2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I'm considering going into piano performance there at sometime in the near future.

Would this be a viable audition program? Should I try and refine myself before auditioning?

Baroque
Bach: WTC Book I, P&F no. 16 in G minor
Classical
Beethoven: Sonata op. 2 no. 1 in F minor, 1st mvt.
Romantic
Alkan: Allegro Barbaro OR perhaps the 1st mvt. of the Waldstein(might do a Mozart sonata for classical in that case)
20th Century:
Debussy: 1st Arabesque perhaps?(Is this not hard enough?)

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I don't know what the requirements are for this particular school, so take this with a grain of salt...

For the 20th century piece I would recommend something a little more difficult and a little more modern than the Debussy Arabesque. Not that Debussy can't be used, but the Arabesques are not his most mature works and are still very firmly rooted in romanticism.

I would stay away from doing two Beethoven sonatas, so if you go with Waldstein, then yes, definitely do a Mozart sonata as your classical. Also, while a case can be made for Beethoven's Op. 2/1 being classical, you may want to stick with the Mozart anyway as it is more firmly a "classical" piece, where the Beethoven is classical that's starting to cross into romanticism.

I like the Bach P/F - that's a strong one for an audition.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
T
T
I think my audition's going to be weaker than that... AND I'm older.

I think you're fine. If you can perform that Allegro Barbaro at a top notch level, that'll blow some people away. The Debussy might be a little too easy, you could always try for some Ravel if you like French composers or some Russians like Prokofiev or Shostakovich are always good.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If you can play the first movement of the Waldstein, why would you ever use Op. 2, No.1 as your classical requirement? The F minor, while lovely, is not a mature work and is not what I would consider a strong choice for a performance degree audition. Use the Alkan for your Romantic, but make sure you can play it very well. I agree you should do something other than the Arabesque, perhaps one of the Preludes or Estampes or Miroirs. (Jardins is a very strong choice for an audition.)

I also looked at the Rutgers website. I didn't know Susan Starr was on the faculty! I'm from New Jersey and I never really thought much about Rutgers for music. Rider seems to get all the attention.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
here, these are the requirements

All major and minor scales and arpeggios
A movement or a complete work by Bach, Handel, Scarlatti, or a comparable composer from the Baroque period
A movement or a complete work by Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, or a comparable composer from the Classical period
A complete work by Schubert, Schumann, Brahms, Chopin, Liszt, or a comparable composer from the Romantic period
A short work by Debussy, Ravel, Copland, Barber, or a comparable composer from the Twentieth Century

http://www.masongross.rutgers.edu/admissions/aud_music_ugr_keyboard.html

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission