2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
As far as technical difficulty is concerned, I'm curious as to how you would rank these pianists. Most challenging works to least challenging (Not to belittle any one of them, this is stricktly curiosity).

I would rank them:

1. Rachmaninoff
2. Liszt
3. Chopin

How about you.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is never enough for music." Sergei Rachmaninoff.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'd say about the same.

The clown is watching you.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
In what really mattered to him, Rachmaninoff was by far the best auto mechanic.

Semipro Tech
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'd agree. Curiously, it lines up in order of hand size, largest (Rachmaninoff) to smallest (Chopin).

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I think it's more difficult to play Liszt well...but at that point, I think we're arguing semantics. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
yeah id say
1.liszt
2 rachmaninov
3 chopin

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Liszt
Chopin
Rachmaninov

R
R
Speaking of hand sizes, is it true that Rachmaninoff could reach a 14th? I've heared this a few times and am not positive if it's true.

Once during a concert at Carnegie Hall, the violinist Rachmaninoff was playing with lost his place in the music and whispered to Rachmaninoff, "Where are we?" Rachmaninoff replied, in all seriousness, "Carnegie Hall".
Rachmaninoff
Liszt
Chopin

I've also have heard that Rachmaninoff could reach a 14th but I'm also nut sure if it is true.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
My Dad's got absolutely HUGE hands (that he didn't quite pass on to me), and he can comfortably span an eleventh. A twelfth is his stretch limit. And I've seen him put his hand in a gorilla's hand print, and they were about the same size (except the gorilla's fingers were thicker). Then I've seen him put his hand in Andre the Giant's hand print, and it was dwarfed. So, there are some extraordinarily huge hands out there.

The most I've ever heard for Rachmaninoff, however, was a 13th (C to A).

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
K
K
1.Liszt
2.Rachmaninov
3.Chopin

kreso
OP Offline
He could do a 12th fairly comfortably and stretch a 13th.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is never enough for music." Sergei Rachmaninoff.
OP Offline
I'd say liszt is a heck-of-a-lot more showy for sure, but as far as physical difficulty I have to hand it to Rachmaninoff.

You guys should start giving some examples of some of their difficult works.

Chopin may not have the hardest music to play out of these three, but he has the BEST music, followed by Liszt and then Rachmaninov.

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed - Einstein
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Appassionata Sonata:
You guys should start giving some examples of some of their difficult works.

Chopin may not have the hardest music out of these three, but he has the BEST music. Followed by Liszt and then Rachmaninov.
Unfortunately, while "difficulty" is relatively objective with some subjective qualities (personal technical preferences), "quality" ("best/worst") is entirely a subjective matter. wink

Originally posted by Derulux:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Appassionata Sonata:
[qb] You guys should start giving some examples of some of their difficult works.

Chopin may not have the hardest music out of these three, but he has the BEST music. Followed by Liszt and then Rachmaninov.
Unfortunately, while "difficulty" is relatively objective with some subjective qualities (personal technical preferences), "quality" ("best/worst") is entirely a subjective matter.

Yeah, but Chopin is the most popular out of these three.

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed - Einstein
H
H
Best music I'd judge Chopin, Rachmaninoff, then Liszt.

As for who is more popular Liszt or Rachmaninoff I wonder, would be a good question. Maybe equal. But Chopin is definitely more popular than both of them I should think.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I'd actually be tempted to put Liszt ahead of Rachmaninoff, purely for the 1837 Transcendental Etudes, and the 1838 Paganini Etudes. Rachmaninoff wrote a lot of incredibly difficult material, but a lot of it is performed regularly.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I think Liszt is ahead of Rachmaninoff in terms of mass popularity purely for his Hungarian No 2 than for anything else. (aka- "Tom and Jerry") wink

But I'd put the Rhapsodies and Paganini Etudes up for the running right alongside Rachmaninoff's 2nd/3rd concerti and preludes.

In the "classical world" only, it's probably between the Hungarian No 2 and the C#m prelude for "most popular piece by either composer". But Rachmaninoff has the concerti category easily won...and by a long shot (because he's got the top two slots)...over the rest of the composing world (except maybe for Tchaikovsky's 1st and Beethoven's 5th "Emperor").

So, even then, there's a good deal of ambiguity. We'd need some sales information to decide definitively, and even then, if you take into account popularity separate from sales (as in, "customers happy with their merchandise"), that's a whole 'nother category. wink

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
1.Chopin
2.Liszt
3.Rachmaninov

of course.....

Kawai ES-110

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is never enough for music."
-Sergei Rachmaninoff.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission