Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#484696 - 07/17/01 09:48 PM Pianos at the movies.
Eldon Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
I remember a few months ago, we were posting about pianos in movies. I went to see Score last week. It's with Deniro, Brando and Horton. Anyway, Deniro has a Steinway M (maybe smaller) I also saw Big Eden, the upright piano was TALL...taller than the guys shoulders! \:\)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#484697 - 07/18/01 07:55 AM Re: Pianos at the movies.
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

...and The Score has too short a scene with Moes Allison playing and singing at the club.

#484698 - 08/07/01 10:31 PM Re: Pianos at the movies.
ZeldaHanson Offline

Loc: Cape Cod, MA, USA
In Hannible, Anthony Hopkins plays his own composed piece for the movie in a scene. His composition is also played throughout the movie.

The problem begins when one forgets the artificiality of it all, when one neglects to pay homage to those designations that to our minds-to our reflect senses, perhaps-make of music an analyzable commodity. The trouble begins when we start to become so impressed by the strategies of ours systematized thought that we forget that it does relate to an obverse, that it is hewn from negation, that it is but a very small security against the void of negation which surrounds it.

#484699 - 08/07/01 11:14 PM Re: Pianos at the movies.
Joe Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Anyone ever see Five Easy Pieces? I loved that one. I got such a charge out of seeing an oil worker jump up onto a flatbed moving truck in the middle of a traffic jam and start playing the Chopin Fantasy in f minor!

#484700 - 08/08/01 12:31 AM Re: Pianos at the movies.
netizen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Wow! Thanks for mentioning "Five Easy Pieces", I was glancing over this thread earlier and thinking I'd mention it. I too love that movie.

A piano-themed blast from the past: "Song to Remember" ( from the 40's) about the life of Frederic Chopin. An interesting movie that was nominated for several Oscars way back then. Some other interesting tidbits: Ervin Nyiregyhazi (a brilliant pianist in his own right, who sadly isn't better known) is the "stunt-pianist" for the movie (his hands double for those of the main actor). Jose Iturbi recorded much of the music --his recording of the "Heroic" Polonaise sold over a million copies. It's also the movie that inspired Liberace to adopt the candelabra as a prop.And, on the topic of Liberace, there's his movie "Sincerely Yours" in which he plays a concert pianist going deaf..or lame (I can't remember). It's a cheesy hoot. A great old bad movie: The Beast with Five Fingers. Murder, mayhem, and a concert pianist's severed hand. Plus you get Peter Lorre (creepy as ever). And, oh yea, Nyiregyhazi's hand is featured. Other movies I've enjoyed: Autumn Sonata; Impromtu; and Ken Russell's whacky "Lisztomania".

#484701 - 08/08/01 01:57 PM Re: Pianos at the movies.
Joe Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I've seen Impromptu also, I enjoyed it. Liszt reminded me of Sting in that :P Anyone ever see The Five Thousand Fingers of Dr. T? It's the first (and last) Dr. Seuss movie, made around 1952. The maniacal piano teacher Dr. Terwilliker (Hans Conreid) kidnaps 500 piano students and puts them in jail cells in his 'happy fingers institute' and forces them to play on this monstrous piano with a never ending keyboard. The movie has all kinds of Dr. Seuss trademarks like staircases that twist and lead nowhere, crazy gadgets, weird elevators, strange beings like these two guys rollerskating around, joined toghether by one long beard, etc.

#484702 - 08/08/01 07:34 PM Re: Pianos at the movies.
Hank Drake Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
In Hannibal, Anthony Hopkins is playing J. S. Bach's Goldberg Variations, on a Bluthner grand.

Hopkins has also done some composing, and wrote the score for "August," which he also starred in & directed.

Eldon, I saw Big Eden at our local film festival in March and LOVED it. I can harly wait for the DVD!

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell

#484703 - 08/08/01 11:09 PM Re: Pianos at the movies.
da Offline

Has anybody seen "Madame Sousatzka" I love that movie. It stars Shirley MacLaine

#484704 - 08/09/01 11:24 AM Re: Pianos at the movies.
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
"Madame Sousatska" is a good movie whose basic premise is that of a modest piano teacher not wanting to let her gifted student to on to bigger and better things. Something like a parent who doesn't want "to let go" when the time comes to do so.
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#484705 - 08/11/01 11:55 AM Re: Pianos at the movies.
netizen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Wasn't "Madame Sousatzka" supposedly based on the life of Isabella Vengerova?? I sort of remember reading that somewhere...

#484706 - 08/11/01 02:09 PM Re: Pianos at the movies.
Diarmuid Offline

Mike Myers plays a Bosendorfer in "The Spy Who Shagged Me" and Doris Day plays a Steinway in Hitch****'s second version of "The Man Who Knew Too Much".

Do you think Bluthner should advertise on the Hannibal Lector theme? "As played by your favourite homicidal psychopath" ;\)

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: Diarmuid ]

#484707 - 08/11/01 02:10 PM Re: Pianos at the movies.
Diarmuid Offline

God almighty! You can't even say Alfred Hitch**** without censorship from the software here ;\)

#484708 - 08/11/01 04:03 PM Re: Pianos at the movies.
ryan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
But apparently it will let you type "shag". \:\)

Ryan

#484709 - 08/11/01 07:09 PM Re: Pianos at the movies.
Diarmuid Offline

Clearly an older version ;\)

#484710 - 08/12/01 12:24 AM Re: Pianos at the movies.
Eldon Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hank,
I also LOVED Big Eden. The attitude of the "locals" was wonderful. This afternoon I went to see Original Sin. There were 2 "grand" scenes in it; but I couldn't identify the make. However, it contained some Schumann (Scenes From Childhood) in the wrong key, L.M. Gottschalk (Bamboula) and Granados. I quietly told my friends the names of these pieces. At the end, while watching the credits, I saw that I totally missed Berlioz. Anyway my friend Mary Jo said that if she was ever on the "Millionaire Show", she would have to have my for her 'music lifeline'. \:\) Now my question is this: After hearing Bamboula, it instantly made me think of another Gottschalk piece. But, you know what? My mind is totally blank. Can anyone think of what I'm thinking of, so I can get a peaceful night's sleep. I wouldn't want to play ANY wrong notes at church in the AM. \:\)

#484711 - 08/13/01 09:51 PM Re: Pianos at the movies.
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
Diarmuid,

It's sort of ironic isn't it! This 4-letter word is getting more attention than if it had actually been explicitly used and uncensored it seems to me. Can't help but chuckle.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
133 registered (36251, ando, Almaviva, ABC Vermonter, 43 invisible), 1378 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153693 Topics
2253081 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Top Of The World Piano - The Carpenters
by Phuc Pham
3 minutes 7 seconds ago
Which piano suits what music best?
by wimpiano
47 minutes 30 seconds ago
Send midi files from Windows 7 to Clavinova CLP150
by vilbs
Today at 05:54 AM
Spelling chords and using correct accidentals
by JoelW
Today at 03:11 AM
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
Yesterday at 11:26 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission