liked profieff 7th (which is in your repertoir, you are apt to like this sonata as well). Otherwise his Suite op. 14 is nice, but the first and third movements are heavily influced by folk music (like his Sonatina you liked a lot).
Too bad Bartók didn't write much solo piano work in his two last decades when his style was more accessible again. His great 3rd piano concerto and sonata for 2 piano's and percussion are from his last period. Unless you want to try the last 2 books of Mikrokosmos, I suggest the 'Out of doors' suite. Especially the 4th movement which is a modern nocturne. ENJOY!

the movements in English are called:
1) With drums and pipes
2) Barcarolla
3) Musettes (type of small bagpipe)
4) The night's music
5) The Chase

you can find it here, remove the spaces:
http://imslp.org/wiki/ Out_of_Doors_%28Szabadban%29%2C_Sz.81_%28Bart%C3%B3k%2C_B%C3%A9la%29

Robert Kenessy

E
ecm Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Robert, thanks again very very much!
Yes, I am a huge fan of Pogorelich.
He was/is very popular in the former Yugoslav republics!

However, he never played in my country, and I can't wait to see him live if he ever comes.
Thanks for visiting my website, you should check myspace profile which I update more.

I have an upcoming performance with the Macedonian Philharmonic Orchestra.

I love Prok's 7th sonata, so I guess I can comprehend Bartok. smile
I do like modern music after all.

Ok, again thanks for writing.
Oh, and, I meant I like his SONATA not SONATINE sorry my mistake, and the version of it that is on youtube.com played by Kocsis.

Ok, all the best, and thanks again.

Dino

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission