2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
Hello,

I was wondering what peoples thoughts might be on the relative difficulty from these two Nocurnes by Chopin, First, the one I can play (note perfect most times): Op 9 No 2 (3 flats - and very well-know piece), and Nocturne Op 27 NO 2 (5 flats).

I want to learn this nocturne op 27 #2, but wondering if its too hard for me to play (I don't do lessons/grades, but have played Grade 8 pieces before - and many a while ago tackled a ballade). What Grade would this be?, and how difficult in comparison to the OP 9 is it?.

I've had a look through the music, and as well the "48" notes (to 12 quavers) , the piece as a whole looks quite difficult - but is it "MUCH" harder than the OP 9 (which i can play with "room" to spare).

What is the Grade of the Nocturne I play At the moment (Op9) (not seen it in a grade listing)

TIA smile

Antonio

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Antonion ;

In the RCM syllabus, the Op 9 No 2 Nocturne is Grade 9 - possibly Grade 5 or 6 in the ABRSM, but the Op 27 No 2 is diploma level.

The Db major Nocturne is considerably more difficult than the rather straightforward Op 9 No 2 on so many levels, techical and interpretive. I don't think it would be a logical next step after the Op 9 No 2.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks Bruce - I still want to learn it though! (my Dad perfected it).

Would be interested in a list of Nocturnes; and there "difficulty" Rating, like:

1.Op 15 No 2 Grade <8>
2.Op 9 No 3 Grade <10>

(From people who play them/all Etc - ) smile

Antonio

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
As far as grading is concerned - a fairly relative categorization - I can only offer what RCM (Canada) has in its syllabus for the Nocturnes. Remember that RCM goes from Grade 1 to Grade 10, then the ARCT diploma.

Grade 8:
Nocturne in G minor, Op 15, No 3

Grade 9:
Nocturne in Eb major, Op 9, No 2
Nocturne in B major, Op 32, No 1
Nocturne in G minor, Op 37, No 1
Nocturne in F minor, Op 55, No 1
Nocturne in C# minor, No 20 (Op. Posth.)

Grade 10:
Nocturne in Bb minor, Op 9, No 1
Nocturne in F major, Op 15, No 1
Nocturne in F sharp major, Op 15, No 2
Nocturne in Ab major, Op 32, No 2
Nocturne in E minor, Op 72, No 1

ARCT :
Nocturne in C# minor, Op 27, No 1
Nocturne in Db major, Op 27, No 2
Nocturne in G major, Op 37, No 2
Nocturne in C minor, Op 48, No 1
Nocturne in Eb major, Op 55, No 2
Nocturne in B major, Op 62, No 1

I hope this helps to give you some idea of the relative difficulty of the Nocturnes.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Where do you find these lists of grades? I'm from New York, so we have a NYSSMA level thing, but that's way screwed up. There are only six levels, and Level six contains both Rustles of Spring and Rach Prelude in G minor. I think it would be really useful when I find a piece I like to be able to formulate a way to move up to it.

Piano Hero Encore Rocks the 1800s!

Current Assignments:
Bach Prelude and Fugue in Bb Maj, D min, and C Maj from Bk I
Mozart Sonata K.280
Brahms Rhapsody Op. 79 No. 2
Bartok Six Roumanian Folk Dances
Prokofieff Visions Fugitives Op. 22

I'm going to Ithaca! Yay!!!
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by thepianist2008:
Where do you find these lists of grades? I'm from New York, so we have a NYSSMA level thing, but that's way screwed up. There are only six levels, and Level six contains both Rustles of Spring and Rach Prelude in G minor. I think it would be really useful when I find a piece I like to be able to formulate a way to move up to it.
thepianist2008:

Whenever I respond to questions concerning the grade-level of a piece, I am referring to the current piano examination syllabus of the Royal Conservatory of Music (Toronto). It is always a very handy reference for indicating the relative level of difficulty of compared pieces when taken in its context, that being that the grading system goes from Grade 1 to Grade 10, followed by the Performer's and/or Teacher's diploma examination, called the ARCT exam.

It is also quite comprehensive; by the time one gets to the Grade 10 list of examination pieces, there are some 20, 30, 40, or even more than 50 pieces from the standard repertoire in each of five categories: A: Bach; B: Classical Sonatas; C: Romantic Repertoire; D: 20th-century Repertoire; E: (later) 20th-century repertoire.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Antonio, as you are based in the UK perhaps it would help for you to have the approximate British grades. In Eleanor Bailie's "Pianist's Repertoire: Chopin - a graded practical guide" she lists 9/2 as grade 7 and 27/2 as grade 8. I have generally found her estimations to be fairly accurate, given that it's really rather subjective.

I hope you enjoy both of these gorgeous Preludes and will let us hear a recording of your final version on the "Devoted to Chopin" thread on the Adult Beginners' Forum. Happy playing!

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the listings. I think the British version of ARCT Dipoma is the Licentiate of the Royal Schools of Music Or LRSM/FRSM.

Regards

Antonio

I can play nocturne op 9 no 2 and it's one of my favourites... as an ABRSM candidate I would personaly put it at grade 6 (atleast)and as Bruce rightly said the op 27 is no easy ride.. I think you should take an easyer nocturne first, aslong as you are in no rush... and even if you are in some sort of "rush" you have to think about the end result, you may play it well enough... but they'l be a niggle at the back of you mind that will keep telling you "what if I learnt this with more experiance, better technique etc etc" I think another beautiful nocturne and possibly MY very favourite is the op. posth C# minor....

Cheers TE

"I Think Therefore I Am." - Rene Descartes
F
F
I agree that Op 27, #2 is much more difficult. I have played both, and although I can play Op 27 pretty well, it took quite awhile, with some breaks in between while my playing improved. I would pick an easier one first.

T
T
The Royal College of Music in London has three post-grade 8 ABRSM levels: the Associate, Licenciate and Fellow of the college, each requiring more of the musician. I would put Op 27 no. 2 at a difficult grade 8 ABRSM level or possibly the old 'advanced level' of the ABRSM which I think has now been scrapped. It is easier than any of the Chopin ballades.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Thanks for the listings. I think the British version of ARCT Dipoma is the Licentiate of the Royal Schools of Music Or LRSM/FRSM.
nope, you are mistaken. The ABRSM Dip,LRSM and FRSM all make up the ARCT Dip.

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Amelialw:
nope, you are mistaken. The ABRSM Dip,LRSM and FRSM all make up the ARCT Dip.
Amelia :

I'm not sure what you are saying here. The ABRSM, LRSM and FRSM all all British diplomas and the ARCT is a Canadian diploma. How can the British diplomas "all make up" the ARCT diploma?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
sorry, I answered in the wrong way. The ARCT performer's exam is equivalent of the ABRSM Dip, LRSM and FRSM exam.

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Amelialw:
sorry, I answered in the wrong way. The is equivalent of the ABRSM Dip, LRSM and FRSM exam.
That doesn't make sense either. DipABRSM, LRSM and FRSM are different levels or standards of award; and they can each take different forms - teaching or performing etc. The "ARCT performer's exam" can't possibly be equivalent to all of that. Unless, of course you mean something like, "In Britain they have DipABRSM, LRSM and FRSM, while here in Canada we have the ARCT performers' exam." That might approximate to what you mean.

John

Vasa inania multum strepunt.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
John :

Amelia also didn't clarify that the Royal Conservatory of Music's (Toronto) ARCT examination can be:
- Performer's ARCT
- Teacher's ARCT
and that the requirements are distinct for each examination and clearly pointed out in the Syllabus.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
B
Where do folks think Op. 48 No. 2 would fall? It's not in the list that BruceD posted. It's my favorite Nocturne.

Bob Runyan, RPT
Chico, CA
www.runyanpiano.com
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by bobrunyan:
Where do folks think Op. 48 No. 2 would fall? It's not in the list that BruceD posted. It's my favorite Nocturne.
I would say that it's every bit as difficult as anything in the Grade 10 list, and more difficult than some.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
P
chopin's nocturne, 27/2, is, i think, a little piece of heaven

pieces currently working on:

Chopin waltz #3 a minor
Chopin waltz #7 c sharp minor
Beethoven sonata #8 "Pathetique"
Augustan Club waltz by Joplin
Harmony Club waltz by Joplin
Chopin nocturne #8 in d flat
Chopin nocturne #1 in b flat minor
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What does the RCM grade the op62 no2 as?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission