2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#486741 03/27/05 11:12 PM
OP Offline
have they released it on dvd? aw it on one of the encore channels was going to buy it but cant find a dvd which elkads to to wonder is it even on dvd

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I don't know if it's on DVD, but it is probably on video.

hmm, you're from Indiana too? you wouldn't happen to have a competition on April 2nd would you? (lol just wondering, because I have one and I'm dying to know who the other people are going to be) smile

Regards

Raspberry liqueur, apparently. :p
I have a competition on April 2! But . . . It's in SC. I've found that we have a lot in common, Quidam. We're both homeschooled, both juniors. Well, good luck on your competition! (Didn't mean to hijack the post. Sorry.)

"The aim and the final reason of all music should be nothing else but the glory of God and the refreshment of the human spirit."
-Johann Sebastian Bach

P.S. Rach rocks
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
good luck on your competition too! smile I didn't realize that you were a homeshchooled junior too. I wonder how many homeschooler are on the board anyway.... you and NAK and me, at least.

btw, what are you playing on your 4-2?

Originally posted by Quidam:
good luck on your competition too! smile I didn't realize that you were a homeshchooled junior too. I wonder how many homeschooler are on the board anyway.... you and NAK and me, at least.

btw, what are you playing on your 4-2?
It's for a Russian Masters' Young Artists' Piano Competition. I'm playing Preludes Op. 23, Nos. 6 and 7 by Rachmaninoff. I really like these two pieces. It's the first Rachmaninoff I've played, and I hope to play lots more! He's my absolutely favorite composer. What's your program for the 2nd?

"The aim and the final reason of all music should be nothing else but the glory of God and the refreshment of the human spirit."
-Johann Sebastian Bach

P.S. Rach rocks
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
sounds good. I love Rachmaninov, but I haven't had a chance to really study any of his work yet. I'm playing Prelude and Fugue in F# from WTC book 1, the third movement of Ravel's sonatine, and a commissioned piece written by one of the faculty members of the university that is holding this competition. Lucky me, I've already performed Bach and Ravel a few times, so I won't crash and burn. smile

Great! I just finished all three movements of the Ravel Sonatine. Isn't it great? My cat is even named 'Ravel'! I'm also working on Prelude and Fugue in F#-minor from WTC book 1. Not sure if you meant minor or major - but we're close, either way! laugh How long have you been playing piano? I've been playing for about 7 years.
Lauren
P.S. Maybe we should stop hijacking this thread? *Oops*
Good luck on the 2nd! I'm sure you'll do well! thumb

-Johann Sebastian Bach

P.S. Rach rocks
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I'm listening to those Rach. preludes now... Wow! They sound really fun, but very hard! Are they really as difficult as they sound? :p

Sam
Hmm I have a competetion well prelimiaries of one coming up soon as well. On April 10 I'm playing the Prelude from Debussy's Pour Le Piano and a chinese piece that is a dance. If I make it into finals I get to play those 2 plus 3rd Movement of Moonlight. Heh Pianojerome, I'm listening to Rachmaninoff right now but its not Piano music smile . It's The Bells and its very nice.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Well, on the topic of competitions... wink

I've got one next Tuesday. I'm playing:

Bach: 2-Part Invention in C
Chopin: Waltz in A Minor, Op. 34 No. 2
Chopin: Revolutionary Etude in C Minor, Op. 10 No. 12
Shostakovich: Prelude in C, Op. 34 No. 1

I like the program... starts in C Major, ends in C Major, two minor keys in the middle... ENDS with a PRELUDE... showy with the etude but modest with the invention and prelude... the waltz is just lovely...

I hope that we all win! thumb

Sam
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
So do I! especially since we're not competing against each other... Lauren, hmmm good for you on learning the whole sonatine.. I haven't really had the time to learn the first two movements yet. (I also hate memorising.. I usually put it off lol) but I'd love to have them eventually. So lovely... I'm working on the F# major prelude and fugue at the moment.

Sam, is this a scholarship competition or something? What's your time limit? it looks like kind of a lot of pieces for a competition. (or at least for most of the ones I've been in)

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
10 minutes is the limit. The winner gets $1100 to go to Europe for a week or two during the summer (which means I would only have to pay a couple thousand dollars, rather than several thousand dollars... :p ), his/her name plastered on a wall at school, humiliation ( smile ) in front of the whole school, and a performance at a district function.

Actually, I may yet change the program! But that right there is only about 8 minutes (with a 10-minute limit)

Sam
I really need to work on some Bach. I've only done some of his 2 part inventions. Hopefully Ill be doing some preludes and fugues soon.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O goodness, Bassoony you'll probably love Bach. I hope you will anyway. some of the best music... smile

HOLY CARP! you might get to go to Europe, Sam? LUCKY! Is it some music workshop type deal or something? O man.. wow I'm insanely jealous right now, but I hope it works out for you!

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Well, I'd have to visit some music festivals and/or concerts, and send back a postcard or two to the district board!

Where would I go? France? Norway? Germany? I don't know... but, there are 7 other fine musicians auditioning, so I will just have to wait and see if I even do win!

Sam
Originally posted by pianojerome:
I'm listening to those Rach. preludes now... Wow! They sound really fun, but very hard! Are they really as difficult as they sound? :p
Sam,
I've really enjoyed learning these two Rach preludes. I'm not sure if they're as hard as you hear them to be. But I'm sure that you could learn them, considering what else you're playing. You're probably light-years ahead of me! Good luck on the competition Tuesday! Wow! Europe! I'd die for a chance like that. Although, yes, it would still cost alot!
Lauren

-Johann Sebastian Bach

P.S. Rach rocks
P
P
Wow, it must really be the competition time of the year, because I have a huge audition on April 2nd as well. It's an audition to play at the Panel Recital for the MTAC, and they only choose about 30 out of all of California.

Anyways, my little program is:

Chopin: Scherzo in Bb minor
Bach: Prelude and Fugue in Bb minor, WTC I
Prokofiev: Sonata in D minor, No.2 (4th mvmt)

I really hope we all get something this weekend. Good luck everyone!

Pumpkinhead

Good luck, y'all.

And back to the topic. Um . . . I love the movie "The Competition." It isn't really about what it's supposedly about, of course. The only reason SHE wins is that HE gave her the passion to be able to play the Prokofiev . . . his love and her love fueled the passion that was needed for the interpretation, so it's very ironic that it's his OWN fault that SHE wins. Of course in competitions the flashy ones win, despite the depth of some other interpretations of other works (in the film, HIS character played a MASTERFUL Emperor and the audience of hardened veterans and other pianists was crying because they were so moved.) I TiVo-ed it off of TCM or another of the movie channels without commercials. My best friend in high school and I saw it in a large old-fashioned theater when it first came out. She walked out of there thinking she was going to start piano and be able to play the Emperor concerto! *grin* I had by then been playing for years (since I was three or four years old, but after that not continuously with lessons) and was only playing Fur Elise, Moonlight mvt. 1, Pathetique slow mvt., Schubert moments musical, Chopin preludes, et al. (And am probably still about that level, because I have periods of time when I have to devote myself to other pursuits and don't get to practice!) But I do love the film. Hope it IS out there on DVD. You can probably catch it on a movie channel if you watch for it. Do try to catch it!

I got Lincoln Mayorga's CDs after noticing that he is the one who played the music for many of the actors. The guy who played the Emperor, interestingly enough, doesn't have any CDs out--Chester someone. I absolutely thought the interpretation was wonderful in the movie! (Though you only get to hear portions of the concerto, naturally, but you do get to see Richard Dreyfuss' character correcting the conductor re the sforzando and getting applause from the orchestra!)

Music soothes the savage anything.
www.livejournal.com/users/shalanna

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission