2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Are these two tempos the same? The reason I am asking this is because I looked the terms up in a music dictionary and they both said they were between Andante and Allegro. And a second definition for Allegretto stated a, short piece played fast.

I have started learning the Haydn sonata no.31 in E major and the first movement is marked Moderato and the second is Allegretto. Well, I was watching Marc-Andre Hamelin's performance on his new dvd and it seems he takes the second movement about the same tempo. So, are these two tempo markings the same?

Thanks

Mike

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Mike,

When I was researching Beethoven Op54, it would appear that the term allegretto has not always meant the same thing, and gradually 'got faster' as time went by, and became a lot closer to allegro than to andante. E.g. Charles Rosen asserts that many pianists play the 2nd movt of Op54 far too fast, as they are applying the later interpretation of the term rather than what LvB intended in 1804 for that particular piece. He supports his theory with numerous examples of where a faster tempo blurs certain subtleties and transitions in the work, as well as countering other indications (e.g. the two initial dolce directions) which mean the piece becomes rather garbled at faster speeds.

Also, as well as being a tempo indication, allegretto is also one of mood, usually being one of graceful cheerfulness, though not quite as playful as giocoso would be, for example. So even if a performer were to interpret allegretto and moderato to be approximately the same tempo, there would probably still be a notable difference in the character of the piece.

Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Beethoven Tempest 3rd movement is allegretto, but many play it as allegro, and some even faster. i like it fast, but not that fast.

R
R
I think allegretto means 'a bit allegro', allegro meaning fast. Moderato means approximately 'moderate', although moderato is a perfect tense (is "moderated" english?).
I would therefore regard allegretto as faster. I strongly agree with the mood annotation about graceful cheerfulness, for example the last movement of Beethoven's sixth symphony.

Robert Kenessy

.. it seems to me that the inherent nature [of the piano tone] becomes really expressive only by means of the present tendency to use the piano as a percussion instrument - Béla Bartók, early 1927.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Moderato is strictly tempo: moderate speed, slower than allegro, faster than andante (which is the "walking speed"). Allegro is moderately fast, and also indicates a character or mood. Allegretto is *slightly less fast* than allegro. My music dictionary says that it often implies a lighter texture or character. The word allegro means "cheerful". Tempo markings often also imply mood.

** Edit: Correction - I wrote "faster" originally. Thanks for the correction PoSt.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
keystring:
Allegretto is faster than allegro

Er no, it isn't[1]. Not even once it got faster smile . Allegretto of course means "little allegro" being an Italian diminutive[2], and was originally fairly 'not fast,' e.g. minuet movements were often marked allegretto, and as we all know, minuets weren't the quickest dances on the planet.

Allegro is moderately fast

Allegro is usually translated as 'fast and lively.' OK, not as fast as presto (or indeed prestissimo), but still a good step up from andante, moderato or allegretto. Of course, combination likes allegro moderato require a little more thought and discretion on the part of the performer wink .

-Michael B.
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempo
[2] c.f. andantino

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
Thanks for the correction, PoSt. I should not try to read dictionaries this early in the morning.

If Moderato is a bit slower than allegro, and allegretto is a bit slower than moderato, are allegretto and moderato almost the same tempo, but allegretto has the light mood while moderato doesn't necessarily?

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
A tempo marking is always in relation to the piece to which it belongs, and it isn't particularly useful to think of it relative to other tempo indications that the composer didn't use. For example, a pianist might choose exactly the same absolute speed (in terms of beats per minute) for the opening allegro of Beethoven's G major sonata, op. 14, no. 2 and for the allegretto rondo of his op. 22, and have that be a perfectly viable choice. In other words, an allegro may not necessarily be "faster" than an allegretto, in real terms; it all depends on the piece under consideration.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission