Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#481040 - 03/05/06 05:11 PM Re: Rachmaninoff vs. Chopin vs. Liszt?
Max W Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: RHUL
I thought the 2nd and 3rd Mephisto Waltes were orchestral! *is confused*

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#481041 - 03/05/06 06:00 PM Re: Rachmaninoff vs. Chopin vs. Liszt?
IpsoPhatso Offline

When it comes to popularity, what are you speaking of? Do you mean popular as in how the general public would recongnize the theme? Or taking it a step further, and can the general public name the piece and composer as well.

If we are talking about JUST recongnizing the theme, I'd say Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody #2 is right there at the top. If we are talking about actually naming the piece/composer, as well as recongnizing the theme, then I'd say Fur Elise is at the top. Everybody knows that's Beethoven.

Anyway, as for the original topic, I'd say Liszt, then Rach, then Chopin.

#481042 - 03/05/06 07:07 PM Re: Rachmaninoff vs. Chopin vs. Liszt?
Heretic Offline

I agree ipso, I doubt anyone can name the Hungarian Rhapsody #2 or who composed it but most have heard the actual theme as opposed to fur elise which most people can also name.
But then again many of the other popular pieces most people wouldn't be able to name either such as Mozart's 40th, k. 545, 1812, William Tell, Queen of the Night Aria, Bach Toccata, etc, etc, almost none of those pieces would be actually identifiable by people by name AND composer.

#481043 - 03/05/06 08:57 PM Re: Rachmaninoff vs. Chopin vs. Liszt?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
 Quote:
BTW, I would be interested in hearing some well-prepared Liszt by you, particularly some less played work(s), like the third Mephisto Waltz (which I still haven't heard)...
*laughs* So would I! :p ;\)

I'm working with Rachmaninoff right now (several preludes), and I think Chopin is next, but I'll see if I can't get Liszt into the rotation. (It'll take some convincing to get my teacher "on board"...but we'll see. ;\) )

(And which Liszt were you referring to? <---Now I'm curious. ;\) )

#481044 - 03/05/06 09:22 PM Re: Rachmaninoff vs. Chopin vs. Liszt?
C.V. Alkan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
I think Rachmaninoffs Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini 18th variation is probably better known by audiences then either the 2nd or 3rd concerti.

Difficulty of the composer's works:

1. Liszt - Rachmaninoff never wrote anything as difficult as the Beethoven Symphony Transcriptions, a few of the Transcendental Etudes, Some of the opera transcriptions (Norma, Don Juan, etc.), the Hexameron, etc.

2. Rachmaninoff

3. Chopin

The difficulty of their works, however, is utterly unimportant. When it comes to who's music I prefer, I'm kinda at a loss. I think Liszt is probably my favorite composer though. Ask me this time next week and I may say Rachmaninoff or Chopin.

Although it is a touchy and subjective subject, the question of who was the most influential or "greatest" composer is also important. I would say Liszt is the most influential because:

1. He created the idea of a "concert pianist". Before him, solo piano recitals (As you all know, he also coined the term "recital") where the pianist plays for a large crowd were almost non-existent.

2. He arguably played the most instrumental role in bringing Beethoven's music back to popularity.

3. He taught many of the great composers of the 19th century and is partly responsible for many of their greatest compositions (ex: Tchaikowsky's 1st concerto). He was also one of Rachmaninoffs biggest influences.

4. He was a far more prolific composer than either Rachmaninoff or Chopin.

#481045 - 03/05/06 09:24 PM Re: Rachmaninoff vs. Chopin vs. Liszt?
C.V. Alkan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
*delete

#481046 - 03/05/06 10:07 PM Re: Rachmaninoff vs. Chopin vs. Liszt?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

All you gotta do is say, "Liszt is the guy who turned the piano sideways," and I'll vote for him. :p ;\)

#481047 - 03/05/06 10:58 PM Re: Rachmaninoff vs. Chopin vs. Liszt?
Appassionata Sonata Offline

Liszt was also influential in other ways that Zack didn't mention. - He was the inventor of Impressionism and atonal music.

#481048 - 03/06/06 03:05 AM Re: Rachmaninoff vs. Chopin vs. Liszt?
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Re 3rd Mephisto Waltz... First of all, Andsnes' Liszt album contains the 2nd and the 4th, so those I've heard played with the piano (haven't heard them in their possible/conceivable orchestral form)...

I know the 3rd exists as a piano version... Whether it is an original piano composition, or a transcription by Liszt himself (which it would otherwise be), I don't know, but talking about Liszt, I don't think it really matters (his orchestral writing was rather pianistic, like Beethoven's (and quite unlike Wagner's), and his different versions of his own works tended to differ remarkably from each other anyhow, which signify that the 3rd is probably not just a good piece for piano, but also could be thought of as an independent composition for piano (even if it is a transcription, that is)).

#481049 - 03/06/06 09:10 AM Re: Rachmaninoff vs. Chopin vs. Liszt?
jpw101 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
The third and fourth Mephisto Waltzes exist as solo piano pieces only, the first and second have orchestral and piano-duet counterparts too.

The third is a brilliant piece, well worth learning. Shame it's not recorded and performed more often. John Ogdon wrote:

"The Third 'Mephisto' Waltz (1883) is a finely wrought, ardent tone-poem whose unusual chord structures foreshadow Scriabin. Liszt's harmonic, scalic and melodic experiments are magnificently integrated in this work, while the piano writing has a sulphuric fitfulness which deservedly ranks the piece with its more famous predecessor."

#481050 - 03/06/06 11:13 AM Re: Rachmaninoff vs. Chopin vs. Liszt?
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
 Quote:
All you gotta do is say, "Liszt is the guy who turned the piano sideways," and I'll vote for him.
That was Dussek.

#481051 - 03/06/06 03:25 PM Re: Rachmaninoff vs. Chopin vs. Liszt?
Stormcrow Offline

I read that one of Liszt's students stated that he could only stretch about a tenth.

#481052 - 03/06/06 04:06 PM Re: Rachmaninoff vs. Chopin vs. Liszt?
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Speaking of composers, which Liszt influenced as a composer... Liszt was a crucial influence on Wagner (btw, Wagner wrote a long praise about Liszt's Dante Symphony), a major influence on Richard Strauss, and a significant influence on Bartok (Totentanz should be mentioned here . . . inventive and influential instrumentation, and a wonderful piece), and Busoni (and whom else? Shönberg? Scriabin?)...

#481053 - 03/06/06 08:16 PM Re: Rachmaninoff vs. Chopin vs. Liszt?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BDB:
 Quote:
All you gotta do is say, "Liszt is the guy who turned the piano sideways," and I'll vote for him.
That was Dussek. [/b]
Then I suppose I can't vote for him....

#481054 - 03/07/06 05:49 AM Re: Rachmaninoff vs. Chopin vs. Liszt?
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

According to Louis Spohr (according to Wikipedia)... But wasn't Liszt the guy who made it popular (and had he even heard about Dussek?)?

#481055 - 03/07/06 06:00 AM Re: Rachmaninoff vs. Chopin vs. Liszt?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I thought so, too...

#481056 - 03/07/06 07:49 AM Re: Rachmaninoff vs. Chopin vs. Liszt?
jpw101 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
In Alan Walker's biography, there is this footnote:
 Quote:

Tomasek, in his autobiography, claimed that Dussek had already positioned his piano in this way, the better to show off his beautiful profile. Dussek did not do this consistently, however, and in any case his career had no lasting impact on the history of piano playing. Liszt appears to have been unaware of Dussek's tentative reforms when he came to the conclusion that one must not only play the piano but "play the building," and to that end he experimented with the placement of the instrument until he got it right.[/b]

#481057 - 03/07/06 09:07 AM Re: Rachmaninoff vs. Chopin vs. Liszt?
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ah, thanks jpw, I had forgotten that...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
159 registered (Alex Hernandez, A Guy, Almaviva, 47 invisible), 1722 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153586 Topics
2250922 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Etude in G
by Polyphonist
Today at 03:58 PM
A Piano Song With Notes In It
by Ritzycat
Today at 03:51 PM
Playing the piano again
by Mr.Wolf
Today at 03:47 PM
27/16 time signature!
by Polyphonist
Today at 03:46 PM
Three great pianists/teachers celebrate the same birthday!
by music32
Today at 03:41 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission