Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
123 registered (accordeur, A Guy, anotherscott, anamnesis, 52 invisible), 1829 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#483505 - 11/03/08 11:53 AM Ligeti - L'escalier du Diable
Shosty Offline

Hey everyone. I've been working on The Devil's Staircase for a number of months and I had to record it to send it in for Pre-screening for Master's Auditions. It took me the entire summer just to learn the notes, so getting it to the level that I'm able to record it is a huge accomplishment for me.

It's not perfect, but I've spent the last two days and this is the best take that I have. I thought that some of you might be interested, just because it's Ligeti.

Enjoy!

http://www.box.net/shared/8uy97x1r8f

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#483506 - 11/03/08 04:59 PM Re: Ligeti - L'escalier du Diable
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

I'm no Ligeti expert, but it sounded good to me.

You must have a nice recording setup. The sound was clear with excellent dynamics. But what happened in that extended passage in the upper register? It sounded like it was in another room.

Great job, IMHO!

PS--what piano did you record this on? Sounds like a mid sized grand to me, but I'm not sure.

#483507 - 11/03/08 05:25 PM Re: Ligeti - L'escalier du Diable
William A.P.M. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ecuador
good job! The only thing I see that is very difficult to bring out from etude no. 13 is the dynamics in the high registers, and the inner voices in the left during the legato playing.

What I am specifically referring to is the section marked 'poco a poco quasi senza pedale.'
You can see the left hand part having marcato signs and these are the ones hard to bring out. Failing to do so can make this harmony quite boring and the simultaneous playing of both hands just sound like staccato notes all over the place.

I did notice your performance was very good and very well memorized as well, as there were no signs of a horrible slip here or there.

I applaud you for your success!

#483508 - 11/03/08 07:15 PM Re: Ligeti - L'escalier du Diable
jtattoo Offline

Loc: Austin TX
Bravo Bravo!! I am impressed. Thanx for sharing the performance and what an awesome piece.

#483509 - 11/03/08 08:16 PM Re: Ligeti - L'escalier du Diable
lisztonian Offline

Is there any free sheet music of this? Can't seem to find any...

#483510 - 11/03/08 09:36 PM Re: Ligeti - L'escalier du Diable
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
 Quote:
Originally posted by rinforzando:
Is there any free sheet music of this? Can't seem to find any... [/b]
Surely it's still copyright - Ligeti only died 2 years ago!

#483511 - 11/04/08 02:54 AM Re: Ligeti - L'escalier du Diable
shaun arundell Offline

Loc: Sydney
Bravo

I'm very interested in attempting this piece and it going to be a big investment.

So

Can you take a few moments and give us some thoughts on the best way to go about it - what you found difficult and what approaches you found useful ?

thanks

#483512 - 11/04/08 05:50 PM Re: Ligeti - L'escalier du Diable
jtattoo Offline

Loc: Austin TX
Here is the link for the music Published by Schott

http://www.schott-music.com/shop/show,39223.html

#483513 - 11/05/08 05:29 AM Re: Ligeti - L'escalier du Diable
Shosty Offline

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Horowitzian - It was recorded using a Zoom H2 on a Yamaha grand piano (not sure of the size) in a large acoustically wet room. The piano is not fantastic - much of the treble range sounds very brittle and harsh - works well for Ligeti, but not so much for Beethoven (I'll post my other recordings soon).

William - thanks for the advice. That section is particularly difficult for me, I never seem to be able to play measure 37 right....

rinforzando - i have a pdf of all of his etudes. send me your email addy and I'll sent it along to you.

Shaun Arundell - First of all, good for you for wanting to tackle it. It's an incredible piece, but I do have to be honest, it is extremely discouraging to learn. Just learning the notes was a serious endeavor - I'm talking >4 hours a day for about 2 months just to get the notes under my fingers. If I could learn 2 lines in an entire day (~5 hours at the piano) then it was good day. The mental focus required was extreme. And in the end, you only have less than 5 minutes of playing to show for it!

There were SO many times that I cursed myself for deciding to learn it and I feel like this piece did take over my life a bit. I thought so many times that I would never be able to play it. I thought several times that this piece would beat me. I still kind of feel like I will never really be able to play it (that recording is the best take from probably a lot of recording!).

So I would say this: If you have a lot of patience, self confidence in your abilities, and you really want to play it, then do it! For me, if I hadn't given it my all, I would have not gotten even this far with the piece (of course there's still plenty to work on).

If you have any more questions about it, I'd be happy to help in any way.

#483514 - 11/05/08 04:42 PM Re: Ligeti - L'escalier du Diable
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Enjoyed it immensely Shosty! I can imagine the work you must have put in there. The recording was a bit "wet" has you said, but your playing still shines through.

I bought the entire volumes of the Etudes a year or so with the intention of learning one or two..they're still sitting in my book case..haha. Maybe someday I might tackle one of the easier (are there easier??) ones.

It is inspiring every time I hear someone play these pieces. Thanks and great job!

2005 NY Steinway D

#483515 - 11/05/08 09:28 PM Re: Ligeti - L'escalier du Diable
L'echange Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Romney WV
Ligeti is a modern genius, akin to Beethoven because he is always looking through the leaks of time, finding music that lasts forever.

You play the hell out of this piece! (Would that be a requirement for a successful interpretation of this piece? \:D ) Great job, and great, no doubt difficult, work. You should be proud.

Your recording has such great intensity, brooding mystery, dynamic contrast, and rhythmic understanding... most important it has great atmosphere. Ligeti was a master of atmosphere, and no doubt this was one of his main concerns.

I've never studied the piece, and certainly have no authority, but I'll try to make some comments and criticisms... "All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies"-Bokonon

\:D

This piece is really hard to jump into from nothingness... you do it very well. One of my immediate reactions was that you might be doing your crescendo a bit too fast, and not reaching a high enough peak. We may differ in opinion here, but try a bit of a slower crescendo with a louder peak. Of course you know, Ligeti was a revolutionary of dynamic marking... intentionally of course (bar 23, ffffff?). He wanted to explore the pianos timbral and musical limits. So go crazy when it is clear that you should \:\) .

Then bar 26 is really a different world, isn't it? What do you make of it? I just love the thick, low harmonies. The temporal relations of the rhythms seem a bit rushed here... I think both you and the listener (maybe) could make more sense of it if it went slower. A clear ABA'... and I think that the B section could stand out much more... besides I like it played more slowly. \:\)

I always imagined the piece in a bit of a strage way in regards to the ABA':

Imagine yourself as a passenger in a car. The piece starts and you are looking at the trees or buildings at a right angle to the direction of motion (out the side window). The trees go by so quickly that they seem blurred. Then (at the B section) you instantly look directly ahead of you... everything becomes more rational, images are easier to decifer. While you are still in the same vehicle, your perspective has changed.

Wonderful job, ONE of the BEST recordings I have heard on this site... and that isn't because Ligeti is one of my favorite composers... it is because Ligeti speaks directly through you. I know this as an absolute truth. ("All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies")

Inspiring,

Thanks!

-Albert Camus,

Jim

#483516 - 11/06/08 08:41 AM Re: Ligeti - L'escalier du Diable
Shosty Offline

Jim, thanks for such kind words. I'm really glad that you enjoyed the performance.

Several of those things that you mentioned are certainly battles that I have been fighting - the pacing of the initial crescendo, not rushing the B section.....

Your analogy about riding in the car is very interesting. For me, it's this moment of complete sensory overload. Especially the last section before the subito pp is almost dizzying to me.

Thanks again. I also recorded Arc-en-ciel the other day, maybe I'll post that here too.

Rob

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Decorations at Piano World Headquarters 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
kawai model SA-8E upright
by EthanHawaii
12/20/14 02:28 PM
Piano Felt
by Modern Conner
12/20/14 01:37 PM
5 adjacent dead keys
by levendig
12/20/14 01:18 PM
Like Someone In Love - a rhythmic approach
by marcuslchoi
12/20/14 12:43 PM
mp11
by mike2014
12/20/14 11:42 AM
Forum Stats
77372 Members
42 Forums
160016 Topics
2349874 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission