Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
137 registered (Al LaPorte, accordeur, 44 invisible), 1612 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Forum Stats
76982 Members
42 Forums
159226 Topics
2339010 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Topic Options
#486624 - 07/14/01 11:10 PM Child "Prodigies" ?
magnezium Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
an opinion poll... what do you guys think of very young pianists who seem to be technically very talented and give concerts and win competitions etc. etc.? are they merely technique, mass-produced by teachers, without any maturity or interpretation, or are they to respected as tomorrow's creme de la creme musicians?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#486625 - 07/15/01 02:07 PM Re: Child "Prodigies" ?
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I would think that they are tomorrow's great pianists, as long as they continue to grow musically. One good example is Evgeny Kissin, he was a great pianist early on as a child and is considered one of the best now.

#486626 - 07/15/01 10:03 PM Re: Child "Prodigies" ?
netizen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I don't know that it's an either/or kind of thing. Their lives and talents are as varied and complicated as any nowadays. Some do go on to achieve great things as performers, others burn-out, drift into other interests.
Certainly, these kids have rare gifts that need encouragement and support to grow. The idea of that "they" are all "technique" is something of an unfair conceit. I've heard some pretty amazing performances. Actually, one of the things I enjoy listening to (when I have the chance) is Public Radio's "From the Top". It's hosted by Christopher O'Riley and features some of the most exceptionally talented teenagers you're likely to find. You can also listen to it online. Somewhere on the web page they have a link to archived radio broadcasts (IMHO, the website is very poorly designed). Here's the link:
http://www.fromthetop.org

#486627 - 07/16/01 10:36 AM Re: Child "Prodigies" ?
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
I agree with Netizen. I don't know that there's any way of predicting the future of a child prodigy; s/he may be just that and, when an adult, may have burn-out, may not have the artistic maturity necessary to become a great artist, or may just lose interest in the field.
Conversely, we may ask who are some of the great artists who came to music relatively late in life and yet made a career out of concertizing?
Regards,

#486628 - 07/16/01 03:33 PM Re: Child "Prodigies" ?
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Sometimes I am envious of their abilities. It is certainly humbling to have a 6 yr. old child play circles around you. I'm a late bloomer and I never had the supporting or nurturing environment that a lot of these children have. I was constantly competing with the television and you can guess who usually won. Anyways, I think some of these kids have a gift, but it can be a curse in some respects. Some of them are socially maladjusted, and are often receive resentment for their talent. I think the life of a performing artist can often be a lonely road and one must feel rootless always globetrotting to give concerts. As the others have said its a very complex issue and I think each individual case is probably very unique.

#486629 - 07/16/01 03:51 PM Re: Child "Prodigies" ?
Norbert Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
As a child I grew up in a very musical family
in Germany and was pushed to play at very young age. It seemed to rile me endlessly that my own performance was never appreciated
in comparison to some very serious "winners"
which quickly became the talk of town[Berlin]
After nearly 50 years I'm still playing,
immensly enjoying myself in a semi-professional way. All the other "Wunderkinder
are long gone. I've never heard their name again! Glad I didn't win all the competitions
Next year I'll play in Berlin.Professionally!

#486630 - 07/16/01 06:37 PM Re: Child "Prodigies" ?
Daniel Offline

Loc: Denmark
Vid,

I know exactly what you mean.. or almost atleast. Though I haven't been playing the piano for more than a couple of years (and only been taking lessons for about a year) I can't do anything but envy those children.. Not so long ago I saw a 10 year old boy perform Chopin's Fantasie-Impromptu, and I was amazed to watch how easily his fingers ran across the keys. For him playing the piano was a game just like any other games and he looked really happy with what he was doing!
In a short period of time I really envied that boy.
It's just sad to know that many of the child 'prodegies' aren't having fun at all because they are being pushed too hard by their parents and teachers. Many of theese children unvillingly miss out on their childhood which I think is one of the greatest crimes! \:\(

But still.. Man I could really use a talent like that right now! :p

- Daniel

really want's to learn the Fantasie-impromptu sometime \:D

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: Daniel ]

#486631 - 07/16/01 10:21 PM Re: Child "Prodigies" ?
PianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philly, PA
I would guess that being a child prodigy is a give-take relationship. Sure, they have a talent that most of us envy...but so many of them are losing their childhoods and not having the fufilling freindships that children need to mature and grow into happy adults. While we may envy them now, give it a decade or two and we will be glad that we had the chance as kids to be, well, a kid, and not a puppet of overbearing parents or a piano teacher.

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: PianoMuse ]

#486632 - 07/17/01 06:46 AM Re: Child "Prodigies" ?
magnezium Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
 Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
really want's to learn the Fantasie-impromptu sometime \:D[/b]

me too! but it's one of those pieces i admire so much that i wouldn't touch until i'm at the technical level to take it on...

and thanks for all the replies... it's been a really interesting read for me...=]

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shoninger Upright pianos
by JMichaelWilson
11/20/14 09:19 PM
How can a piano tech ...
by pianoloverus
11/20/14 07:02 PM
Keeping cats away from piano?
by DeadPoets
11/20/14 07:00 PM
What music do play for your partner/husband/wife
/sweetie?

by Johan B
11/20/14 04:51 PM
One for you soundboard gurus...
by RonTuner
11/20/14 03:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission