Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#485801 - 02/07/08 12:37 AM Grieg : Notturno, Op 54, No 4
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
(recording deleted)

I started this a week ago, and hope to have it sort-of-ready for my lesson this Saturday.

It's still in the learning stages, but if you hear anything that needs serious re-working, I'd appreciate your input.

I'll post a better recording of it in a few days, I hope, when it begins to feel more comfortable under my fingers, and perhaps will add it to Members Recordings forum.

So, why post a recording of it now, you ask? Sometimes it helps to get input when a work is still in its early, formative stages, even if it's not yet performance-ready.

Fire away!

Regards,

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#485802 - 02/07/08 12:46 AM Re: Grieg : Notturno, Op 54, No 4
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Pretty good for one week. \:\)

Careful not to rush, especially with the 2-against-3 in the first section. Something that helped me with this was to ignore the ties in that first section left hand, and just play straight triplets against the right hand straight duplets.

The middle section -- marked "piu mosso". I know it's the hardest part, so when you're more comfortable with the notes, you'll be able to play it more lightly and quickly.

Also, maybe a little more time between sections. For example, after the first section, before the bird trills (pause after mm. 14). Take a deep breath.

On the same note, good job with the rests at the end. I'm looking forward to hearing your next recording.

#485803 - 02/07/08 01:19 PM Re: Grieg : Notturno, Op 54, No 4
BruceD Offline

Sam :

That's a good suggestion for mastering the two against three with the tied third to first note of the triplet. I was trying it the way you suggested, but I need to work on it still more diligently because I still have trouble really "feeling" the two against three in this section!

I'm always advocating breathing at ends of phrases and between sections; I just have to learn to listen more closely to what I'm playing and to practice what I'm "preaching."

Thanks for your input, Sam; it helps!

Regards,

#485804 - 02/07/08 01:38 PM Re: Grieg : Notturno, Op 54, No 4
Tacoma David Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
Dear Bruce,
Am a new member to Piano Forum I noticed that you are playing the Grieg Notturno. This is one of my favorite pieces, and I just performed it in Tacoma on Jan 20 at the dedication/celebration recital for our newly acquired 1928 Hamburg Steinway O. It permits a wide dynamic range as well as great finesse.
Good luck with the piece...it is certainly appealing to audiences (and being of Norwegian descent, it certainly "speaks to me." David (Dahl), Tacoma, WA.

#485805 - 02/07/08 02:03 PM Re: Grieg : Notturno, Op 54, No 4
Jack3491 Offline

Loc: UK
hey there, i also started this piece a few weeks ago here are some tips for you

- maybe more expressive on that right hand motif
- in the first section bring out the chromatioc lower line a little more.

- I also found a book at my local library called 'The pianists repertoire, Grieg' whic goes into detail about all of Grieg's piano pieces, and how to play them
- Download sibelius scorch and use this resource, slow down the tempo (on the scorch music) and it could help you to understand the thirds against the duplets a little clearer,

http://www.mfiles.co.uk/scores/grieg-lyric-piece-op54-no4-notturno.htm

Hope this was of some help,

#485806 - 02/07/08 03:15 PM Re: Grieg : Notturno, Op 54, No 4
BruceD Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack3491:
- Download sibelius scorch and use this resource, slow down the tempo (on the scorch music) and it could help you to understand the thirds against the duplets a little clearer,

http://www.mfiles.co.uk/scores/grieg-lyric-piece-op54-no4-notturno.htm

Hope this was of some help, [/b]
Thank you, Jack.

It's not that I don't "understand" two against three; my comment was that, in this particular piece, I don't yet "feel" them, naturally.

Regards,

#485807 - 02/08/08 12:06 PM Re: Grieg : Notturno, Op 54, No 4
ted.stanion Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Well done for a week of work. I've been playing this piece for a bit over two months and hope I can play it this well. I'm not sure that I'm qualified to give advice, but I agree with Sam about the pause before the trill section. Similarly, my teacher wants me to take a smaller breath in the piĆ¹ mosso section just before the ppp[/b]. You can take it or leave it, but I find it to be effective.

Ted

#485808 - 02/08/08 04:09 PM Re: Grieg : Notturno, Op 54, No 4
wdot Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina, USA
Very nice, Bruce, particularly as you've been playing it for such a short time. The middle section is fun once you get it under your fingers.

The 2 vs. 3 is undoubtedly the hardest thing to do in this piece. I play it at slightly quicker clip, and frankly the 2 vs. 3 flows better.

One question/suggestion. Have you thought about playing the right hand grace notes in the main subject on the first beat of the measure, and then bringing the interior voice in just slightly after the beat? Getting the third triplet of the last beat in and then trying to fit the the grace note in makes for a very busy end to each measure. Plus, the grace note is also a melody note, and I think it's better to keep the melodic flow on the beat. That's just my opinion, and reasonable minds could certainly differ.

You're a very musical player. Keep up the good work. I wish I were as dedicated as you obviously are.

Regards,

Walt

#485809 - 03/10/08 10:57 AM Re: Grieg : Notturno, Op 54, No 4
randini Offline

Hello fellow Noctturno players,

I've been playing this piece for some time now as well and I'm having a hard time working out the right hand in the 'piu mosso' section. Specifically the 2nd phrase (starting with f# and a in the RH).

I just can't seem to build up speed or consistency in those couple measures. I'm noticing some poor coordination among the fingers in the ascending portion of the phrase. Any advice?

(I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, just thought Bruce might had some fresh input.)

-Randy

#485810 - 03/10/08 01:38 PM Re: Grieg : Notturno, Op 54, No 4
BruceD Offline

randini :

A few things that helped me work up this lovely Nocturne :

1) Think of the bridge of the hand as being fairly firm, but without any stiffness in the fingers

2) Executing those right hand passages, the weight of the arm should be on the outer fingers (3, 4, and 5)

3) Excecute those short phrases with a down-up motion of the wrist and arm.

4) For practice purposes, try playing the top note legato and the bottom note staccato, and then reverse, playing the top note staccato and the bottom note legato. This should eventually help getting them to sound absolutely together.

Regards,

#485811 - 03/10/08 01:38 PM Re: Grieg : Notturno, Op 54, No 4
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Hi Randy,

That's the hardest part of the piece... the same part that I struggled with the most! Since the difficulty is in playing 2 notes at the same time in the right hand, I tried playing it through first with only the top notes, and then I played all the way through with only the bottom notes. When that was comfortable, then I tried again with both top and bottom notes together. It's sort of like a "hands separate" kind of idea, except, of course, you're splitting up the 2 parts that are both played by the same hand. I hope that helps.

Bruce, how's it going?

#485812 - 03/10/08 01:41 PM Re: Grieg : Notturno, Op 54, No 4
BruceD Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pianojerome:
Bruce, how's it going? [/b]
Sam :

It's much more comfortable now; thanks for asking.

I like to think that I have refined my playing of this piece, therefore I removed the recording from this thread. That recording was the result of one week of work on the piece, and I feel it deserves a better recording than that one. I will try sometime soon to post a new recording of it in the Members Recordings section.

Regards,

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
66 registered (AndrewJCW, 36251, Baudelaire, barmassimo, bennevis, beeboss, 15 invisible), 1147 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156245 Topics
2294643 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Gustav Lutz?
by MartaG
22 minutes 43 seconds ago
Can anyone help me identify Bach's music in this soundtrack?
by WellTemperedPizza
Today at 05:30 AM
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
Today at 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
Today at 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission